New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Ripples

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ripples

Hurricane Matthew destroyed all of my planned landscapes and I struggled to find something other than birds and gators to shoot.

I tried to use what I could find to the best of my abilities.

Thoughts?

Dave

Jul 03, 2017 at 06:29 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ripples

I dig the pull you're getting from your strong and contrasty lines, but I might look to take some off the right and bottom of this one. Might also pull back some on the contrast and saturation. Oranges are pulling very heavy, which isn't necessarily bad, but I feel a slightly softer look will pay in dividends here.

Jeff

Jul 03, 2017 at 10:45 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ripples

Good job at finding a good scene when the ones you expected were gone. Lovely sky and good use of foreground. I agree with the crop suggestion, but the sat is fine for me, but of course that is predictable.

Jul 04, 2017 at 12:12 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ripples

Thanks Jeff and Ben. I'll take a fresh look at the sat when I get on a better monitor but I thought I kept it close to real. I suppose this is when having a sooc jpeg would come in handy for reference.

What is it about the bottom and right side that you guys are not liking?
I ask because the up close and in your face ripples is all I had to work with here to add to the little bit of sky mother nature gave me.

Fun side note about this shot.
I had gone out looking for something of slight interest to set-up on and found this spot about an hour early and set-up my rig a few inches off the sand/ripples. So my gear and I were kinda hard to miss if you know what I mean.
Just as the light show began, a few dozen people flocked out on the beach. Some walked past between myself and the water's edge but they all kinda hungout about 100 yards away. But then some jackwagon with his little camera and shoulder bag walked right up and into my frame about 40 yards away and proceeded to stand there while he handheld a few pano shots and then a few more of his girlfriend/wife. All the while my shutter is open.

I fully expected the need for some clone work of a few people out enjoying a walk on the beach at sunset. Ok a few dozen people, yep.. ok, I can deal with that.
But I did not expect to have shots completely killed by "someone" walking into my shot and hogging up a good 1/4 of my frame.

I was really missing my planned, somewhat isolated, location at that point.

Dave

Jul 04, 2017 at 01:37 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ripples

Dave,

I dig the more pronounced "sweep" through the image that I get when it's squared off.

Just personal preference is all.

Jeff

Jul 04, 2017 at 01:56 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ripples

Ah! I see what you are thinking now. I'm not a fan of square crops but this does improve the "pull" into the frame and seems to work well on this image.

The only thing is the sunset is nearly centered though.
I need to play around with this and see if by chance I might have a usable frame with better sky now that I can make Mr. photo bomber go away.

Dave

Jul 04, 2017 at 02:08 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ripples

Here is what I am thinking as a 16x9 crop

Jul 05, 2017 at 08:38 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ripples

Thanks Ben. I take it that the dark wider bands in the RH corner is what you guys aren't liking in the OP image?

TBH, the more I look at this image the more I realize that I missed the mark on it. It doesn't have the draw or intimate vibe I was going for. I suspect my poor pp skills isn't helping me any either.

I worked on a completely different yet similar beach sunset shot last night that has a much better sky, but the overall subject matter is even more boring than this one.
I'm starting to feel myself slip into a "funk" where I don't like much of anything I have recently shot. If it gets much worse I might have to cancel my order on the 6DII.

Dave

Jul 05, 2017 at 02:22 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ripples

I actually like this and don't think you should give up. I wanted to start the furrows from the left corner is how I got this crop. Not a fan of square, not even a fan of 3x2 anymore. So I went more landscape

Jul 05, 2017 at 02:59 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ripples

Keeper
And so like Brn's best
More sky to work with those great ripples
And the sat is fine with me

Scott

Jul 05, 2017 at 06:27 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ripples

A few tweaks to try and bring some bright & shining to the star of the show ... and a little play.

Jul 05, 2017 at 06:51 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ripples

Nice work Kent making an excellent image even better!

Steve

PS On the B&W, that effect on the sky is really cool. Can you share how you did that?

Jul 06, 2017 at 08:06 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ripples

Thanks for the comments folks.

After seeing Kent's color edit I think I might try my hand at this one again.
You're on the right track there Kent! That's what was missing I think. Thanks!
I might try nudging it even further if I can without it falling apart. I actually bracketed 3 frames but chose to use just one of the single frames with this image.

Dave

Jul 06, 2017 at 03:36 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.