Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gi...

sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

last week I decided to purchase the Jobu Heavy Duty MK IV Gimbal assy. direct purchased it from Jobu saving a few duckets having them send it south to me from Canada to the US.

1- it came very quick even with the upcoming holidays. thank you for that.
2- total weight: 2lb2oz (it is very light for what it is)
3- relatively compact
4- easy adjustment for balance
5- quality materials
6- rigid

knobs-
- including the base attachment 5 there are of them.
- the base attachment is alloy hand screw with a drilled hole in the side for a rod or allen key to be used to tighten/loosen as needed. it went on smoothly on my RRS TVC24 w/leveling base. didn't seem to need the extra effort. may need it getting off later. vertical axis rotation smooth.
- base rotation lock knob is rubberized with excellent grip and locking. it is not captive though there is a bit of thread to go through before it can depart.
- horizontal pivot knob is the same type rubberized knob this sets lock and drag. it is captive to the mechanism "cartridge". once lens is mounted horizontal axis operation is smooth in operation.
- platform plate height adjustment via captive polymer curved "wing" nut. not my favorite material in this situation. will possibly look into other options for this location.
- clamp assy locking screw on platform machined alloy. average. you all know my preferences but this works just fine

other included items:
- camo lined bag for travel/storage
- "universal" Surefoot SF-NXK kit lens plate. baseline plate with polymer friction pad.
- Allen wrenches
- 1/4-3/8 thread adapter

accessories available that can help:
the "hockey puck" counterweight for lighter camera bodies with big lenses. for when you run out of rail.

minor items- the milled/bored out slot for the "bearing cartridge" could be done a little better considering the accuracy of CNC machine tooling today. "bearing cartridge" designed to be NOT user accessible hence NOT user replaceable.

equipment used on the gimbal for reference: Sigma 120-300/2.8 S w/ and w/o 1.4xTC and a D500 body no grip adapter plate by RRS.

in comparison to tools I've used:
Wimberley Sidekick- the definitely a step or two above in use and worth the price and weight.
RRS PG-02 FG: Full Gimbal Head- the DMG is good at its build/price/weight no doubt about it. the RRS is ~2x the price and over 2x the weight, but in reality not on the same plane of existence.

NIKON D7200    16.0-80.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    31mm    f/6.3    3s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jul 15, 2017 at 03:47 PM · View previous versions

Jul 04, 2017 at 11:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

Welcome to the club. Are you using the TH-DVTL-40 for the base?

EBH

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:58 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

Jobu let me upgrade from my HD-3 to the HD-4 for $100 so I went for it and enjoy the weight savings of the HD-4 over the HD-3. I've had no complaints with this gimbal but they are the only ones I've ever owned so not sure how the Wimberly compares.

Jul 05, 2017 at 02:27 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

EB-1 wrote:
Welcome to the club. Are you using the TH-DVTL-40 for the base?

EBH

no just screw it down. I like RRS tools but I'm not into over accessorizing. for the times I want to use it I see no distinct advantage.

I had the base for it on the leveling head when I purchased the TVC24 used. it came with about everything. I sold it off and that took a bit of time to do.

Jul 05, 2017 at 03:16 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

Did anyone of you guys saw this gimbal head: http://amzn.to/2szAPaM
Several weeks ago, I met a FM member that was using this gimbal and was very happy with it. Gimbal was very light and seemed sturdy when I mounted my 1DXII and 600mm + 2x on it. And at the $199 price I'm tempted to buy it, even though I don't need it

Jul 08, 2017 at 12:44 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

I really prefer to know who is actually making the product i'm buying. it gives me the comfort of always having reasonably good support. I tend to have higher expectations then some for quality and longevity.

Jul 08, 2017 at 01:30 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

sjms wrote:
I really prefer to know who is actually making the product i'm buying. it gives me the comfort of always having reasonably good support. I tend to have higher expectations then some for quality and longevity.

+1 One may easily have $10K of gear on a gimbal, so that is not the time for being cheap on support.

EBH

Jul 08, 2017 at 02:57 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

Thanks, @sjms, for your report. I'm in urgent need of tele support, having received a Nikkor 800mm AI-S yesterday and the ol' ball head doesn't serve. After perusing your words and studying the B&H reviews, my gimbal finalists are the low-end Manfrotto, Jobu Jr, and the WH-200. Will pull the trigger today. Total rig weight is 10 lbs, length is 0.5m.

Q: Is adjustable platform plate height important for achieving an ideal balance? This feature is not available on all gimbals.

Jul 08, 2017 at 02:28 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

You won't get perfect balance without the adjustable plate height.
If you balance forward/backwards on the plate and then up and down along the vertical arm, you can put your lens in any orientation and it will stay there.
I have a cheap spare gimbal and it's bit stiff. Being off balance vertically doesn't matter that much, but then again it runs a bit stiff unlike a traditional wimberly.

Jul 08, 2017 at 03:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

rico wrote:
Thanks, @sjms@, for your report. I'm in urgent need of tele support, having received a Nikkor 800mm AI-S yesterday and the ol' ball head doesn't serve. After perusing your words and studying the B&H reviews, my gimbal finalists are the low-end Manfrotto, Jobu Jr, and the WH-200. Will pull the trigger today. Total rig weight is 10 lbs, length is 0.5m.

Q: Is adjustable platform plate height important for achieving an ideal balance? This feature is not available on all gimbals.

absolutely

Jul 08, 2017 at 03:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mpoole
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

rico wrote:
Thanks, @sjms@, for your report. I'm in urgent need of tele support, having received a Nikkor 800mm AI-S yesterday and the ol' ball head doesn't serve. After perusing your words and studying the B&H reviews, my gimbal finalists are the low-end Manfrotto, Jobu Jr, and the WH-200. Will pull the trigger today. Total rig weight is 10 lbs, length is 0.5m.

I have the Jobu Jr and use it with my Canon 500f4. To get it to balance properly I had to add a lower profile foot. The good folks at Jobu would be happy to advise if you need to do the same.

Jul 08, 2017 at 03:41 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

rico wrote:

I have both the HD4 and the Jr. 3. The Jr. 3 has a 3-position adjustment that requires moving two screws. I would not use any of the Jr. gimbals for an 800 on a routine basis. Get the HD4 or the WH-200 for the big teles. I use the Jr. 3 for the 80-400 or 300/2.8 class of lens when lower weight is important.

EBH

Jul 08, 2017 at 03:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

mpoole wrote:
I have the Jobu Jr and use it with my Canon 500f4. To get it to balance properly I had to add a lower profile foot. The good folks at Jobu would be happy to advise if you need to do the same.

There is a good balance with a 4th Gen foot on a Jr.3. I've set up two tripods with each of a Jr. and HD4 and gone back and forth. At one point I though about using a Jr. for everything, but it just isn't as smooth as the full-sized gimbal with the 500/4 IS.

EBH

Jul 08, 2017 at 03:53 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

Thanks, guys, for this invaluable thread. Given the Jr 3 inbuilt adjustability, I'm keeping it on the list: the 800mm is an f/8 model of "just" 3.3kg. The WH-200 appears to lack adjustment, although I could add spacers. The best option for critical balance appears to be the WH-200-S Sidemount:

This gives me Wimberley build quality, tilt balance with a plate, and good (or perfect) pan balance. It's also cheaper. I dimly recall that Jobu had a model with this design. Decisions, decisions...

Jul 08, 2017 at 04:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

this is the primary Wimberley 200 v2

Jul 08, 2017 at 04:19 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

Are those AS rails on the platform arm? Hmm, I guess it does have adjustability.

Jul 08, 2017 at 04:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

yes it is an AS type clamp and it sure does have considerably more adjustability

the difference in the end is weight. and the minor items I brought up. 1lb difference and 1 plastic knob. the Jobu MK4 is just a wee bit lighter.

Jul 08, 2017 at 04:27 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

sjms wrote:
the difference in the end is weight. and the minor items I brought up. 1lb difference and 1 plastic knob. the Jobu MK4 is just a wee bit lighter.

Okay, I'm up to speed gimbal-wise, and your report makes sense. On downloading the Wimberley instructions from their web site, I see that WH-200 balance is well addressed. Jobu Mk 4 and WH-200 are my finalists. Sorry, Benro and Oben!

Jul 08, 2017 at 04:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

and last but not least:
prices:
B&H
Jobu Mk4- $574
Wimberley- $594

Jobu MK4 Direct to US in 3 days Toronto (Jobu) to Central NJ- $482 (price will vary due to daily exchange rate. use a card that doesn't charge you for foreign transaction)

Edited on Jul 08, 2017 at 05:07 PM · View previous versions

Jul 08, 2017 at 04:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A once over of the Jobu DMG-HD4 (aka: Heavy Duty Mk IV Gimbal)

rico wrote:
Are those AS rails on the platform arm? Hmm, I guess it does have adjustability.

You can also attach any of the Wimberley Modular system accessories to the AS rails of the Jobu which is great for keeping the flash on the gimbal when changing lenses+bodies.

EBH

Jul 08, 2017 at 04:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password