Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Some More Hummingbirds

birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some More Hummingbirds

Still having fun with these little visitors.

On the first two, I think the flash is too much, I should have dialed it down more.

First 3 are taken with the Panasonic 100-400 , last two with the Olympus 300mm with 1.4 TC . Still trying to decide between the two.

As always your nits, crits and suggestions are always appreciated.

Hope you enjoy and thank you for looking.

Birdie

E-M1MarkII    400mm    f/6.3    1/1000s    1250 ISO    +1.0 EV  

E-M1MarkII    400mm    f/6.3    1/1000s    1250 ISO    +1.0 EV  

E-M1MarkII    400mm    f/6.3    1/800s    800 ISO    +1.0 EV  

4. And the rains came again

E-M1MarkII    420mm    f/6.3    1/500s    250 ISO    +0.3 EV  

5. On a dreary rainy day

E-M1MarkII    420mm    f/5.6    1/500s    250 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jul 02, 2017 at 03:17 AM
kwilliam8
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some More Hummingbirds

Beautiful, as always, Birdie! My favorites are images 3 and 4.
Keith W.

Jul 02, 2017 at 03:21 AM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some More Hummingbirds

Great series, I agree the flash was too high. I see you had ISO 1250 on the flash shots, was that intentional? I never use flash so it beats me what settings to change?

I love the rain shots btw!
Bob

Jul 02, 2017 at 03:56 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some More Hummingbirds

kwilliam8 wrote:
Beautiful, as always, Birdie! My favorites are images 3 and 4.
Keith W.

Thank you very much Keith.
---------------------------------------------

Bobg657 wrote:
Great series, I agree the flash was too high. I see you had ISO 1250 on the flash shots, was that intentional? I never use flash so it beats me what settings to change?

I love the rain shots btw!
Bob

Thanks Bob. I had the ISO set to Auto as it was late in the day and I was shooting between the shadows and the light not knowing where the hummers would go. In the first 2 shots, he came in close and the flash was just too much at the distance. I was not quick enough to get it dialed down in time with the flash evaluation. The third shot was the same day and it too, had flash , but he was further away.

I need to get quicker with all the dials and buttons on the camera

Birdie

Jul 02, 2017 at 04:27 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some More Hummingbirds

Very nice Birdie. Are you just using auto iso, or are you using flash compensation too? I would think that using flash compensation would help with the changing distances ~ Ron

Jul 02, 2017 at 12:10 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some More Hummingbirds

Hi Roberta,

The colors are really popping in the first two and I'm liking that a lot. They are also a bit flat (lack of shadows) which may bother some. Now that you don't have Nikon's magical TTL-BL you need to dial back TTL flash by about -1 1/3 EV to -2 2/3 EV based on your taste and the background. When in doubt it's always best to air on the less flash is better side.

Are you using a flash extender with these, perticulary the first few? Sometimes the flash can not power down enough when you are close and using an extender.

As for the lenses these are not good to make a comparison as the subjects are too different. I'm seeing what I think are Photoshop brush marks all over the background of the last. If that's not what it is then what is it?

As for the photos the first has great pop and very good sharpness making it my pick of the first 3. 4 is a beautifle image in the soft light and the flash is not evident.

Morris

Jul 02, 2017 at 12:26 PM
viczig
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some More Hummingbirds

Wonderful series Birdie.

Vic

Jul 02, 2017 at 12:34 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Some More Hummingbirds

surfnron wrote:
Very nice Birdie. Are you just using auto iso, or are you using flash compensation too? I would think that using flash compensation would help with the changing distances ~ Ron

Thanks Ron . Using both. I think the bird was just too close for the flash plus extender.
--------------------------------------------

morris wrote:
Hi Roberta,

The colors are really popping in the first two and I'm liking that a lot. They are also a bit flat (lack of shadows) which may bother some. Now that you don't have Nikon's magical TTL-BL you need to dial back TTL flash by about -1 1/3 EV to -2 2/3 EV based on your taste and the background. When in doubt it's always best to air on the less flash is better side.

Are you using a flash extender with these, perticulary the first few? Sometimes the flash can not power down enough when you are close and
...Show more

Thanks Morris. Yes, using the MagMod wildlife kit. I feel they came in too close for the flash and I did not react fast enough to dial it down more. You are correct about the system being different . I don't feel the flash is as powerful as the 910 so I did not have as much negative compensation dialed in . Still in the learning phase with the Olympus gear.

In the last it is a textured background that I replaced the original background with . If all it looks like are photoshop errors then I need to rethink it . I was trying to keep the tones and feel the same as the original.

Birdie

Jul 02, 2017 at 02:23 PM
louie champan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Some More Hummingbirds

Absolutely gorgeous Birdie with #3 being my favorite. The colors are just super.

Jul 02, 2017 at 02:48 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Some More Hummingbirds

Some mighty fine shots Birdie.

Jul 02, 2017 at 04:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

talfulano
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Some More Hummingbirds

That's a really beautiful set.

Jul 04, 2017 at 02:37 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Some More Hummingbirds

Roberta,
I really like picture number four with the rain. I see all of the magical color in the plumage, but the color is subtle and suggests what I'd see if I were taking a walk. As you've heard from others, the first two a bit hot... while you have capture great detail, the pics look a bit flashed. They are lovely images, but that 4th one is a real winner!

bruce

Jul 04, 2017 at 02:52 AM
xterra07
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Some More Hummingbirds

Super #1 and #4

Jul 04, 2017 at 03:15 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Some More Hummingbirds

I really like #4!

Jul 04, 2017 at 04:43 AM
Pius Sullivan
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Some More Hummingbirds

Great work, birdied.

Pius

Jul 04, 2017 at 05:07 AM
golfnphotog
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Some More Hummingbirds

The colors are vivid and still pleasing to the eye. Perhaps folks like you on this board will set the stage for alternative gear for wildlife images.

Jul 04, 2017 at 02:45 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Some More Hummingbirds

A wonderful set. The first three are exceptionally sharp and I don't mind the light from the flash at all. I do prefer the compositions of the last two, putting the hummers in context. While the first three show excellent technique, I feel the tight closeup style of hummingbird photography is something I see fairly often. I like having the context, their place in their environment. I assume the first three are crops so I might enjoy seeing a full frame version. If these are crops, do you shoot with the cropped version in mind at the time? Of the two last images, I prefer the first. Folks may think the Rule of Thirds is an unnecessary guide. It may be but this composition shows its power. The placement of the very sharp eye on a third's point makes for a certain potency that I like.

Jul 04, 2017 at 04:56 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Some More Hummingbirds

Love the mood in #5

#2 is sweet, I like the minimal view of the bird and emphasis on eye on this one and the rich colors
#3 with curled up feet is a nice comfy comp, a little room makes a for a nice feeling here IMO

Great work on the these tiny treasures!
Karl

Jul 04, 2017 at 05:06 PM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Some More Hummingbirds

Beautiful shots. I need some steady ones here.

Jul 05, 2017 at 01:01 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Some More Hummingbirds

Wow, amazing and beautiful (all of them)... Mike

Jul 05, 2017 at 02:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password