Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Need advice for hair light or background light for studio...

agelessphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need advice for hair light or background light for studio to go with Flashpoint Xplor 600.

So for my studio I was using two SB700's. One in frony to the left a little of the person, the 2nd was behind them to the right a little that I had on a small stand only like 3 ft off the ground pointed up at the clients hair/head. Kind of as a hair light or at least something in the real to create a little rim light and separation. Now that I replaced the flahses with the strobe, which I love, what can I get to put in the rear to give a little light on their hair / back of head to create a little separation? I'm guessing I would have to buy a $35 optical slave to go with a SB700 to get it to work with the strobe? Do you guys think that's the best / easiest option? Or can I get a reflector to but back there? any advice greatly appreciated.

Jul 03, 2017 at 08:49 PM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need advice for hair light or background light for studio to go with Flashpoint Xplor 600.

I don't have mine handy at the moment, but I'm pretty sure the SB-700 has an optical slave built in. Just set it to SU-4 mode and you should be laughing.

C

Jul 03, 2017 at 11:12 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need advice for hair light or background light for studio to go with Flashpoint Xplor 600.

Chris Court wrote:
I don't have mine handy at the moment, but I'm pretty sure the SB-700 has an optical slave built in. Just set it to SU-4 mode and you should be laughing.

C

That would be awesome, have to check that out.

Jul 04, 2017 at 12:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

agelessphotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need advice for hair light or background light for studio to go with Flashpoint Xplor 600.

Chris Court wrote:

C

It worked, thank you so much!

Jul 04, 2017 at 12:29 AM
echelonphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need advice for hair light or background light for studio to go with Flashpoint Xplor 600.

Having a rimlight so low is not very attractive...ideally hairlight should be high and behind the person....best is a soft light. I use a strip softbox that I can feather effectively

Jul 17, 2017 at 02:09 PM
PhotoTeacher
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need advice for hair light or background light for studio to go with Flashpoint Xplor 600.

echelonphoto wrote:
Having a rimlight so low is not very attractive...ideally hairlight should be high and behind the person....best is a soft light. I use a strip softbox that I can feather effectively

Agreed. ^^

A low light will give you a rim light around the subject's head, which can look nice, but a hair light, as echelonphoto demonstrated, is mounted up high (usually on a boom) and gives the top of the head a nice highlight. Experiment a bit with the power of the hair light to get just the effect you want. (depends on the darkness of the hair being lit!)

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:08 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password