New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Profoto OCF reflectors

stuuke
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto OCF reflectors

Any thoughts on the new OCF reflectors? I purchased the magnum but haven't tried it out yet. Both are really small but not sure why you would go with the standard over the magnum. The standard is slight smaller and might fit in the backpack with the heads but I'd rather have the power.

Jun 30, 2017 at 11:43 PM
Tony1234

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto OCF reflectors

Here is more info about ocf magnum.

http://sophastudio.blogspot.com/2017/06/testing-output-of-new-profoto-ocf.html

Jul 01, 2017 at 02:30 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto OCF reflectors

Light spread between the standard OCF zoom and the OCF Magnum are different. The OCF Magnum is also larger. Like you, I opted for the OCF Magnums seeking to maximize light output on my B1 and B2.

The standard Profoto Magnum reflector boosts output about a full stop. The OCF Magnum is touted to increase output by as much as 1.8 stops. That's almost a full stop more than the standard Magnum reflector. So far in my informal tests in studio, I have not experienced a significant increase in light output using the OCF Magnum on the B1 (tested with and without glass dome) or B2 compared to the standard Profoto Magnum reflector. Bummer, really.

The significant advantages to me for the OCF version of the Magnum is portability and light quality. Soft sided travel case is a nice bonus. OCF Magnum output is definitely increased as with the standard Magnum, but any output advantage over the standard Magnum is minimal. The OCF Magnum is also less expensive than the standard Profoto Magnum. Disadvantage is that there is not an available grid. Aftermarket diffusion socks are easily obtainable. If Profoto or Honeygrids developed a grid for the OCF Magnum, it would be a hands-down winner. I'll be keeping my standard Profoto Magnums for sure.

Ken

Jul 01, 2017 at 02:41 PM
stuuke
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto OCF reflectors

Tony1234 wrote:
Here is more info about ocf magnum.

http://sophastudio.blogspot.com/2017/06/testing-output-of-new-profoto-ocf.html

Good find. Thanks.

Jul 01, 2017 at 03:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stuuke
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto OCF reflectors

Ken, I do wish that it could take grids. The size is great. I'll probably just strap the case onto my backpack. It will be interesting to see tests comparing the output from the standard to magnum. Especially if you didn't see the 2 stops they claim.

Jul 01, 2017 at 03:03 PM
cambyses
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto OCF reflectors

kdphotography wrote:
Light spread between the standard OCF zoom and the OCF Magnum are different. The OCF Magnum is also larger. Like you, I opted for the OCF Magnums seeking to maximize light output on my B1 and B2.

The standard Profoto Magnum reflector boosts output about a full stop. The OCF Magnum is touted to increase output by as much as 1.8 stops. That's almost a full stop more than the standard Magnum reflector. So far in my informal tests in studio, I have not experienced a significant increase in light output using the OCF Magnum on the B1 (tested with and
...Show more

Good feedback. Thanks for sharing. I have the standard Magnum and haven't tried the OCF magnum yet. It sure seems more portable. How about the quality of the light though? How do they compare? In general, Magnum is designed to produce a rather hard light with more contrast and defined shadows. Given the size difference, I would imagine that the output from the OCF version would be even harder, when placed at similar distance to the subject, correct?

Jul 06, 2017 at 05:49 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto OCF reflectors

The new OCF Magnum was designed with the flat-front of the B1, B2, et al. to maximize efficiency with the flat plate glass cover. But it's hard to beat physics---so I think you are correct that the smaller OCF version will produce a harder light, though it may be difficult to quantify in certain terms.

I won't be able to try the new OCF on a portrait session until next week. But suffice to say, the OCF does increase light output (as the standard Magnum also does) and is indeed more portable. I can't say anything about the quality of light versus the standard Magnum, but if it is even close to the magic of the standard Magnum, that will be a big plus. The draw of the Magnum for me is to increase output and better out power the sun.

Ken

Jul 06, 2017 at 09:54 PM
marcus_yam
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto OCF reflectors

I'm curious to see a side by side comparison between the OCF Magnum reflector on a recessed-front B1 and a standard Magnum reflector on a bulb-model strobe like the AcuteB.

The standard Magnum reflector on a bulb-head like the Acute can create such a wonderful light because it utilizes all the surface of the metal reflector and if positioned properly, can create a immense and refreshing light. Especially when the beam is concentrated in the middle.

I wonder if the OCF Magnum on a recessed front can do the same.

Jul 30, 2017 at 04:15 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password