Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Advice 28mm MF: Voigtlander Skopar 28mm f/2.8 SL II or Ze...

Fr3d
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Advice 28mm MF: Voigtlander Skopar 28mm f/2.8 SL II or Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 ZE (classic)

wayne seltzer wrote:
You only live once! Try the Otus 28 and see the difference in performance. It really renders exceptional images. Love my copy and overlook her plus model size and weight because of the beauty she renders.

I wouldn't use an Otus as much. It is too heavy, too bulky, and overall too much of a lens that I'd be more babysitting than shooting. I learned that lesson from my 50mm f/1.0 L.

Jul 08, 2017 at 12:13 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Advice 28mm MF: Voigtlander Skopar 28mm f/2.8 SL II or Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 ZE (classic)

Otus 28mm weighs (and probably costs) about as much as Batis 25/2, FE 55/1.8, FE 85/1.8 and a whole RX1 - combined, lol. It's a fantastic lens (with a 95mm filter thread). The 1390 gram (ZE) O28 compares with a full mag Hasseblad EL and Zeiss 80/2.8 at 1590 grams all up, as used by NASA in the Apollo program.

Actually, looking at the impressive MTF data sheet, it's clear Zeiss - always practical people - likely never intended the 'Big O' (in fact the biggest O) for much work outside a studio or set. It has a fair degree of astigmatism and curvature at infinity at f4, where most open field 28s spend their time. Focus close and hey presto, lovely smooth f4 flat lines with superbly controlled aberrations, detail lines meet near wide edges. In the field of photographic lenses, the imaged world gets closer each year.

We wait patiently for an infinity optimized Loxia 28mm, with flow on / trickle down goodness from the Big O.

Jul 08, 2017 at 02:53 AM
frezeiss
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Advice 28mm MF: Voigtlander Skopar 28mm f/2.8 SL II or Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 ZE (classic)

jcolwell wrote:
The ZE 25/2 and 35/2 are very similar.

I didnt try the 25 cause it was too close with 28 but I owned the 21 Distagon and that lens is really slmething else!

Anyways, I think the best rendering 25-35 lens is in M mount

25 Biogon
35 Biogon And C biogon
35 Distagon
35 Summarit, FlE

Jul 08, 2017 at 03:40 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Advice 28mm MF: Voigtlander Skopar 28mm f/2.8 SL II or Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 ZE (classic)

philip_pj wrote:
Otus 28mm weighs (and probably costs) about as much as Batis 25/2, FE 55/1.8, FE 85/1.8 and a whole RX1 - combined, lol. It's a fantastic lens (with a 95mm filter thread). The 1390 gram (ZE) O28 compares with a full mag Hasseblad EL and Zeiss 80/2.8 at 1590 grams all up, as used by NASA in the Apollo program.

Actually, looking at the impressive MTF data sheet, it's clear Zeiss - always practical people - likely never intended the 'Big O' (in fact the biggest O) for much work outside a studio or set. It has a fair degree
...Show more

I understand people not choosing this lens because of its high price and/or big size and weight but I don't get your line about zeiss designing this lens only for the studio and that it has so much astigmatism and FC that it would be not a great landscape lens in the field. I think they designed it to be the best wide angle lens period. It's mtf is clearly better than any other zeiss lens in that 25-35mm FL range with less distortion and APO color correction and uber microcontrast. If you had your own zeiss sherpa to carry and offer you any zeiss wide angle lens in that range for you to use, why would not use the Otus 28? I understand too expensive, too heavy for some, not weatherproof enough for some, but to say it's infinity performance is a reason not to use it, I don't get from use of the lens in the last year.
Has anyone reviewing the Otus 28 like a Lloyd Chambers ever mentioned or shown proof of this awful astigmatism and field curvature? I would like to see it and learn.

Jul 08, 2017 at 11:01 AM
Fr3d
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Advice 28mm MF: Voigtlander Skopar 28mm f/2.8 SL II or Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 ZE (classic)

wayne seltzer wrote:
I think they designed it to be the best wide angle lens period. It's mtf is clearly better than any other zeiss lens in that 25-35mm FL range with less distortion and APO color correction and uber microcontrast. If you had your own zeiss sherpa to carry and offer you any zeiss wide angle lens in that range for you to use, why would not use the Otus 28?

Gear just has to be practical (price, handling) and good enough (performance).

I don't want a Zeiss sherpa. Just think of the added expenses and extra overhead. First you need to find a good one that you can trust with your 20k worth of gear. Then you need to manage the logistics (and even more expenses) of bringing your sherpa along everywhere you go.

No Sir, I'd rather spend that time and money on going to places and taking photos there.

Jul 09, 2017 at 11:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Advice 28mm MF: Voigtlander Skopar 28mm f/2.8 SL II or Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 ZE (classic)

Fr3d wrote:
Gear just has to be practical (price, handling) and good enough (performance).

I don't want a Zeiss sherpa. Just think of the added expenses and extra overhead. First you need to find a good one that you can trust with your 20k worth of gear. Then you need to manage the logistics (and even more expenses) of bringing your sherpa along everywhere you go.

No Sir, I'd rather spend that time and money on going to places and taking photos there.

Like I said before, I understand why some will not choose the Otus 28 due to size/weight, high price, and weather sealing issues. What I am trying to say is optical performance speaking, there is no reason why you would not pick this lens. It is the reference for 28mm, better performing than the new Nikon 28 which has LoCA and is not as sharp across the frame. Latest Canon 35 1.4mk2 has the excellent color correction and sharpness wide open but has slightly more nervous bokeh.

Philip_pj said that the Otus 28 has considerable astigmatism and field curvature at infinity and was thus designed by Zeiss to be used only in the studio and not in the field. I guess i want to see images where the Otus is not the top performer at infinity also as well as closer focused and how this lens is NOT the best WA lens optically speaking in that focal range and speed.

Jul 09, 2017 at 01:57 PM
Jmonat7
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Advice 28mm MF: Voigtlander Skopar 28mm f/2.8 SL II or Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 ZE (classic)

The contax yashica zeiss distagon 28mm f2.8 is also lovely and can be adapted (cheap as well).

Jul 09, 2017 at 03:15 PM
Fr3d
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Advice 28mm MF: Voigtlander Skopar 28mm f/2.8 SL II or Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 ZE (classic)

After two weeks with the 35mm Zeiss ... I am absolutely in love with this thing. MF is not easy but snap focus works for me in most situations.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:43 PM
huntjump
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Advice 28mm MF: Voigtlander Skopar 28mm f/2.8 SL II or Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 ZE (classic)

Great choice Fr3d.

For others considering the 28mm size lenses, assuming LTM or M-mount, do yourself a favor and find a voigtlander 28mm f/3.5 (assuming speed is not your primary concern).

Truly one of the best lenses I have, both in build quality and picture rendering. Brass body. Super small (pancake-ish). It is probably the best modern CV lens ever made. Feel free to debate on that one though.

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:41 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Advice 28mm MF: Voigtlander Skopar 28mm f/2.8 SL II or Zeiss 28mm f/2.0 ZE (classic)

Here in the Karakoram, decided to bring the CY 28/2.8 and leave the CY 21mm at home this time. Wow, so good to use this great lens again. Drops into focus fast, truly wonderful green separation, exquisite curvature (feature not bug in Zeiss 28s to deliver depth perception), very easy to shoot a lot of compositions rapid fire. 280 grams light.

Aug 12, 2017 at 07:34 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password