Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for m...

FrancisK7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

I just pulled the trigger on a Godox AD600 and realized I wouldn't be able to modify my westcott 26" rapidbox octa. I have the beauty dish adapter and grid for it and it's been my favorite modifier by far for portraits.

I know Westcott makes a rapid box XL and XXL but they don't make grids for them. Anyone here has tried the FotodioX EZ-Pro line? They seem to have grids and beauty dish attachments AND they're cheap.

I bought the extention cord kit for the AD600 so my assistant can transfer the weight off the boom arm so i guess it only needs to be bowen compatible.

Jul 04, 2017 at 03:03 PM
gnjphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

They have the white interior 24" Beaty Dish that has a grid. Bowens mount is around $300.

Jul 04, 2017 at 03:24 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

300$ for the modifier and 150$ for the grid, 450$ overall. Almost as expensive as the AD600. *shrug*

Thanks for sharing though, at least there's an option.

Impact has a cheap foldable BD but no grid for it. Why are grids so rare Who likes spill?

Jul 04, 2017 at 03:29 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

I've got the Fotodiox one and like it quite a bit. I haven't used the BD attachment (have a separate BD for the AD600). Not sure what to compare it to though since I haven't used any higher end modifier but it seems to do the trick for me... But then again I've only used it in studio setting and not outdoors or really on location at all.

Jul 04, 2017 at 07:20 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

Shit if it's good enough for the Duy it's good enough for me man.

Ordered direct from Fotodiox, $85 for the 32" quick-collapsiple beauty dish and $60 for the grid. $144.90 total, instead of $450 for the Westcott Joel Grimes equivalent.

Will report back.

Jul 04, 2017 at 09:27 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

SMDV Speedbox S70, and the 28" Parapop grid from Adorama. Not cheap, but really well made. Should be able to get the whole setup <$300.

Those folding BD setups always looked pretty fragile to me. Let us know how you like the fotodiox thing.

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:23 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

BSPhotog wrote:
SMDV Speedbox S70, and the 28" Parapop grid from Adorama. Not cheap, but really well made. Should be able to get the whole setup <$300.

Those folding BD setups always looked pretty fragile to me. Let us know how you like the fotodiox thing.

You made me cancel the order and get the S70 instead, it was cheaper.

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:34 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

Impact also has a white interior foldable softbox with grid. Could be an option as well.
FrancisK7 wrote:
300$ for the modifier and 150$ for the grid, 450$ overall. Almost as expensive as the AD600. *shrug*

Thanks for sharing though, at least there's an option.

Impact has a cheap foldable BD but no grid for it. Why are grids so rare Who likes spill?

Jul 05, 2017 at 04:51 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

Oh yeah--it wasn't the collapsible BD that i bought, it was a 36" octa with grid and inner baffle. Really soft light.

Jul 05, 2017 at 05:01 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

The S70 ended up costing me $195 and the grid $40 from Adorama, so $235 for a 28" octa with dual baffles and grid. So it ended up a bit more expensive than my first Fotodiox order after all, the Canadian reseller had quoted me the wrong price. It's still 50% off compared to the Westcott equivalent.

I still went ahead with the order because the S70 will be used outside almost exclusively and it seems very quick to setup, which I like.

I don't think Impact makes a foldable octa with a grid and bowen mount.

Jul 05, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

FrancisK7 wrote:
The S70 ended up costing me $195 and the grid $40 from Adorama, so $235 for a 28" octa with dual baffles and grid. So it ended up a bit more expensive than my first Fotodiox order after all, the Canadian reseller had quoted me the wrong price. It's still 50% off compared to the Westcott equivalent.

I still went ahead with the order because the S70 will be used outside almost exclusively and it seems very quick to setup, which I like.

I don't think Impact makes a foldable octa with a grid and bowen mount.

You won't be disappointed. I don't have the grid, but LMK how you like it! I use an S60 as well forbidden speed lights. Hex shape isn't ideal, but the size, efficiency, speed of setup, and quality of light make it worthwhile.

Jul 05, 2017 at 12:49 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

Elinchrome Rotalux is smoooooooth.

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:50 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

Can anyone comment on the Cheetahstand 33" QWBD Octa vs the SMDV S70?

I have the Cheetastand but don't use it very often. The size makes it too big to lug around on location and a standard speedlight doesn't have the power to fill it Wondering if I should sell it and buy the S70

Jul 05, 2017 at 04:55 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

ZachOly wrote:
The size makes it too big to lug around on location and a standard speedlight doesn't have the power to fill it. Wondering if I should sell it and buy the S70

Can't speak to the S70 but I generally put the Godox 360 in mine and that helps significantly.

Jul 05, 2017 at 06:27 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

I'll update you guys on the S70's performance. Got two e-sessions and a wedding this week-end so will get plenty of testing opportunities.

The 26" Rapid box for speedlites ouputs amazing light. In lieu of an internal baffle it has an actual metal disc, paired with the outer baffle and grid it produces superb light.

It looks like the S70's baffles can stay in place when closing it, making the setup and disassembly much quicker (the rapid box is anything but rapid imho).

Jul 05, 2017 at 08:59 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

FrancisK7 wrote:
I'll update you guys on the S70's performance. Got two e-sessions and a wedding this week-end so will get plenty of testing opportunities.

The 26" Rapid box for speedlites ouputs amazing light. In lieu of an internal baffle it has an actual metal disc, paired with the outer baffle and grid it produces superb light.

It looks like the S70's baffles can stay in place when closing it, making the setup and disassembly much quicker (the rapid box is anything but rapid imho).

I have 2 SMDV products. - S70 and S110. Despite its cost, it's one of the best investment modifier I've ever made. That and the entire Godox lighting system.

Jul 06, 2017 at 03:26 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

Cheetah stand umbrella softbox - 46".... $39
Westcott Apollo orb with grid.

-Mark

Edited on Jul 06, 2017 at 05:52 PM · View previous versions

Jul 06, 2017 at 03:57 PM
joel022484
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

I use a Paul C. Buff octobox (~ $200 for 35" box & grid / ~ $225 for 47") and then a speedring adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Flange-Speedring-Softbox-Monolight/dp/B00M6B194M/ref=cm_rdp_product) for $15.
It's a quick setup and (at least to me) is high quality.

Jul 06, 2017 at 05:06 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

I have a couple PCB octas for my studio Ensteins. Good quality and affordable. They dont setup quickly though.

The nice thing about the S70 is that everything stays velcro'ed to it so closing and opening is a matter of seconds.

Pretty compact setup to travel with.

Got a session tonight so will post photos later.

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:38 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Your favorite modifier for B+G portraits? Need octa for my AD600

That's pretty sweet... I might have to pick one up. They make anything bigger than a 28"?

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password