FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Dragonfly - First real crack at extension tubes

Aaron Collins
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dragonfly - First real crack at extension tubes

...At least I think it's a dragonfly. One thing I've noticed looking at macros is there are so many names for insects that I grew up misusing. I'm a stickler for accuracy - one of my biggest pet peeves is when people refer to wasps and yellow jackets as bees - so I welcome corrections of this type. Anyway I just recently got a set of Kenko tubes which I've been using with my 100L, both on my 7DII and my 5DIV. I'm finding I prefer using the 5DIV. Using all three tubes with the 7DII is damn near impossible handheld (at least with my skill level). I have followed this forum for years and I'm honestly amazed at what you guys can do. Much more appreciation for this craft the more I do it.

I shot these handheld, manual with ETTL on a wireless Flashpoint speedlight with a mini softbox on the end (handheld right above and behind the lens front element - I really should get a bracket). Used all three tubes for these, and used autofocus. I have the backbutton set to switch to servo while it's held; been using a combination of servo and one shot throughout the process depending on the situation. The DOF moves so much especially when the little bug is on a leaf or flower that's swaying in the wind it's almost impossible to keep the thing in focus for more than a fraction of a second. Again I'm just amazed at how folks have been pulling this off, especially with older cameras. I don't know how I could have done this with my old 40D.

All tips and advice appreciated!

Jul 05, 2017 at 10:51 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dragonfly - First real crack at extension tubes

Nice images. If the subject is swaying to and from you, or if you are not locked solid, try anticipation. Focus just ahead of the approaching subject and press the button just before it is in focus. You might be surprised how many keepers that will get.

If you are using full aperture focusing, try stopping down to check the DOF, then focus just on the near side of where you judged half way to be.

Harold

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:45 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.