New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Southern California Landscape Location Advice

IShootThings

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Southern California Landscape Location Advice

Hello,

I'll be in Southern California for work in a couple of weeks. To be more precise, I'll be in Downey, near Compton and south of LA. Are there any decent spots in the area that I could reach quickly for a sunset or two? Any recommendation for a scenic stop as I had back up I5 toward Sacramento on my way home?

I'm not familiar with Southern Cali so any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Jul 04, 2017 at 03:18 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Southern California Landscape Location Advice

I would suggest going to the beach. Which one is up to you. If you want landscapes, then down to Huntington Beach or Newport Beach. You also could go north more to Malibu. Sadly, all the beaches in between those will come across less as landscape but more like cityscape.

Otherwise, its a massive city, there are no real landscapes without heading to the beaches, mountains or desert.

As for your drive back The hills are pretty brown now, you could stop and maybe take a shot or two of some orchards along the I-5, but for the most part, the landscapes along that part of the drive are not the most photogenic.

Jim

Jul 04, 2017 at 07:21 AM
jdc562
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Southern California Landscape Location Advice

There are some scenic cityscapes to take from a Mulholland Drive turnout and Hahn(?) Park. You would have to research these locations online. The Mulholland location, in particular, is mainly scenic at night with time exposures to streak the vehicle lights on the 405 fwy. If you're lucky enough to get marine haze or smoky haze in the hills, you may find nice late-day, backlit views in the hills when you are facing west in the Ojai area. Regarding your drive back, what Jim dismisses as brown can be golden grasses that combine nicely with the dark oaks in the photogenic rolling hills around San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, and vicinity. Those places also have extensive vineyards and fake Tuscan wineries....

Late this week (of the 4th of July) there are forecasts of possible thunderstorms from tropical moisture over the local mountains, which could produce nice photo opportunities, especially if the storms form in Joshua Tree and other desert areas. Beware that temperatures in the deserts are all peaking in the triple digits and are even more uncomfortable with the tropical humidity. Take lots of cold water if you go there and protect your camera equipment.

For your trip back, also be aware that the fast melting Sierra snowpack is feeding streams, rivers, and waterfalls right now. This provides some special photo dramas, but also dangers if you don't watch your step and where you drive.

Jul 04, 2017 at 07:08 PM
IShootThings

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Southern California Landscape Location Advice

Thank you both for your responses. I asked the I5 drive back question because I'm all too familiar with California's brown, hot summers but I'm not at all familiar with SoCal. I'll probalby head out to at least one of those beaches one night so I appreciate the tip. I'm also going to check out that cityscape spot as I wasn't thinking about cityscapes last night but I'm all for those as well. I'm skipping the deserts this time around, DV is in my future but that's a winter trip. All recommendations are appreciated!

Jul 05, 2017 at 12:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Southern California Landscape Location Advice

IShootThings wrote:
Hello,

I'll be in Southern California for work in a couple of weeks. To be more precise, I'll be in Downey, near Compton and south of LA. Are there any decent spots in the area that I could reach quickly for a sunset or two? Any recommendation for a scenic stop as I had back up I5 toward Sacramento on my way home?

I'm not familiar with Southern Cali so any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, that's in kind of a flat central area, so as noted already, the beaches to the west might be the easier location for a sunset. Palos Verdes Peninsula is to the southwest some. There are spots good for the ocean side and some overlooking the L.A. basin, too. Check San Pedro Korean Bell and the road near it has overlooks just up the hill a ways. The Hahn Recreation Area in the Baldwin Hills has good views back to downtown with a good angle on the higher mountains in the distance. The Santa Monica Mountains/Hollywood Hills especially Mulholland Highway has some good spots for views over the basin and San Fernando Valley. The Griffith Park Observatory has great panoramic views of much of the Los Angeles area but it's very popular and getting there and parking is such that you'd want to research it and plan in advance. A Google search will get you more info.

It's not on the direct route but the coast route up through Santa Barbara and the central coast hills, etc., may have dried brown grass but the oaks and all can still be pretty, also some of the vineyard areas. Not sure I can think of anything too interesting going up I5, either.

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:26 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Southern California Landscape Location Advice

I would head home via Hwy 101 and then cut over to I-5 on Hwy 198 at San Lucas. A great deal more scenic and a whole lot less stressful.

Traffic is heavy in LA area pretty much around the clock 7 days a week. If you have a buddy and can use the car pool lane it may help.

Jul 08, 2017 at 06:29 PM
TheRoosta

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Southern California Landscape Location Advice

San Luis Obispo. Check it out here. It has sand, sea, mountains, vineyards, coastal roads. Beautiful region for photography.

Jul 11, 2017 at 05:14 PM
C.Lenoir

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Southern California Landscape Location Advice

Long Beach has plenty of photo opportunities and is very close to your location.

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:53 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password