Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Off Topic FYI

Marty Bingham
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Off Topic FYI

I use Photobucket to store photos that I want to link to websites like this one. It has been free until recently but now they are charging for the share feature. No complaints from me, more power to them, I just thought I would pass the information along to anyone who uses the service and hasn't heard the news.

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

Edit - I just noticed my profile photo that I have linked through them is gone.

Jul 05, 2017 at 06:09 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Off Topic FYI

And the surprise here is
Similar tactic been done before on other sites. Hardly a new business strategy. I call it the Drug dealers business model. Get someone hooked on something and then hold them to ransom for it.

I really don't understand what the attraction to these hosting sites are? People are ALWAYS complaining about something with them, many of them are far from cheap, you can get your own site and hosting at very affordable prices these days and have full and complete control over it. There are also many good FREE image hosting programs and set up order fulfillment, payment and everything else at cheaper rates than the hosting sites charge.
I spose the answer to why more don't do it rally comes down to the truth being laziness. It's certainly not technically difficult anymore.

I have had my own web space since '95 and although I don't have a site on it as such ATM, it's still a good repository for pics, documents and info I can and may want to access when I'm not at home.

For $7 a month, it's affordable for anyone and there are no unexpected or unwanted surprises.

Jul 06, 2017 at 03:31 AM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Off Topic FYI

No surprise. A lot of people have their blog content, along with a history of photos linked to sites like this one, channeled through Photobucket and now those links are cut. I'm just passing the information along to those who might not know it yet.

Marty

Jul 06, 2017 at 11:08 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Off Topic FYI

glort wrote:
And the surprise here is
Similar tactic been done before on other sites. Hardly a new business strategy. I call it the Drug dealers business model. Get someone hooked on something and then hold them to ransom for it.

I really don't understand what the attraction to these hosting sites are? People are ALWAYS complaining about something with them, many of them are far from cheap, you can get your own site and hosting at very affordable prices these days and have full and complete control over it. There are also many good FREE image hosting programs and set up order
...Show more

I'm "hooked" on the free Flickr .... hope they don't go the way of photobucket
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Jul 09, 2017 at 11:06 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Off Topic FYI

CW100 wrote:
I'm "hooked" on the free Flickr .... hope they don't go the way of photobucket
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I'd suggest the odds of them staying free long term are probably not favorable.

Then again, if photobucket falls in smouldering heap with their business model change, they may realise the best model is the one they already have. :0)

Jul 09, 2017 at 11:25 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password