FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Horizon & foreground subject

pshyvers

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Horizon & foreground subject

Ok, this might be a dumb question, but here goes-

I'm trying to learn about landscape photography. I have a grasp of most of the technical details- maximizing dynamic range, post techniques, focus placement, and so forth. But I still have poor composition, which of course is nine tenths of a good photo.

A common strategy I see is the foreground subject with lovely background, using the subject to add interest.

But here's the thing- usually the subject is in the lower half of the frame, and the horizon is in the upper half. See for example:

https://www.ephotozine.com/articles/how-to-ensure-horizons-are-horizontal-16642/images/Lighthouse.jpg

https://digital-photography-school.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Find-A-Foreground.jpg

This means either the photographer cropped the top of the photo, or the camera was angled down. But when I attempt this with my 10-18mm & 7DII (I figure a crop analogue to the venerable 17-40 & 16-35) the horizon is heavily distorted.

What gives? How do landscape photographers deal with this? Is there a trick, a technique? Does everyone secretly correct the horizon with lens profiles? Is it just not noticable in the 16-35mm range, and the 10-18mm is not actually a good analogue despite the whole crop factor thing?

(I know you can use tilt-shift lenses for perspective problems, but they are not widely used from what I can tell, so there must be other solutions)

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:12 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Horizon & foreground subject

I only use tilt-shifts, or 95% of the time. But, it is an expensive option, and not for everyone. However, landscape photographers sometimes become expert contortionists also. Get on your belly, get up high. Minimize camera tilt though and fix in post. And, ultra-wide angle lenses are extremely sensitive when not perfectly parallel with the foreground. And yes, there is often final image cropping in post also.

Jun 30, 2017 at 03:27 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Horizon & foreground subject

What Graig said about tilt/shift.
It wasn't til I got into large format that I appreciated that feature.
I have a Canon FD 35mm T/S with an Ed Mika adapter. About a $400-500 solution.
You might want to consider something like this as a trial.
That way, if the utility of it is seen, then you can go for the newer EF series, available in 17/24/45 & 90mm

Jun 30, 2017 at 04:46 PM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Horizon & foreground subject

All good solutions mentioned thus far. Another one not mentioned, one of my main go-to's, is a multi-image stitch. Point down, snap photo. Move up to parallel with horizon, snap photo. Blend the two images together in photoshop, then crop to your desired frame. (Multiple other shots in between the down-most and parallel shots may also be required to make the transition smooth).

Jun 30, 2017 at 04:50 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Horizon & foreground subject

No one is secretly correcting horizons. It's a normal part of post processing. Correcting for WA distortion and leveling the horizon is very normal and should already be a part of your normal workflow. Not sure why you would think this is some hidden secret.

Jim

Jun 30, 2017 at 05:07 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Horizon & foreground subject

Well balanced color and composition, and moderate color contrast and depth

Jul 01, 2017 at 05:38 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Horizon & foreground subject

You might want to consider posting on the Photo Critique forum. Although that forum is not restricted to landscapes, it is a great place to discuss techniques such as composition, cropping and post processing.

Jul 01, 2017 at 10:08 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.