New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Cards or camera?

grog13
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cards or camera?

Recently noticed some odd things when importing photos (shooting Sony A6000, importing into LR5). Sometimes the previews in the import dialog screen are not in the order shot. To make it stranger, when I proceed with the import, sometimes the images are in the same order as in the import dialog, and sometimes in the correct order. When I first noticed this, I marked the card and set it aside, but it continued happening with another card. So far as I can tell, I haven't lost any shots, they're just scrambled (which is easy to fix, if it matters). But I wonder what's up - is this a camera problem? I've read various opinions about deleting vs formatting, etc - I normally format the card in the camera (without deleting) after importing & backing up. I normally don't delete as I shoot, but sometimes do chimp to check exposure or focus. Any ideas what's happening?

Jul 03, 2017 at 01:47 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cards or camera?

hmm... never noticed that... but will pay attention to see if I'm experiencing the same issue.

Jul 03, 2017 at 02:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cards or camera?

Those are typically issues with the timestamp precision or sort order. It should not be card problem - either camera or computer.

EBH

Jul 03, 2017 at 05:50 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cards or camera?

So I guess I should look at them in camera & see if they're in order there, or getting scrambled on the way to the computer. If it's happening in camera, I wonder if resetting everything to defaults (argh!) and resetting the time would make any difference?

Jul 04, 2017 at 08:07 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cards or camera?

I believe the time is marked when the file finishes writing to the card, not when it was snapped. So big files on slow cards can seem to be out of order.

Jul 04, 2017 at 01:33 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cards or camera?

Andrew J wrote:
I believe the time is marked when the file finishes writing to the card, not when it was snapped. So big files on slow cards can seem to be out of order.

I don't see how this would happen except in rapid continuous shooting. I'm seeing shots taken hours apart out of order.

Jul 04, 2017 at 08:58 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cards or camera?

You have eliminated the card, so it must be the camera. I doubt resetting the camera to factory defaults will do any good.

Jul 10, 2017 at 09:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.