FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · New to dslr need macro advice for nikon d5600

RickatPremier

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New to dslr need macro advice for nikon d5600

Hi
I have 3 online businesses that i shoot 90% jewelry (close up multiple views) had been using a Nikon P550 on manual mode for years and another nikon prior. This is my first DSLR because i needed to improve post photo editing, photo quality and the ease to get my best shot. Take about 300 photos every other day. I need to cut my process time down.

I just got my nikon d5600 and i need to get a macro/micro lens ASAP. I blew a lot of my budget on the camera which was not planned. I need a good lens that is easy to use for a first time DSLR user for my jewelry. I have a good light tent and setup with side and top lighting etc. i have to worry about things like glare and the lens getting in the way of the pic. I was looking at the following:

AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D vs AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED

Questions - Will the 60mm be good enough for now?
I like the ED lens because it sounds like the new glass might be better for photographing metals but I'm reading many like the sharpness and color of D lens better which for me might be better for gemstones and diamonds so I am just not sure?

I might have to buy one used but that is for another day. Now i just need to make a decision fast because working with the camera the past few days with it's current lens (the one that came with camera) has been difficult. I love the camera but I can not get close enough without producing shadows and a myriad of other issues. Need some help fast. Thank you for taking the time, Rick

Jul 02, 2017 at 06:48 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New to dslr need macro advice for nikon d5600

A couple of us are getting excellent results with the Oshiro 2:1 macro, available in various mounts. The company supplying to the UK is based in the USA.

The light tent is probably more hindrance than help.

Harold

Jul 02, 2017 at 01:37 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New to dslr need macro advice for nikon d5600

I'm certain either of the lenses you mention will be fine.
The Lens Harold mentions is excellent value for money but is fully manual so not so easy to use.

Brian V.

Jul 03, 2017 at 12:43 AM
RickatPremier

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New to dslr need macro advice for nikon d5600

Thank you for responding. That is interesting I have been using a light tent for ages. The main reason is for the reflection of any surrounding objects on the metal. Can you explain why the light tent is a hinderance? I want to learn and learning from someone that knows is the best way. TY for sharing.

Jul 03, 2017 at 08:01 AM
RickatPremier

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New to dslr need macro advice for nikon d5600

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Yes, I do not need easy. Since it is not hobby or art photography and the purpose is getting my items up as quickly as possibly I do not really have the time to mess around (which I am already spending to much time in post photo editing). I appreciate your input. Rick

Jul 03, 2017 at 08:02 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New to dslr need macro advice for nikon d5600

RickatPremier wrote:
Thank you for responding. That is interesting I have been using a light tent for ages. The main reason is for the reflection of any surrounding objects on the metal. Can you explain why the light tent is a hinderance? I want to learn and learning from someone that knows is the best way. TY for sharing.

This was the problem for someone with a similar recent enquiry. In any case, from first principles, the idea of the light tent is to maximise diffusion. That, in turn, would seem to minimise control. If I though a light tent was a good idea I would use one. It may be that some find it works well for them.

Harold

Jul 03, 2017 at 08:09 AM
RickatPremier

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New to dslr need macro advice for nikon d5600

Thank Harold. I will try my next batch without the light tent and see how it goes. I've never shot any jewelry without it. I appreciate your taking the time to answer. Rick

Jul 03, 2017 at 07:31 PM
ericphotograph

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New to dslr need macro advice for nikon d5600

I know I might be quite late for this thread but I had similar problem so I wanted to post for future readers. I would suggest Nikon 40mm f/2.8G lens, for me it did wonders and I was able to took more then thousand great looking close-up photos. It is very sharp and low minimum focusing distance will allow you to get some beautiful photos which is perfect for jewelry and that is what you need. Now there are many other macro lenses that are good and it all depends what budget you have but my advice for anybody who is looking for good quality lens is to check their local lens shop since that is one of the easiest way to see what works best for you. You may also read some online lenses guide, lensespro has good guide about Nikon D5600 lenses but there are many other good sites as well that is just an example.
For the alternative if budget is not a problem I would also recommend Nikon 105mm f/2.8G lens which I use a couple of times and it worked great for me but since I am not that much into macro photography anymore I don't expensive macro lense since I mostly do nature, landscapes etc
I hope my advice helped you and I wish all of you luck in finding the best lens for your favorite camera

Aug 13, 2019 at 08:23 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New to dslr need macro advice for nikon d5600

ericphotograph wrote:
I know I might be quite late for this thread but I had similar problem so I wanted to post for future readers. I would suggest Nikon 40mm f/2.8G lens, for me it did wonders and I was able to took more then thousand great looking close-up photos. It is very sharp and low minimum focusing distance will allow you to get some beautiful photos which is perfect for jewelry and that is what you need. Now there are many other macro lenses that are good and it all depends what budget you have but my advice for anybody who
...Show more

There are not many Nikon users here. However, 105mm is good for general macro. I used a Kiron 105 for several years. I don't have a 40mm of any kind, currently using a 50mm, often with a x2 TC. For the higher magnifications (>1:1) I now mostly prefer a 25mm for the wide angle depth perspective, which works well with many of my subjects.

Harold

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:45 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.