Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

I am fortunate enough to have a d500, a d810 and a d750. I shoot a lot of wildlife, and have some good nikon long glass. My primary body when shooting wildlife is of course the d500. I use the d810 for most other shooting (family, landscapes, etc) and when I can take two bodies with me I switch between the d750 and d810.

Here is my question...I just acquired another d500 from a buddy of mine who was selling his nikon kit. I have to sell a body, and am not sure if I should sell this d500 or possibly the d750...While I think the d750 is the perfect 'all arounder' camera, when I shoot wildlife and can take two bodies, it seems like it would be great to have two d500's strapped to my wildlife lenses...

So would you guys/gals recommend keeping the second d500 so I can have both bodies dedicated to wildlife, keeping the d810 for the rest, or should I just sell the other d500 and stick with what I have?

Thanks...

Jul 02, 2017 at 09:55 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

I shoot wildlife & landscapes in fairly inclement weather and disdain changing lenses in the field. As a result, I keep one D500 on my 200-400, a second D500 on a 70-200, and a D810 on my wide angle choice of the day. All of this and my 105 micro f/4 fits in either my F-stop Tilopa or Mindshift MP3... If it were my decision, I'd sell the D750... YMMV

Bruce

Jul 02, 2017 at 10:45 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

Thanks. I am leaning that way, so I can have my 80-400 on one d500 with my 500mm on the other...and keep the d810 for other things.

Jul 02, 2017 at 11:04 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

Wait a little.
The rumours are getting stronger we will get a successor for the D810 this month or in August. If the specs are according the rumours it's a D500 with an updated FX sensor (not so difficult to guess). Then I would sell both the D810 and D750 and get the new D8xx.

Jul 03, 2017 at 01:44 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

Chris Dees wrote:
Wait a little.
The rumours are getting stronger we will get a successor for the D810 this month or in August. If the specs are according the rumours it's a D500 with an updated FX sensor (not so difficult to guess). Then I would sell both the D810 and D750 and get the new D8xx.

I get that the introduction of a new Nikon camera is exciting, but to be candid... I think the D810 is so good at doing what it does well, that I'm not sure that a new D8xx series would tempt me. Thirty-six MP's are more than enough to print a detailed 30" print and cropable in a pinch. Short of being able to buy a pair of D5's to replace my D500's or the introduction of a "mini" D5 (like the D700 was to the D3), there is not a lot that Nikon can do to tempt me. The only limitation of these cameras is noise performance above ISO1600... you can push them to 3200, but this falls short of my personal tolerance for digital noise... so, short of a mini D5, this 3-body mix is near ideal for the general nature/wildlife/landscape photographer.

cheers,
bruce

Jul 03, 2017 at 07:09 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

Is there anything that keeps you from using the D500 as an all around camera? I've been using APS-C bodies from back when there were no FX bodies. There are a number of excelent ultra wide zooms that allow you to go as wide as you need and then all other focal lengths fall into place. Sell the FX bodies and if you don't have a wide enough lens purchase a used 10-20 or similar. This will allow you to avoid the occasional confusion that happens when you shoot with diffrent bodies that can lead to missed photos.

Morris

Jul 03, 2017 at 08:15 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

OwlsEyes wrote:
I get that the introduction of a new Nikon camera is exciting, but to be candid... I think the D810 is so good at doing what it does well, that I'm not sure that a new D8xx series would tempt me. Thirty-six MP's are more than enough to print a detailed 30" print and cropable in a pinch. Short of being able to buy a pair of D5's to replace my D500's or the introduction of a "mini" D5 (like the D700 was to the D3), there is not a lot that Nikon can do to tempt me. The only
...Show more

I agree with you about the capabilities of the D810, nothing wrong with that.
But with AF and metering of the D5/D500, better high and low ISO (how much??), articulated screen it is likely I'll upgrade my D810.
More Mpx is to be expected, but not necessary for me either.
At least I'll wait for the announcement.

Jul 03, 2017 at 08:19 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

If you shoot mostly wildlife, and if you would actually use them at the same time with a lens on each, keep the two D500's and get rid of the D750. The D810 is a better body for most things and keeps you covered everywhere else. Or sell both the D750 and the D810 and buy the D810 successor this Fall - that's what I would do personally.

Jul 03, 2017 at 09:13 AM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

My 2 cents. Sell the D750 and get a second D500. The D810 and D500 are similar in control. I had once a D750 and sold it quickly after as I could not get used to the controls (coming from a D300 and D700). Since then I only buy DSLR's with similar layout on button/controls. Let us also be honest, you really cannot go wrong with one of these camera's in respect of IQ.

Jul 03, 2017 at 11:01 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

If you sell the D750 and get $900 for it what do you actually gain? I take the D500 and the D810 on my travels and do much the same as the OP with the D500 used with telephoto and macro lenses and the D810 with my "landscape" lenses. To me the D750 is a good backup for both of these cameras and so is with me when traveling in the USA.

If the D810 had a problem the D500 is not a true backup for my needs and having two D500's would not change this in the slightest. Going from the 36MP D810 to the 24MP D750 would be fine. If the D500 died then using the D750 in its place would in most wildlife shooting situations not ruin the trip.

So I travel with the D810, D500, D750, and also a D610 that was modified for IR photography. The weight of an extra body is trivial and all of these camera use EN-EL15 batteries and can use the same SD cards. This provides me with 2 landscape cameras and 1 wildlife camera and one dual purpose camera (D750). For me the D750 is a kind of travel insurance and considering the full cost of even road trips in the USA it is a small price to pay to have it sitting in reserve.

I would not be using two D500 cameras at the same time if I had them. If I wanted to have the 80-400mm or 200-500mm or 70-200mm on one camera and the other attached to a 500mm or 600mm lens then it would be a DX camera on the 500/600 lens and a FX camera with the zoom lens. But that is a very rare situation and I find that either I can set up a tripod and use the super telephoto (often with a teleconverter), or I am shooting hand held and using the zoom lens and in both these scenarios the camera is most likely going to be the D500.

When evaluating any gear choices I consider in what situations it will be used and how many times that is likely to occur and whether the expense or the trouble to haul it around makes sense to me. It is entirely subjective in the end and based on what I like to photograph and where I like to travel. One thing that has changed is that the D500 is to me a true pro camera in terms of build quality and durability and reliability and a great improvement over the D300 which was a big improvement over the D200 which was a substantial improvement over the D100. I wanted a backup for the D7200 but feel no such need with the D500 that replaced it.

Jul 03, 2017 at 12:37 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

Thanks gang. I'm still leaning on selling the d750 and keeping the second d500. My normal wildlife setup is one camera with 500mm and one with 80-400mm...and on my most recent trip to the Pantanal, I had the d500 on the big lens and d810 on the zoom...And as much as I like the d810 for landscapes and general people pics, I didn't think it kept up all that well on af speed relative to the d500, and for wildlife we were out from sunrise through sunset, so we had a bunch of tough light conditions. I probably should have brought the d750 with me instead of the d810. That would be my other option, to sell the d810. But in the right light, I just love the files that camera produces so giving it up would be hard. I am trying to stay disciplined by not just keeping all of them!. I might consider a d810 replacement as well. It will have better af and hopefully slightly better fps, that would be a great combo in an fx body. Someone on my trip had a 5d mkiv, and he loved it. Something like that in a nikon would be an option, albeit an expensive one.

Jul 03, 2017 at 04:09 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

I have the D750/D810 for FF and for traveling I use Fuji XT2's and X100F as my APS-C cameras.

Since you shoot a lot of wild life the D500 is almost a must. I personally love taking my D750 for casually family shoots too where I don't want to carry the weight/size of the D810 and a smaller lens, but the IQ with the D810 is just sublime. Tough choice

Jul 03, 2017 at 05:23 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

Guess I'm odd but I personally prefer my D810 for everything and only reach for my D500 when I absolutely need its AF capability or 10 FPS. IF the D820's sensor truly outperforms the D810's and comes with a true D5/D500 AF module, I'll be upgrading to the D820 and looking for an excuse to sell my D500.

Jul 03, 2017 at 05:57 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

Decision is done, sold my d750 today. Now I have two d500's for wildlife and a d810 for everything else. If/when an 820 comes out and is better, I will consider upgrading down the road when prices calm down. Thanks for all the great advice and have a great fourth!

Jul 04, 2017 at 01:57 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

Gary Irwin wrote:
Guess I'm odd

Nope

Gary Irwin wrote:
but I personally prefer my D810 for everything and only reach for my D500 when I absolutely need its AF capability or 10 FPS. IF the D820's sensor truly outperforms the D810's and comes with a true D5/D500 AF module, I'll be upgrading to the D820 and looking for an excuse to sell my D500.

its how i feel about the d800 and have a strong feeling if i bought the d500 it would face the same fate, hence why i haven't jumped on the d500 bandwagon

and it's the same way i feel about the 820 long as nikon doesn't price it through the roof

Jul 04, 2017 at 02:38 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

I'll probably end up with an 820 to complement the d500's. For me, I just shoot so much wildlife that I want to have two bodies with two lenses that have the exact same setup and performance for animals. I can tell you that I wasn't too pleased with the performance of the d810 I had with me in the Pantanal relative to the d500...But for just about everything else the d810 is superb.

Jul 04, 2017 at 02:40 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

Chris Dees wrote:
I agree with you about the capabilities of the D810, nothing wrong with that.
But with AF and metering of the D5/D500, better high and low ISO (how much??), articulated screen it is likely I'll upgrade my D810.
More Mpx is to be expected, but not necessary for me either.
At least I'll wait for the announcement.

Hi Chris

I feel the same on all your points.....with this addition:

I do not have to use the 46 mpx file size. And when I do not, I am getting an increase in fps.

And when I do want the 46 mpx it is there.

Regarding the D820, I want the latest EXPEED iteration and the D500 AF.

So I am planning to be among the first to buy and give feedback on the D820.

Robert

Jul 05, 2017 at 12:58 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

bs kite wrote:
Hi Chris

I feel the same on all your points.....with this addition:

I do not have to use the 46 mpx file size. And when I do not, I am getting an increase in fps.

And when I do want the 46 mpx it is there.

Regarding the D820, I want the latest EXPEED iteration and the D500 AF.

So I am planning to be among the first to buy and give feedback on the D820.

Robert

So perhaps it's better to trade a D500 for a D820 and keep the D810 for backup.

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:57 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

One parameter not yet discussed is Hi ISO. The D750 is better at Hi ISO than either the D810 or D500. I have a D800e (a real keeper since the resale is so low), a D500 and two D5 bodies (used for low light indoor action).

Remember that the DX sensor is only 40% of the FF sensor. Nikon uses more aggressive (than FF) NR in JPEGS to, at least partially, compensate for the smaller DX pixel area. There's no free lunch in Sensor tech. So, for similar sensor generations, the smaller DX sensor falls behind the FF sensor for Hi ISO in direct proportion to sensor area.

My D5 has about a 1.5 /2 stop Hi ISO advantage over my D500 (my "Queens of the Night" give up low ISO DR to maximize Hi ISO). So I use the D5 for typical tele use and the D500 for pixel limited situations. The D750 is likely to have at least a 1 stop advantage over the D500 and D810. YMMV.

Jul 05, 2017 at 05:45 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Camera body decision...Which to sell..

Gary Irwin wrote:
Guess I'm odd but I personally prefer my D810 for everything and only reach for my D500 when I absolutely need its AF capability or 10 FPS. IF the D820's sensor truly outperforms the D810's and comes with a true D5/D500 AF module, I'll be upgrading to the D820 and looking for an excuse to sell my D500.

I think that the D8xx camera will be autofocus challenged compared to other cameras. The D810 autofocus is terrible, quite frankly and although better than the D200 that is not saying much. Canon users of the 5Ds have expressed frustration with the autofocus of these 50MP cameras as well. I suspect that with the need for physically smaller photosites for the image sensors that the AF sensors are also reduced in size and therefore in effectiveness.

There is an old Mason Williams song with the line "how hopeless it all becomes when you seek all the answers in one" and I think it applies in many situations. No single camera is going to be the best for every situation. For me the ability to have the D810 and the D500 for my own endeavors is great and the combined costs is a lot less than the price for a single D5 body.

Jul 05, 2017 at 05:58 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.