Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource
  

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

  

Youth Baseball Portraits
  
 
gnagel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Youth Baseball Portraits


Each season, I capture photographs of players who play for my travel baseball team. This season I'm managing a 10U team (i.e., all of these players are 10 years old). I usually don't photograph people. In fact, this is the first time I set up my Einstein strobes since last season.

1


2


3


4


5


6


7


8


I used two Einstein strobes to light these pictures. The main light was placed inside of a large softbox and placed camera left. The second strobe was positioned to light the background. I placed a red gel over the back light.

All photographs were captured with the Nikon D800. I used two lenses: Nikon 200 f4 (my sharpest lens) and Nikon 70-200 VRII.

I hope the parents like them.

Thanks for looking...
Glenn



Jul 03, 2017 at 12:14 PM
Corillien
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Youth Baseball Portraits


These are great. I like the variety in poses, expressions, and processing. #2 is a favorite. Out of curiosity, for the black&white/toned images, did parents request that treatment, did you offer, did you do what you thought best for each particular image, or were you just playing and selected a couple for processing that way?


Jul 03, 2017 at 01:05 PM
gnagel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Youth Baseball Portraits


Corillien wrote:
These are great. I like the variety in poses, expressions, and processing. #2 is a favorite. Out of curiosity, for the black&white/toned images, did parents request that treatment, did you offer, did you do what you thought best for each particular image, or were you just playing and selected a couple for processing that way?

Thanks again, Corillien...

Once I finished processing each image in the normal color version, I then went back and selected a few pictures of each player to play with other processing options. For some, I converted to B&W. Others I went with a sepia treatment. And, for some others I used a desaturated look.

Glenn




Jul 03, 2017 at 01:12 PM
glort
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Youth Baseball Portraits



Please stay where you are in your part of the world and don't come here.
I don't want to have to compete with this.

Great pictures. I like the variety of tasteful processing that actually add something to the images rather than look like it was just done for the sake of trying to be creative.
I know the parents will love these pictures and they will definitely be in these kids slideshows as highlights of their 21st Videos.

Well done mate.



Jul 03, 2017 at 01:35 PM
gnagel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Youth Baseball Portraits


glort wrote:
Please stay where you are in your part of the world and don't come here.
I don't want to have to compete with this.

Great pictures. I like the variety of tasteful processing that actually add something to the images rather than look like it was just done for the sake of trying to be creative.
I know the parents will love these pictures and they will definitely be in these kids slideshows as highlights of their 21st Videos.

Well done mate.


Thanks...your kind words are very much appreciated.

Glenn




Jul 03, 2017 at 03:56 PM
P Alesse
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Youth Baseball Portraits


With all the overkill of filters and HDR and sports borders, these are refreshing. It's simple, effective, and well done. Thanks for sharing.


Jul 03, 2017 at 05:29 PM
gnagel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Youth Baseball Portraits


P Alesse wrote:
With all the overkill of filters and HDR and sports borders, these are refreshing. It's simple, effective, and well done. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for commenting...I'm glad you like them.

Glenn



Jul 03, 2017 at 06:09 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


scottiet
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Youth Baseball Portraits


Agree with Paul. I like simple, and you've done it exceptionally well here.

Thanks for sharing

Scott



Jul 03, 2017 at 09:36 PM
gnagel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Youth Baseball Portraits


scottiet wrote:
Agree with Paul. I like simple, and you've done it exceptionally well here.

Thanks for sharing

Scott

Thanks Scott

Glenn



Jul 04, 2017 at 12:53 PM
ScooterShooter
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Youth Baseball Portraits


These are tremendous! It is encouraging to see that you can get such great shots using only two strobes. What is the ambient light?




Jul 07, 2017 at 07:34 PM
gnagel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Youth Baseball Portraits


ScooterShooter wrote:
These are tremendous! It is encouraging to see that you can get such great shots using only two strobes. What is the ambient light?


Thank you...

There was very little ambient light. I tried to remove the ambient light from the equation by setting the ISO at 100...and by using a faster shutter speed (1/250th) and a relatively narrow aperture (f/8). With those settings, the frame is black without triggering the strobes.

Glenn




Jul 10, 2017 at 03:56 PM
dj dunzie
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Youth Baseball Portraits


Well done Glenn! Miss seeing your work more regularly!!


Aug 10, 2017 at 09:09 PM
gnagel
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Youth Baseball Portraits


dj dunzie wrote:
Well done Glenn! Miss seeing your work more regularly!!

Thanks DJ...

I am currently on a photography road trip, so I expect to have many pictures to share in the upcoming months!

Glenn




Aug 12, 2017 at 01:30 AM
rob4bama
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Youth Baseball Portraits


These are awesome! I really like the simplicity.


Aug 14, 2017 at 05:44 PM







FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password