Jul 03, 2017 at 11:52 AM
ajamils
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

leighton w wrote:
This ought to make some folks happy.

http://www.fujirumors.com/ibis-coming-future-fujifilm-x-cameras-trusted-source/

Oh man!! If this becomes true, I'll be back in Fuji camp in no time.

Jul 03, 2017 at 12:01 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

What makes me happy about this news is people will stop whining.

Jul 03, 2017 at 12:11 PM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

Edward Castro wrote:
What makes me happy about this news is people will stop whining.

Not trying to be confrontational, but shouldn't customers voice their opinions in order to push manufacturers to improve products?

I have two XT2's and a slew of Fuji lenses. I'm thinking about leaving Fuji because IBIS in other bodies is much better then OS at 85mm and wider - which is where almost all my shooting is done. Plus there are no stabilized primes and none on the roadmap.

Jul 03, 2017 at 02:54 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

Trek_of_Joy wrote:
Not trying to be confrontational, but shouldn't customers voice their opinions in order to push manufacturers to improve products?

I have two XT2's and a slew of Fuji lenses. I'm thinking about leaving Fuji because IBIS in other bodies is much better then OS at 85mm and wider - which is where almost all my shooting is done. Plus there are no stabilized primes and none on the roadmap.

Correction, the upcoming 80mm macro will have OS and I do believe it will be available in October of this year.

I guess because I've never had a camera with IBIS I've never felt a need for it. Maybe in a couple of years when I decide to upgrade I'll be 'enlighten'.

Jul 03, 2017 at 03:00 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

There are a few things I'm concerned with if they decide to put IBIS in.

1) Cost. I'm sure it will increase the price of new bodies, I just don't know by how much.

2) IQ. As long as it didn't affect what we already enjoy coming out of these sensors, then I would feel better about it.

We have to keep in mind that we are still in the rumor stage, let's wait and see what they come up with. But it is VERY interesting.

Jul 03, 2017 at 04:10 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

Great news. To be honest I have not missed IBIS since moving away from A7II/A7rII. Normally IBIS gives you about 2 to 2 1/2 stops advantage whereas OIS gives you about 4 to 5 stops. For most shooting at shorter FL's this is not so much of an issue as the needed shutter speeds are proportionally less, but for longer and tele lenses is a must... almost.

With the XT2 or D750/D810 I don't miss it but I am very appreciative of the XF 50-140/2.8 OIS and the Nikon 70-200/2.8E FL VR as both provide about 5 stops advantage.

If the IBIS is really well implemented like Olympus it is great to have.

It really sounds like Fuji are embracing IBIS and again listening to their loyal followers.

Jul 03, 2017 at 05:10 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

Wonder if they are licensing the Olympus / Sony ibis or do they have a totally different method?

Increased cost and body size would be two concerns.

Jul 03, 2017 at 06:41 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

charles.K wrote:
Great news. To be honest I have not missed IBIS since moving away from A7II/A7rII. Normally IBIS gives you about 2 to 2 1/2 stops advantage whereas OIS gives you about 4 to 5 stops. For most shooting at shorter FL's this is not so much of an issue as the needed shutter speeds are proportionally less, but for longer and tele lenses is a must... almost.

With the XT2 or D750/D810 I don't miss it but I am very appreciative of the XF 50-140/2.8 OIS and the Nikon 70-200/2.8E FL VR as both provide about 5 stops advantage.

If the
...Show more

Since Fuji use an APS-C sensor, which is lighter than the FF sensors, I think Fuji IBIS will work very well, like Olympus. This is great news for the Fuji users and it removes an obstacle for potential new customers in the future. Canon, Nikon and Leica, i.e. the usual suspects, are again lagging behind.

I find IBIS to be very useful, since you can actually shoot at quite slow shutter speeds with normal and wide lenses, and you won't have to increase the ISO as much with stationary scenes. Slow shutter speeds are posdible, that were never attainable when I shot DSLRs. I think also Sony needs to look out now! The FF advantage in low light will decrease.

Jul 03, 2017 at 06:46 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

chez wrote:
Wonder if they are licensing the Olympus / Sony ibis or do they have a totally different method?

Increased cost and body size would be two concerns.

Remember that all Olympus bodies, in different price ranges have got IBIS. I think the same holds true for new Panasonic bodies as well. The Sony A6500 did not increase much in size over the A6000, due to IBIS. So, I think Fuji should be able to roll out IBIS in all their camera bodies in the next iteration.

I somehow would like an X-Pro3 with IBIS. Sony, are you listening?

Jul 03, 2017 at 06:52 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

Sony has had aps-c IBIS since... well, they started with DSLR's over 13 years ago. At this point, we don't know if it is 5 axis or what sort of system to expect. It could be a simpler 3 axis setup. But no matter what, I would greatly appreciate the 16-55 having some stabilization.

Jul 03, 2017 at 07:16 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

All the Fujifilm primes would instantly have stabilization.

Maybe this is the reason why Fujifilm hasn't included OIS in their 16-55/2.8?

Jul 03, 2017 at 07:23 PM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

I would love to have IBIS. My first DSLR was the Sony a300 and then the a700 and I loved how I could use the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 and f/1.4 at 1/10" shutter speed and still have a sharp image. I missed it a little on the 7D but the High ISO performance made up for some of it.
Also coming from a FF where you could get away with 1/focal length, IBIS would be more useful on the APS-C where you 1/focal length is not enough especially on lenses like the 56mm.

Jul 03, 2017 at 07:27 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

TheEmrys wrote:
Sony has had aps-c IBIS since... well, they started with DSLR's over 13 years ago. At this point, we don't know if it is 5 axis or what sort of system to expect. It could be a simpler 3 axis setup. But no matter what, I would greatly appreciate the 16-55 having some stabilization.

Yeah, I think the 16-55 is my next lens and it would be nice to be stabilized at the long end (don't really care about WA stabilization).

Jul 03, 2017 at 10:18 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

leighton w wrote:
2) IQ. As long as it didn't affect what we already enjoy coming out of these sensors, then I would feel better about it.

I'm thinking this would be a (hopefully) moot point. Might have to deal with shutter shock, then we use electronic shutter

Besides that issue, I've never really experienced any drop in IQ in any cameras I've ever used with IBIS, even way back to the A850. It's basically always beneficial when used properly.

I'm curious to know where Fuji's coming from with this -- their own R&D or just licensing? How it'll work with other OIS lenses, how it'll work with panning (if it works at all), etc. etc. etc.

Jul 03, 2017 at 10:22 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

Edward Castro wrote:
Correction, the upcoming 80mm macro will have OS and I do believe it will be available in October of this year.

I guess because I've never had a camera with IBIS I've never felt a need for it. Maybe in a couple of years when I decide to upgrade I'll be 'enlighten'.

IBIS was one of the least expected, nicest improvements I got when I went to my A7rII (from 5D2 + Fuji). When you haven't used it, it can be surprising how useful it is. It makes 1/FL a breeze without even having to focus on being too steady... on a high resolution camera. I notice an across the board IQ improvement during general shooting with IBIS-- the opposite of the slight degradation OS/IS once delivered (although those systems are much better these days) via more complicated/glass in the lens design.

For the slight increase in size and the potential increase in cost-- I think it's totally worth it.

Imagine the Fuji 16, 23, 35 1.4 (or f/2)... suddenly stabilized.

Once you try it, it's hard to go back.

Jul 04, 2017 at 01:53 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

cputeq wrote:

Besides that issue, I've never really experienced any drop in IQ in any cameras I've ever used with IBIS, even way back to the A850. It's basically always beneficial when used properly.

But didn't all those lines of cameras begin their life with IBIS? Sooo....you really wouldn't have anything to base the IQ on.

Fuji engineers, quoted here, is what makes me question.

“Our XF mount is not compatible with IBIS […] the amount of light at the corners is reduced when the sensor is shifted. We could correct it digitally, but we don’t want to do it: we don’t want to compromise our image quality.”

Edited on Jul 04, 2017 at 05:09 AM · View previous versions

Jul 04, 2017 at 04:34 AM
BokehBeauty
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

Wow, imagine XF 90mm with IBIS.

Jul 04, 2017 at 04:57 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

BokehBeauty wrote:
Wow, imagine XF 90mm with IBIS.

That would be nice.

Also, it would help out shooting with legacy glass. I shoot a lot with an old Nikkor 50-135mm f3.5 MF lens and it gets a little shaky at the long end at times.

Jul 04, 2017 at 05:12 AM
VeniceBeach

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · IBIS Coming to Fuji X Cameras

Video. Yeah.

Jul 04, 2017 at 05:14 AM
       2       3       4       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.