New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Photography Travel Daypacks

ScottS1957
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photography Travel Daypacks

For eight days I've been home from a 23 day trip to India. A good friend and I guide college students on Himalayan Study Tours for a college in Maryland. The trip includes city, village, and remote temple treks high in the Himalayan Mountains of the state of Uttarakhand. I've been to india six times now, and am gradually improving my photography bag.

But it's the bag itself in question...

F-Stop Guru was my choice for the India Study Tour 2017. And it carried ALL of my photography equipment, along with rain shell, rain pants, fleece, and trail lunch during the treks.

The Guru is a great bag for the city, as my Canon 6D, Canon 40D, Canon Lenses: 70-200mm, 24-105mm, 16-35mm, 50mm, 85mm ALL fit, and were one zip away, ready to go.

It's those intense treks, similar to the Rocky Mountains, except that we have guides, porters, and mules for the big equipment in our North Face Duffels. I own a Deuter Backpack when I hit the rockies, and I know how that harness system breathes and works on my hips, shoulders, and back. It is a joy.

What struck me on this journey was how much like a school daypack most daypacks are. The load INSIDE was a delight, because I knew I could access it beautifully. No faulting the F-Stop on that front. But the straps, the waist straps, while more than a school daypack for sure, were not at the level of a Deuter, Gregory, Osprey, etc.

So my question is for any of you who hit the trail with your photography equipment: What do you use and why? Have you found any "crossovers" where you can easily access your F-Stop modules while having an excellent breathable, supportive internal frame on your back? Or is this the elusive, non-resolvable issue of "one or the other?"

Thanks!

ScottS

Jul 04, 2017 at 05:24 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photography Travel Daypacks

Look at the ski packs from the major pack companies, many of these have full access rear opening to allow use of an ICU. They have much better support on your back than the photography dedicated packs.

I personally use Osprey packs and use lens wraps to store my gear in the pack. Perfect for travel and the support of the pack makes carrying all day quite easy.

Jul 04, 2017 at 11:03 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photography Travel Daypacks

Oh no, it is impossible! There are HUNDREDS of different camera bags out there. My local camera shop has at least two hundred in the store. Nobody can tell you which one is best for you. Everyone's travel style is different, as well as their gear, and shooting style, not to mention aesthetics. Like many longtime shooters, I've been through dozens of them over decades and finally settled into what I now use. It's a process you just have to go thru. Fortunately there's a nice buy & sell for here to ease the pain of the purchase.

Jul 04, 2017 at 11:21 AM
ScottS1957
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photography Travel Daypacks

Chez, Thanks!
Can you tell me which Osprey you use for photography?

Jeffrey, Thanks!
Of course you're right. But my question is simply what are YOU using. I know that I'll have to choose for myself. The thing is, it varies not only from person-to-person, but like I shared in my post: from portions of the trip. In the cities, F-Stop Guru FANTASTIC! On the Gangotri Glacier, not-so-much. But simply hearing YOUR story is very, VERY helpful to me.

Thanks!

Jul 04, 2017 at 11:25 AM
ScottS1957
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photography Travel Daypacks

Chez,

Something like this?

https://www.rei.com/product/895646/osprey-manta-ag-28-hydration-pack-25-liters

Jul 04, 2017 at 11:28 AM
ScottS1957
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photography Travel Daypacks

And...I realize the very BEST thing is going to be to go to REI or someplace WITH the F-Stop module, and try sliding it in one of the packs

Jul 04, 2017 at 11:32 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photography Travel Daypacks

ScottS1957 wrote:
So my question is for any of you who hit the trail with your photography equipment: What do you use and why? Have you found any "crossovers" where you can easily access your F-Stop modules while having an excellent breathable, supportive internal frame on your back? Or is this the elusive, non-resolvable issue of "one or the other?"

ScottS

Personal preference, of course, but I've come around to using the Osprey Stratos pack with lens & camera wraps. A lightweight Feisol 3441T is collapsed and strapped to the outside. If taking a lot of shots, neoprene wrapped camera goes on a neck strap pushed to my side. I use the 3 liter Osprey water bladder for hydration. Keep in mind I don't like to carry a lot of camera gear when doing either long or high altitude hikes. Usually it's D800E, Nikon 24mm PC-E, Sigma 50mm, Nikon 105mm Micro OR Nikon 80-400mm AFS. I tend to go to dedicated first class hiking packs instead of camera packs.

Kent in SD

Jul 04, 2017 at 05:40 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photography Travel Daypacks

I've been re-thinking my bag "game" and am contemplating getting the Stratos 24L for general purpose city walking and hiking. I would also purchase a small f-stop ICU to put in there. My reluctance is because I also have the Deuter 20L bag, so wondering if the 4L increase in capacity is THAT significant.

I have dedicated hiking bags for backpacking already (e.g. Osprey 65L) and a travel packpack (e.g. Osprey Farpoint 40L). So really looking to see what my options are as far as the smaller daypacks.

Jul 04, 2017 at 06:08 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photography Travel Daypacks

I just returned from a trip using an Osprey Stratos 36 for my gear and supplies. I alternated a bit between using a billingham Hadley insert in a portrait orientation with the opening facing the side opening of the pack, or lenses and stuff in bags inside with clothing giving a little more cushion as needed. I will refine how I did this next time likely leaning towards individual lens bags.

The pack held a good size Fuji kit, rain pants and jacket, extra down vest, sweatshirt, 3l bladder other misc food and accessories with room remaining. I was very pleased with the suspension system and my shoulders sure appreciated it. I'm also going to try to suspend a body using the attach points on the front of the straps. That will keep it accessible. This time I switched back and forth between binoculars and my camera using Dispatch straps

https://www.rei.com/product/111299/osprey-stratos-36-pack?cm_mmc=email_tran-_-ereceipt-_-20170625-_-img_prod1&ev36=&RMID=EReceipt_PROD&RRID=140577935&ev11=

Jul 04, 2017 at 09:28 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photography Travel Daypacks

From my experience I can give you two options :

1. This is a proper, light, backpack but the superb, huge, exterior pockets means you can easily carry your camera with lens attached (I had the D800+Tamron 15-30), or extra lenses in neoprene. I love these packs (i have both 45L and 60L) the 45L doesn't feel large at all but has excellent carrying capacity. I settled on Boreas after having tried Osprey and Gregory. My review is below.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1366149

2. Mindshift Rotation 38L. I used this in April for 2 weeks trekking in the high Himalayas (up to 5,500m) in Nepal. Awesome. Excellent access without removing, or slinging, the pack around. They also have 34l and 22L versions

https://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-professional

Jul 04, 2017 at 11:47 PM
ScottS1957
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photography Travel Daypacks

Two23 - Thanks for your feedback! I am thinking similar to you in that I really want an excellent hiking experience with a quality pack to go along with my photography passion. I've heard great things about Osprey! My days of a suspension system that feels like a school daypack stuffed with books might be over

Jul 05, 2017 at 05:31 AM
ScottS1957
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photography Travel Daypacks

Ming-Tzu, Me, too! The F-Stop Guru is a delight "around the city or village." It was all right there and compact. It was on the ascents and glacial crossings where I missed the suspension systems of my Gregory and Deuter. It made me rethink how I want to move through India with my camera equipment.

Question: Do the Deuter and Osprey you mention have panel access to make getting to your photography equipment easy?

Also, have you looked at the Deuter ACT 30? I'm considering this:
https://www.rei.com/product/880687/deuter-act-trail-30-pack-mens

Thanks for your feedback !

Jul 05, 2017 at 05:36 AM
ScottS1957
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photography Travel Daypacks

Michael H,

Thanks for your feedback and share on the Osprey 36! Looks like a great pack!

Question for you: is this airline carry-on compatible? I realize that many of us drive to our hiking/photography locations, and so this is a non-issue. For me, a lot of my photography occurs in the Himalayas. So I'm trying to get something within "carry-on guidlelines" so that I don't have the issue of gear protection in the belly of the airplane.

Thanks for your insights !

Jul 05, 2017 at 05:40 AM
ScottS1957
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photography Travel Daypacks

Frogfish,

Thanks for your thorough assistance! Your review on this forum (other thread) is comprehensive and very helpful!

And your Mindshift Rotation link looks fabulous! I keep hearing great things about Mindshift. It looks like a great (albeit expensive) piece of gear!

I have some questions for you regarding the Mindshift:
Is the suspension system on par with Gregory, Osprey, Deuter in terms of comfort, support, ventilation?
Is the Mindshift Airline Carry-On Compatible? For me as a flyer to the Himalayas, too, I need to know that I can keep my gear WITH me, and not have to pack extra for the belly of the airliner.

Thanks for your additional feedback!

Jul 05, 2017 at 05:42 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photography Travel Daypacks

ScottS1957 wrote:
Michael H,

Thanks for your feedback and share on the Osprey 36! Looks like a great pack!

Question for you: is this airline carry-on compatible? I realize that many of us drive to our hiking/photography locations, and so this is a non-issue. For me, a lot of my photography occurs in the Himalayas. So I'm trying to get something within "carry-on guidlelines" so that I don't have the issue of gear protection in the belly of the airplane.

Thanks for your insights !

The bag seems to be pretty close to 22" for the rigid part of the frame. It can get a bit taller with the flexible areas in the top and bottom part.

That said, I just used it on 4 flights. I never had an issue at all. I was able to easily fit in overhead bins of the various 737 configurations. There were much larger bags allowed onboard. It has a fairly small appearance. It -might- fit into the overheads in a smaller emb 90, but not sure.

I've been in some real small aircraft in SE Asia and it would not fit on those, under the seat or other wise

I'm pretty sure there is a smaller version of the bag. I didn't look at it but if it has the same side access I'd think it could work well

Jul 05, 2017 at 12:21 PM
ScottS1957
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photography Travel Daypacks

Thanks, Michael!!

Jul 05, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photography Travel Daypacks

ScottS1957 wrote:
Ming-Tzu, Me, too! The F-Stop Guru is a delight "around the city or village." It was all right there and compact. It was on the ascents and glacial crossings where I missed the suspension systems of my Gregory and Deuter. It made me rethink how I want to move through India with my camera equipment.

Question: Do the Deuter and Osprey you mention have panel access to make getting to your photography equipment easy?

Also, have you looked at the Deuter ACT 30? I'm considering this:
https://www.rei.com/product/880687/deuter-act-trail-30-pack-mens

Thanks for your feedback !

The two bags I have (e.g. Deuter 20 and Osprey Farpoint) does not have panel access. The Deuter opens like a traditional backpack, which means the zipper opens the top and about halfway down the sides. The Osprey opens like a piece of luggage, which means only on the front. Maybe that's the trade-off with getting traditional backpacks versus camera backpacks.

Also, if you decide to go the route of the camera backpack, I have some for sale, namely the MindShift Rotation Professional and MindShift Firstlight 40L. The former seems to be pretty popular, while the latter is pretty good from what I hear. I've never used either.

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:26 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photography Travel Daypacks

Michael H wrote:
I just returned from a trip using an Osprey Stratos 36 for my gear and supplies. I alternated a bit between using a billingham Hadley insert in a portrait orientation with the opening facing the side opening of the pack, or lenses and stuff in bags inside with clothing giving a little more cushion as needed. I will refine how I did this next time likely leaning towards individual lens bags.

The pack held a good size Fuji kit, rain pants and jacket, extra down vest, sweatshirt, 3l bladder other misc food and accessories with room remaining. I was
...Show more

Thanks for the review. I'm looking at the 24L version of this bag, to be used mainly as a daypack. My Deuter Speedlite 20 is pretty good but it lacks an adequate suspension system for when I carry a bunch of things. I already have the Osprey Farpoint 40L, which is more like a hybrid travel/backpacking pack, so I'm covered in that capacity range. Debating whether to supplement my Deuter 20L with the Stratos 24L, or just stick with my Deuter.

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:28 PM
ScottS1957
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Photography Travel Daypacks

Thanks, Ming-Tzu!

I am going to check out the Deuter ACT 30, because it opens up all the way from the bottom, so my ICU module could conceivably fit there. And it's airline carry on friendly.

Why did you never use the MindShift packs?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Jul 05, 2017 at 02:10 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Photography Travel Daypacks

ScottS1957 wrote:
Thanks, Ming-Tzu!

I am going to check out the Deuter ACT 30, because it opens up all the way from the bottom, so my ICU module could conceivably fit there. And it's airline carry on friendly.

Why did you never use the MindShift packs?

Just curious.

Thanks!

I bought the packs, erroneously, to fit certain situations. The 180 Professional for when I want to go hiking with a big setup. The Firstlight for when I want to carry the big white lens (500L II). Neither situation happened.

I was close to using the Professional but found that I'm not too fond of the rotation part of the bag, which is essentially a fanny pack that fits in a space at the bottom of the bag, but is easily accessible without ever needing to take the pack off. I've also realized that I just like the suspension system and versatility of having backpacking bags, versus camera backpacks. I like having one big space inside the backpacking bag, and having to figure out how to organize versus having one dedicated space for camera gear and a smaller section for other stuff. In essence, I like carrying stuff other than camera gear lol

That's the long answer. The short answer is I like my Osprey and Deuter bags lol

Jul 05, 2017 at 02:24 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.