FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2017 · 5d IV vs. Large Format Printing

R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 5d IV vs. Large Format Printing

sorry i have not been commenting gentlemen. but i've been doing test prints and using the NIK Collection. fascinating tools i must add. particularly the output selective sharpening and selective noise tools. next On1 and Qimage to upres for the 1DX. i thank everyone for your input.

i am leaning toward the 50 megapixel 5Dsr. but that is a very specialized camera. it is not an action oriented camera better suited as a static device or studio camera. i only wish i knew when Canon will update the 5Dsr it may be worth the wait.

as for the 1DX, i definitely will have to change my capture style for it by allocating the damned thing to the no crop zone. do i like having to change my workflow? yes i do. but to achieve the necessary results i have to. the right tools for the right job. resistance is futile.

once again i thank every for your valuable input.....

ps you can teach an old dog new tricks

Jul 07, 2017 at 02:40 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 5d IV vs. Large Format Printing

Peter,

First you say that there is no degradation but have not bothered to run a script to verify this which would take only minutes to do, and then you say that as you work with TIFF files and only as a last step do you save them as a JPG file for your clients no degradation exists as the file is saved only once as a JPG.

Don't you realize that you have contracted yourself?

Jul 09, 2017 at 12:52 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 5d IV vs. Large Format Printing

No I haven't contradicted anything. You don't need to run a script, but you do have to start with a clean tiff then save a copy as a jpeg, close it, open it again and then do a save as and keep doing that. I've done that fifty times and THEN layered the last over the first using Subtract and there is no difference at all. It's completely black, showing no difference. If, there were, the Subtract mode would show the areas immediately where any pixel difference occurred.

Of course I work with a tiff or psb when working on files. It's only at the very end that I SAVE A COPY for the clients - actually one full res tiff and one jpeg, which are transmitted to the client. Of course the jpeg has degradation, but it's only saved once.

You also apparently did not read my full description regarding jpeg degradation. You have to change at least one single pixel value OR save with a different level of compression in order to force a re-compression. Simply opening and saving, as you suggested does NOT do that. But it was a fantastic week, weather wise, at least, in my hometown of Monterey. Maybe I saw you out there somewhere. I was in the white car.

Jul 09, 2017 at 01:37 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 5d IV vs. Large Format Printing

I recall reading that after altering the image, the compression algorithms nowadays are such that it only recompresses the altered area. Do you know if that is the case

Jul 09, 2017 at 04:41 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 5d IV vs. Large Format Printing

If you read about how jpeg compression works, you'll see that that's not the way jpeg compression operates. If you alter a single pixel, it has to re-calculate the entire image.

Jul 09, 2017 at 08:27 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 5d IV vs. Large Format Printing

Peter Figen wrote:
If you read about how jpeg compression works, you'll see that that's not the way jpeg compression operates. If you alter a single pixel, it has to re-calculate the entire image.

But if all the 8x8 blocks are identical except one, surely the only one changed would be that 8x8 block (or whatever the size is) where that pixel changed - assuming the parameters for compression were not changed?

Jul 09, 2017 at 08:31 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.