p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

Super photos.

Jul 05, 2017 at 10:29 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

arbitrage wrote:
Somehow I doubt the Sony 400/4 if that is even what it will be as most think it will be a 400/2.8 will be cheaper than the Canon version. Sony adds a big premium to most of its lenses like 100-400, 70-200 etc....not to mention the ludicrously expensive A-Mount super telephotos.

I can't see how Sony will come in only 100gms heavier if they do a refractive optic.....look at the size difference between a 400/4 and 400/4DO.....

There are 400 f/4 prototypes in the wild and at this stage it appears more realistic chance than 400 f/2.8. Price is surprising if true, but then again the new 12-24 is a lot cheaper than expected. The rumoured price for the 400 f/4 is $4500, so not cheap but not unfeasible. Anyway I guess we will find out before end of the year if it's at all true.

Jul 05, 2017 at 10:50 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

Pixel Perfect wrote:
There are 400 f/4 prototypes in the wild and at this stage it appears more realistic chance than 400 f/2.8. Price is surprising if true, but then again the new 12-24 is a lot cheaper than expected. The rumoured price for the 400 f/4 is $4500, so not cheap but not unfeasible. Anyway I guess we will find out before end of the year if it's at all true.

400/4 for $4500? and they sell a 100-400/5.6 for $2500 and they sell a 300/2.8 for $7500 which is similar front element size. If Sony really did come in at $4500 that would be a miracle....I would probably buy one at that price....much better value than the 100-400GM is.

Where are you reading reports of prototypes in the wild? I've only read a couple wild speculation SAR posts on the lens and nothing sounded like real leaks.

Jul 05, 2017 at 10:54 PM
burningheart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

PetKal wrote:
Now, I wish Canon Camera Division would start developing a 1DXMkIII in the right direction: have an option to back off the 14 FPS frame rate in order to enable very high density imaging resolution of 50 Mp as a minimum, and spread out the AF point array in VF much more, even if the additional peripheral AF points would have to be lower sensitivity/accuracy. Yeah, and Canon please fix that AF point control joystick once for good, as you do not seem to appreciate the kind of AF point moving speed/efficiency which fast action photography necessitates.

(Incidentally, I am ready
...Show more

I am envious, though I think Apple and Canon have a secret agreement in place, no high end 1DX 50MP until Apple upgrades their laptops to allow more than 16GB memory. Both are moving at a snails pace.

Jul 05, 2017 at 11:29 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

PetKal wrote:
Jeff, you know me too well: the lens was the 800.

________
"Then there are lies, more lies and statistics."

----Mark Twain

Seriously though those are terrific shots, but I'll do with what I've got (now where did I hear that one)?

Jul 05, 2017 at 11:51 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

Loons have turned out to be the most approachable waterfowl on a kayak and often come towards me and surface within a foot away from the kayak after diving for food.
_________
No wonder your shots are so sharp. The closer they are the better they look.

Jul 05, 2017 at 11:53 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

burningheart wrote:
I am envious, though I think Apple and Canon have a secret agreement in place, no high end 1DX 50MP until Apple upgrades their laptops to allow more than 16GB memory. Both are moving at a snails pace.

Good for you, Robert, you've figured it out.
Nice to hear from you again, unfortunately the FM Canon forum has lost too many good oldtimers in the past couple of years.

Jul 06, 2017 at 04:30 AM
reko
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

You'd never know these shots didn't come from a top of the line body, nice job. As you mentioned, the limitation with big glass is the minimal focus points. If I get a good in flight shot handheld with the 800 with 1.4 on my 1 DX it's a happy accident.

Jul 06, 2017 at 04:59 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Sony A9 might not get many pros to switch yet, but it's clearly the future for cameras. If Canon could do something similar but it vastly superior DSLR style body, much bigger battery, grip, etc but with the benefits of e-shutter, even hybrid EVF + OVF, totlally silent shooting, >14fps then I'd have no problem staying solely within Canon universe. Whether that happens in time for 1DXIII or maybe some other camera will come along, given there are rumours finally of FF mirrorless in 15 months with EF mount, who knows.

The lead time required for development is the tough part to get around. Canon would have to already be at the prototype phase for an A9 competitor to get it out in time for the 2020 Olympics. The other thing is that for pro sports you are going to need a global shutter. Too much banding at pro arenas and stadiums with all the multimedia lights and ads. I was not impressed with the A9 electronic shutter on that Fro video. I doubt Canon would release a 1D series body that is vulnerable to that.

Jul 06, 2017 at 06:28 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

IMHO, if you want to capture an image that stands out you actually do need hides, kayaks, camera traps, feeding and a lot of time. For me photography (wildlife and landscaping) is a lot of planning. If you are depending on a lucky moment, you might wait your entire life for something that might just never come to you. If your gear is capable of capturing what you have invisioned, there is no need to debate whether you need other gear or not.

No offence, but i find a lot of images here (with a few exceptions in the image boards on FM) uninspirng and empty (no story telling). Most images posted on the regular boards are obsessively focussed on the technical aspect of the image. But, ofcourse these are gear forums...

Jul 06, 2017 at 06:45 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

PetKal wrote:
Good for you, Robert, you've figured it out.
Nice to hear from you again, unfortunately the FM Canon forum has lost too many good oldtimers in the past couple of years.

Still around busy with many other endevavors. music is top of the list this week as we play for the staff and patients at a hospital tomorrow for their Stampede Breakfast. Still post infrequently but mainly in the Alt forum in particular the Leica picture thread. I thoroughly enjoy my Monochrom.

Though Canon is still my go to for color a recent pilgrimage to Fatima and Medjugore I took my 5dsR, 5D MKII modified for IR, 35L MKI, 24-70L MKII and 135L and nothing else. A month prior I picked up my first lens in a long while the Velvet 56mm in a Canon mount. I always get a Nikon mount for flexibility but it was too loose on the adapter. I saw some IR pictures taken with it and took a liking to the possibilities. No Canon lenses on the horizon until maybe the often rumoured new T+S or macro lenses or that fable new F1.0 appear. Though I keep tempting myself to get 5Ds and modify it for Full Spectrum.

Jul 06, 2017 at 09:49 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

burningheart wrote:
Still around busy with many other endevavors. music is top of the list this week as we play for the staff and patients at a hospital tomorrow for their Stampede Breakfast. Still post infrequently but mainly in the Alt forum in particular the Leica picture thread. I thoroughly enjoy my Monochrom.

Though Canon is still my go to for color a recent pilgrimage to Fatima and Medjugore I took my 5dsR, 5D MKII modified for IR, 35L MKI, 24-70L MKII and 135L and nothing else. A month prior I picked up my first lens in a long while the Velvet
...Show more

That sounds wonderful........like photography without borders. Have fun, Robert.

Jul 07, 2017 at 03:49 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

arbitrage wrote:
Where are you reading reports of prototypes in the wild? I've only read a couple wild speculation SAR posts on the lens and nothing sounded like real leaks.

Sony alpha rumors is listing the production of a 400 FE as SR4 which is 1 down from a certainty. It's from well known sources. They are testing two versions f/4 and f/2.8 and it is expected one will be released in Q3. Given it's SR4 it seems like a reasonably sure thing we'll see a supertele prime . Price would be a steal if true for the f/4, but why would it be so cheap unless they are really getting serious about going after Canon and Nikon pro users.

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:45 AM
technic
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Sony alpha rumors is listing the production of a 400 FE as SR4 which is 1 down from a certainty. It's from well known sources. They are testing two versions f/4 and f/2.8 and it is expected one will be released in Q3. Given it's SR4 it seems like a reasonably sure thing we'll see a supertele prime . Price would be a steal if true for the f/4, but why would it be so cheap unless they are really getting serious about going after Canon and Nikon pro users.

All the mirrorless players were (too) late with lenses that are suitable for serious nature/wildlife photography (at least 400mm equiv., high optics quality, reasonably bright etc.). Direct production cost of these lenses is just a fraction of the sales price, most of the cost is development and marketing. If Sony wants to recoup their development cost for such a lens by selling to big pocketed users only (with their usually very high prices for the best glass), they will probably sell insufficient numbers and the price would be sky-high. Being aggressive with pricing might be a way to attract new users, as for nature/wildlife the lenses are the most expensive part. So it sounds like a realistic rumor to me, especially if they are also planning a faster or otherwise more high-end version.

The only potential competition is the rumored Sigma Sports supertele glass (300 / 400mm, nothing firm yet AFAIK) and for some users probably lenses like the Canon 100-400II.

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:03 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

A reasonable cost Sony 400/4 could be a good boost to A9 sales as well. They've been in stock everywhere for a while so it's sales are obviously not outstripping stock. Would love to see some price pressure on Canon for the bigger whites. I have a 300 IS II but only because I got a great deal on the refurb site. Otherwise I would not have been able to pull it off.

Jul 07, 2017 at 08:35 AM
technic
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · No blinds, no kayaks, only a cheap camera in old man's hands

ggreene wrote:
A reasonable cost Sony 400/4 could be a good boost to A9 sales as well. They've been in stock everywhere for a while so it's sales are obviously not outstripping stock. Would love to see some price pressure on Canon for the bigger whites. I have a 300 IS II but only because I got a great deal on the refurb site. Otherwise I would not have been able to pull it off.

I don't think just one lens will do it (similar situation as Olympus OMD with its excellent but 'niche' 4/300), but if they have a few up their sleeve people will start thinking. I considered Sony 7R2 early last year but decided against it because of the lens situation (very few suitable lenses for my taste, the good ones are really expensive and too many adapter woes to consider that as a solution for long tele glass). A good quality and reasonably priced tele prime would get me thinking again, although I guess a 'normal' 4/400mm will be too heavy for my taste.

Jul 07, 2017 at 10:17 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.