New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Storm over the Shenandoah

beavens
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Storm over the Shenandoah

Been away from the forums for a bit - no worries, I'll catch up on everything I've missed.

More IR here, but no color this time.

Gonna need some feedback from the landscape guys pretty much all around. Decided to crop out the bit of foreground area as I feel it did not add (probably detracts a bit too). This doesn't quite conform to the "2/3 to 1/3" ratio, but seems to "feel" okay to my eyes.

In terms of the landscape realm this is probably on the duller side of things, but hey, going out somewhere without a camera just seems like no fun.

Thanks!

Jeff

Canon EOS Rebel T6    EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens    28mm    f/9.0    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 03, 2017 at 02:34 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Storm over the Shenandoah

Very nice Jeff. Interesting composition with the leafy white trees up front, the rounded undulating hills midground, and that dramatic cloud filled sky.
Steve

Jul 03, 2017 at 02:53 AM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Storm over the Shenandoah

eeneryma wrote:
Very nice Jeff. Interesting composition with the leafy white trees up front, the rounded undulating hills midground, and that dramatic cloud filled sky.
Steve

Thanks Steve! Landscapes are not something that I do much of, but I figure I might as well join the party.

Just might be some time before y'all see anything decent.

Jeff

Jul 03, 2017 at 02:56 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Storm over the Shenandoah

Killer sky, neat foreground. The IR and monochrome treatment gives it life that regular color probably would not have.

Not sure what you mean by 1/3 2/3 treatment unless you are speaking of the horizon placement. I ignore this rule because a typical landscape will put the horizon nearly dead center unless there is a mountain. The most common way to get off center is to crop either the top or bottom.

Jul 03, 2017 at 01:49 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Storm over the Shenandoah

Nicely done, Jeff. I like the layering the white foliage provides in the foreground, against the hills which are in term layered on top by the cloudy sky.
gives the feel of a sunny day interrupted in part by some mildly threatening sky.
I think this also works, albeit with a different mood, if you pull down more dark tones in the sky with a gradient or some curves.

Scott

Jul 03, 2017 at 09:22 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Storm over the Shenandoah

The layering effect and the moody sky is what makes this image IHMO.

There are two things I picked up on right away the bother me a bit. The noise in the sky and the bright sun lite area down in the valley. The noise might be what you wanted (S&P) but I'm not a fan of this type processing. The sun lit section kinda kills it for me though.

If you're going to get into Landscape ya'll better get ready to camp out like Ben does or start setting that alarm clock for 3:30 am.

Dave

Jul 03, 2017 at 11:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Storm over the Shenandoah

ben egbert wrote:
Killer sky, neat foreground. The IR and monochrome treatment gives it life that regular color probably would not have.

Not sure what you mean by 1/3 2/3 treatment unless you are speaking of the horizon placement. I ignore this rule because a typical landscape will put the horizon nearly dead center unless there is a mountain. The most common way to get off center is to crop either the top or bottom.

Thanks Ben! I was referring to the horizon placement. Sometimes I'm not so sure about these rules when my "feel" takes control. I appreciate the insight!

---------------------------------------------

sbeme wrote:
Nicely done, Jeff. I like the layering the white foliage provides in the foreground, against the hills which are in term layered on top by the cloudy sky.
gives the feel of a sunny day interrupted in part by some mildly threatening sky.
I think this also works, albeit with a different mood, if you pull down more dark tones in the sky with a gradient or some curves.

Scott

Thank you Scott! I chose the crop here just for those layers that you're mentioning. OP had some extra foreground underneath the treeline but it felt "off" when I left that in. I'm curious as to how of the pics later in the afternoon came out as there was a lot more sun out after the storm had run through the valley. I should get to those tomorrow [hopefully] so I look forward to seeing how those play out. I might have to rework this one as Dave mentioned the sky seems to be a bit stepped on already and some noise has come out. I try not to take these IR shots much over 400 in terms of ISO so any noise that comes through is from my end.

---------------------------------------------

lighthound wrote:
The layering effect and the moody sky is what makes this image IHMO.

There are two things I picked up on right away the bother me a bit. The noise in the sky and the bright sun lite area down in the valley. The noise might be what you wanted (S&P) but I'm not a fan of this type processing. The sun lit section kinda kills it for me though.

If you're going to get into Landscape ya'll better get ready to camp out like Ben does or start setting that alarm clock for 3:30 am.

Dave

Definitely, Dave - the layering is one thing about the Blue Ridge that I do really like.

Yep - I think I might have pushed the sky a little too much in playing up the stormy moods. I'll check this and see where it was added because natural noise should be quite low with most of these shots.

I'm not worried about the sun lit section as I think it makes a lot of sense for the conditions in play. If it kills the pic for you then maybe some of the later ones I put forth will be your huckleberry.

No sir, I shall do nothing of the sort! IR does not play so kindly with the golden hour light. Where midday light provides the crazy contrast and pop that makes these images work, softer and more diffused light comes off as much more muddled and meh in IR.

Just because I want to get into landscapes doesn't necessarily mean I want to get into Landscapes. Somewhere that requires lightning striking a unicorn that is passing over double rainbows to get some traction isn't my kinda spot, but to each their own. I do really like what Klaus brings to the table though. I hate that guy with the most respect ever.

Jeff

Jul 04, 2017 at 03:58 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Storm over the Shenandoah

beavens wrote:
No sir, I shall do nothing of the sort! IR does not play so kindly with the golden hour light. Where midday light provides the crazy contrast and pop that makes these images work, softer and more diffused light comes off as much more muddled and meh in IR.

Jeff

Oh come on man! I think you might have another body kicking around in the closet. I know a guy that uses a 5DsR for all kinds of beautiful landscapes and that body seems to just love that early morning light.

And if you find a place where lightning is striking a unicorn under double rainbow give me a holler and I'll come running.
I can use all the cheap tactics I can get.
Sorta like the Hardees commercials with the hot chicks eating those giant burgers.

Dave

Jul 05, 2017 at 07:48 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Storm over the Shenandoah

lighthound wrote:
Oh come on man! I think you might have another body kicking around in the closet. I know a guy that uses a 5DsR for all kinds of beautiful landscapes and that body seems to just love that early morning light.

And if you find a place where lightning is striking a unicorn under double rainbow give me a holler and I'll come running.
I can use all the cheap tactics I can get.
Sorta like the Hardees commercials with the hot chicks eating those giant burgers.

Dave

I looked closer at the file and the sky was definitely stepped on a bit much compared to the rest of the scene. I ran some NR against it and it came out better - thanks Dave!

Man, if I get to a station in life to where I can dedicate a 5DSR to IR then I think I'll be sitting pretty. But I see what you're saying, ha. The cool thing that I plan on doing in the future is something similar to what you're proposing. I'd like to take both the regular and IR bodies and either shoot the regular in the early AM and transition over to IR as the light gets harsher or shoot IR midday and transition into the golden like with the regular.

OPTIONS!

Jeff

Jul 10, 2017 at 08:14 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Storm over the Shenandoah

Looks good! Without seeing the non-cropped version, I'd say you did well to ignore the idiotic Rule of Thirds (ROT rots your brain!) nonsense. In this image, the bright, strongly textured trees would completely overwhelm the scene if given a full 1/3 of the print.

One tweak you might try - one I've dreamed up recently - is to apply some very light 'burning' to the bright areas along the right side of the frame. The sky and trees sort of want to "keep going," and tend to drag your eye out of the frame. Just a hint of darkening can supply a subtle - even subconscious - 'limit' to the frame. IMO, this effect works best when applied only to the highlights - dark blobs (lowered mid-tones) stand out as "funny looking."

Jul 23, 2017 at 07:15 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Storm over the Shenandoah

Greg Campbell wrote:
Looks good! Without seeing the non-cropped version, I'd say you did well to ignore the idiotic Rule of Thirds (ROT rots your brain!) nonsense. In this image, the bright, strongly textured trees would completely overwhelm the scene if given a full 1/3 of the print.

One tweak you might try - one I've dreamed up recently - is to apply some very light 'burning' to the bright areas along the right side of the frame. The sky and trees sort of want to "keep going," and tend to drag your eye out of the frame. Just a hint of darkening
...Show more

Greg, thanks for the feedback and response! Sorry, I missed this in the hustle and bustle of a newborn.

Nice tip and one I like to use with most mono conversions! Gotta keep those peepers in the frame - I'll see how that works here.

Jeff

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:18 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password