New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Father and daughter

hipchack

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Father and daughter

Hey y'all,

First time posting a picture for critique.

This photo is of a father and daughter walking near Haystack Rock along the Oregon Coast. I made the picture black and white, then cropped and darkened the sky.

Appreciate any critique and thank you for taking the time to take a look.
oregon beach , father and daughter by David Lim, on Flickr

David

Edited on Jul 06, 2017 at 11:59 AM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2017 at 09:56 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Father and daughter

Welcome Hipchack to Photo Critique, and this photo is a fine start. My first suggestion is that when you upload images, you want to size them about 1000 PX on the long side so that we don't have to scroll to the right to see the whole image. Here's what it will look like...

Jul 06, 2017 at 07:32 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Father and daughter

There is a lot to like about your photo. You've captured a wonderful moment and from an interesting vantage point. The father and daughter become monumental emulating the rock outcroppings. In addition, the rippling patterns in the sand add interesting textural content and act as leading lines guiding us to the figures and rocks.

I hope you don't mind me posting a rework of your image, If not, I'll be glad to take it down. I prefer a tighter crop bringing us closer to the figures, but that is to taste. I've also made some curves and levels adjustements to make the image pop more, as well as some sharpening.

Like I said, a good start, and please show us more of your images.

Steve

Jul 06, 2017 at 08:00 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Father and daughter

I like Steves rework.

Jul 06, 2017 at 10:31 AM
hipchack

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Father and daughter

Thank you for the comments Steve. I do need to "focus" my crops as sometimes I try to add too much extra into a picture. Often times it's just extra and can distract from the purpose of the image. Appreciate it.

David

Jul 06, 2017 at 11:55 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Father and daughter

David,

Welcome and very nice shot! I very much like the simplistic and artistic look you've got going on.

I think Steve's crop is a bit too tight - I like the expansive look and small figures against the grand scene.

My eyes see it more like below.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 06, 2017 at 01:15 PM
hipchack

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Father and daughter

Thanks Jeff. I wanted to make the enormous haystack appear small when the father and daughter walked by, which the viewpoint exaggerated even more. I like both crops, but feel yours is more in line with what I wanted to represent.

Appreciate it.

David

Jul 06, 2017 at 01:39 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Father and daughter

Fine image to open with!
Or continue with!
I very much like the comp
The distant rocks suggest more parent-child relationships, really making the image more powerful.
Now here's the trouble: I like all of the crops!

Scott

Jul 06, 2017 at 06:49 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Father and daughter

Hi David! Welcome to the PC forum!

Not much to add that hasn't already been addressed other than to say I like your shot!
I'm normally not keen on having humans in a shot like this but I think the human element is exactly what makes this image complete and brings it up a notch. Good eye!

Dave

Jul 06, 2017 at 08:20 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.