Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Fran...

Bodzio

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

Hi All,
In middle of July, I will travel from Bend to Florence. It is 3.5 hrs drive. I plan to leave on early morning 6-7 AM. From Florence to California border is 3 hrs drive and from there to San Francisco is 7 hrs drive. I plan to stay one night in motel/hotel/B&B (any suggestions for a traveler on a budget?). What sites are most attractive to see and take pictures? My photography is landscape and I like to shot lighthouses. Here is a list I made what I would like to see. I understand that my list must be shorter considering a limited time I have. I don't include on my list Point Reyes because I will go there later on from San Francisco.
1. Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area
2. Umpqua Lighthouse SP
3. Cape Argo SP
4. Sunset Bay SP and Shore Acres SP
5. Cape Blanco SP
6. Port Orford SP
7. Seal Rock Recreation Site
8. Redwood National Park.
Thanks for any suggestions
Bob

Jul 01, 2017 at 03:47 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

Seven hours from the border on the coast to San Francisco? I doubt that; good luck.

Jul 01, 2017 at 10:14 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Seven hours from the border on the coast to San Francisco? I doubt that; good luck.

It is 378 miles from Brookings to SF - google maps estimates 7hrs, 20 minutes - which seems about right. I have driven from Florence to SF before.

Jul 01, 2017 at 11:11 PM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

Run, snap!, run, snap!, run, snap!,... dodging slow moving motorhomes, house trailers, RVs, and sightseers on the narrow, winding, roads that connect your listed places to the main coast highways. No time to appreciate these places and compose accordingly. What's the point?

Jul 02, 2017 at 02:02 AM
Abbott Schindl
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

Agreed: planning to shoot that much using Google's estimate isn't worth doing. Seal Rock alone could take a couple of hours, and to do it right you want low tide and angled lighting. Redwood N.P. (and nearby state park) are days worth of photography. Even when I "just" drove through on my way to lodging, I spent a couple of hours shooting. You didn't mention the Darlingtonia (pitcher plant) groves near Florence and on the way to the Redwoods. Each grove could consume an hour or more to really see them and catch decent light.

Did you plan to stop and watch the elk herd outside of Reedsport on your way from Bend?

Shores Acres is stunning, and to get the best views you'll want to walk down to the beach area. Definitely a couple of hours at least, and then there's the nice little Japanese garden near the parking lot.

Most of what you want's on your list, imo, wants morning or afternoon light. Not necessarily golden hour, but definitely not mid-day.

So first advice: Save some of the sights for later and shorten your list quite a bit.

Next: consider staying in Coos Bay (Shores Acres) and maybe a second night in Crescent City (Redwoods) and be more leisurely and deliberate about your photo jaunts.

Jul 02, 2017 at 05:54 PM
Bodzio

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

When I made my list I know that is impossible to see all listed sites in short time. On this trip, my time is limited to two days and I understand very well that I need minimum one week on the same route to satisfy my photography needs. Thank you for responses especially Abbot Schindl for your tips.

Jul 03, 2017 at 12:04 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

i personally would spend more time in Boardman and hit up the Redwoods on the way down. Bandon is also worth a stop, but i think Samuel Boardman area has more stuff for the time constraints

Jul 03, 2017 at 02:47 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

If you're short on time, I would recommend doing Muir Woods (maybe instead of Redwood National Forest?). You can see some pretty amazing redwoods without a big effort.

Jul 03, 2017 at 08:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bodzio

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

Thanks for the tip about S.H. Boardman and Bandon. It looks interesting and it looks that every one mile there is something interesting and worth it to see and photograph. I was to Muir Woods two years ago. Next time I will try to spend there one week or two.

Jul 04, 2017 at 12:22 AM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

Dustin Gent wrote:
It is 378 miles from Brookings to SF - google maps estimates 7hrs, 20 minutes - which seems about right. I have driven from Florence to SF before.

________
It could even take longer because of scenic stops. Some twisty portions demand very slow driving and there are a couple of construction delay areas (Westport, CA and south of Sea Ranch, CA)

Jul 06, 2017 at 05:37 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

First, you MUST make the pilgrimage to the beach where the Most Epic News Story In History was filmed.

Jul 06, 2017 at 06:25 AM
Bodzio

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

wonder if any bones (souveniers) can be found?

Jul 06, 2017 at 07:43 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

Skip the sand dunes (they are grassy anyway, and non-grassy part is full of ATVs), go for Heceta lighthouse instead. It's a very short drive north from Florence. Spend some time in Bandon - there is a cute tiny Coquille lighthouse, and Face Rock State park (I was not really awed by Umpqua light house). There is also a pretty decent Lamplighter motel in Bandon, that will not break your pocket. (Does not have views, thought.) Next is handsome Cape Blanco Lighthouse, very worth a stop.
Can't help with the California part of your trip, sorry.

Sasha.

Jul 08, 2017 at 04:04 AM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

Greg Campbell wrote:
First, you MUST make the pilgrimage to the beach where the Most Epic News Story In History was filmed.

_________
Looks like the explosive charge was perhaps too large. What a mess.

Jul 08, 2017 at 05:14 PM
Bodzio

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need advice for my trip from Florence, Oregon to San Francisco.

Thanks, alatoo60 for advice re sand dunes and lighthouses near Bandon. Heceta Lighthouse is on my list. I made a reservation at Lamplighter Motel and I am ready to go.

Jul 09, 2017 at 04:35 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password