FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

chrisgibbs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

Hey speaking of Roger and Lensrentals, maybe our online retailers should hire him to show them how to pack expensive photography kit properly, Lensrentals do a super job here - they're right up there with Apple!!!

I suspect crappy handing/lousy packing by some mail-order retailers doesn't help with some of these issues! Plus the packaging Sony use, well, it really could use a little more thought (maybe that's why the Batis fares a little better here, that shipping box is artful).

Jul 09, 2017 at 07:23 PM
chiron
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

I consistently find Amazon's packing of photo gear to be terrible--it is loose in the box with a couple of air pillows that don't do a thing to protect, cushion, or prevent excessive movement during handling.

I consistently find that B&H does an excellent job, with gear cushioned and securely padded on all six sides.

Jul 09, 2017 at 07:45 PM
timballic
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

Batis 85 finally arrived! I'd begun to wonder if seller had had a heart attack on the way to the post (promised Monday!), as he didn't respond to emails! Thankfully it's with me safe and sound now.

...and it was well packed (Though I don't understand someone sending a 700 lens by post and trying to save a few 's by sending it uninsured!)

Only had time to do a quick centring test, and all seems well centred. Phew!

As a newbie to using AF lenses, I'd like some advice. I'm shooting landscapes from tripod, so obviously Steady Shot OFF.

I'm shooting AF-S, is there any advantage turning Pre-AF on or is that only for AF-C?

Also, "lens compensation" settings, is there any disadvantage leaving them set to Auto?

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:17 PM
timballic
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

A bit more time to compare charts. Batis 85 vs. FE 85/1.8 (The FE has been returned, but my test set-up hasn't changed)

Apart from at F/1.8 where the Batis is clearly sharper and better clarity, at F/2.8 the FE has better corners than the Batis, from there up to F/11, it's neck and neck!

Very, very little to tell them apart. I'd hoped the Batis would trounce the FE, but not at all. Apart from wide open, it's a draw! (The FE does have more distortion). I suppose I am a little disappointed! It just goes to show me how good the OM Zuiko 90/2 really is, that I've always used as my yardstick for this FL.. It trounces them both for sharpness.

Next I will get out, to do infinity test and bokeh test...if it ever stops raining!

Jul 15, 2017 at 01:34 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

timballic wrote:
A bit more time to compare charts. Batis 85 vs. FE 85/1.8 (The FE has been returned, but my test set-up hasn't changed)

Apart from at F/1.8 where the Batis is clearly sharper and better clarity, at F/2.8 the FE has better corners than the Batis, from there up to F/11, it's neck and neck!

Very, very little to tell them apart. I'd hoped the Batis would trounce the FE, but not at all. Apart from wide open, it's a draw! (The FE does have more distortion). I suppose I am a little disappointed! It just goes to show me how good
...Show more

Ever considered the FE 90/2.8 MACRO G OSS?

Jul 15, 2017 at 01:58 PM
timballic
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

k-h.a.w wrote:
Ever considered the FE 90/2.8 MACRO G OSS?

Hmm, I may indeed have to reconsider that. I did mention it earlier, when the FE 85/1.8 failed to inspire, but then I decided to try the Batis.
After the brilliance of the Manual focus OM 90/2 that I'm used to, (brilliant at close and distance, flat field and bokeh-wise), I'm a bit underwhelmed by both the AF 85's.

However, no one has yet answered the question for me, as to how the 90 macro performs at distance, which is where most of my requirement is.

Jul 15, 2017 at 02:22 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

timballic wrote:
Hmm, I may indeed have to reconsider that. I did mention it earlier, when the FE 85/1.8 failed to inspire, but then I decided to try the Batis.
After the brilliance of the Manual focus OM 90/2 that I'm used to, (brilliant at close and distance, flat field and bokeh-wise), I'm a bit underwhelmed by both the AF 85's.

However, no one has yet answered the question for me, as to how the 90 macro performs at distance, which is where most of my requirement is.

Well, here you go. Handheld. Please check whether the stars are sharp enough for you. Super-Harvest Blood Moon

Sony ILCE-7RM2 + FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS, ISO 3200, 90.0 mm, f/2.8, 1/5s.

K-H.

Jul 15, 2017 at 02:47 PM
timballic
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

How on earth do you shoot something like that, and at 1/5s handheld!?

Actually, though it looks excellent, I can't really tell how sharp it is, not being used to looking at star shots! ...but I gather from what you're saying that it is very sharp at distance! ;o)

Jul 15, 2017 at 02:52 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

timballic wrote:
How on earth do you shoot something like that, and at 1/5s handheld!?

Actually, though it looks excellent, I can't really tell how sharp it is, not being used to looking at star shots! ...but I gather from what you're saying that it is very sharp at distance! ;o)

Thanks. Oh, I was sitting in a chair holding my camera. My legs are a bit wobbly.
Also, IBIS really works miracles!

K-H.

PS: The lens does nice portraits though.

Sony ILCE-7RM2 + FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS, ISO 100, 90.0 mm, f/2.8, 1/160s.

Jul 15, 2017 at 03:04 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

K-H, you just saved me $600. I have the FE 90mm, love its colors and bokeh. Looks like I can use it for my very very rare occasion for portrait stuff.

Jul 15, 2017 at 03:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

kdrk888 wrote:
K-H, you just saved me $600. I have the FE 90mm, love its colors and bokeh. Looks like I can use it for my very very rare occasion for portrait stuff.

You are welcome! I consider my copy meeting the specs!
BTW, for portrait shots I put Eye-AF on the Focus Hold button of the lens.
Works like a charm!

K-H.

Jul 15, 2017 at 04:05 PM
scalanc2

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

Are you sure the eye is in focus?

Jul 15, 2017 at 04:08 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

scalanc2 wrote:
Are you sure the eye is in focus?

May be not in the picture above.
It took me awhile to learn how to use Eye-AF.
The above shot is a fairly old image.

K-H.

Edited on Jul 15, 2017 at 04:53 PM · View previous versions

Jul 15, 2017 at 04:25 PM
timballic
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

Seems to me, the only way to tell which I'm going to be happy, (with Batis 85 or macro 90), is to get the 90 macro as well and keep them both for a while and try them both together.

(The eyelashes on front eye look sharp to me?)

Jul 15, 2017 at 04:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

timballic wrote:

It's likely that the FE 90/2.8 G is optimized for close distances. I'm sure it will be ok at infinity but may not be the best option for your needs unless you shoot macro and perhaps portraits with it. Keep in mind that the FE 90/2.8 G has very high variability so it may not be very easy to get a good copy. I don't think you can do better than the Batis 85 at infinity distance althought the FE 85/1.8 is not far behind. The 85 GM is also amazing at infinity but much bigger and expensive. I agree about the manual focus and wished it was 'linear' focus-by-wire.

Jul 15, 2017 at 04:34 PM
timballic
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

Thanks Fred. I'm longing to get out with the Batis for some "real" shooting outdoors 'o)

Jul 15, 2017 at 04:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

timballic wrote:
Thanks Fred. I'm longing to get out with the Batis for some "real" shooting outdoors 'o)

All these lenses are great but my choice for landscapes is the Zeiss 85/4 ZM. It's manual focus and true infinity is at the hard stop. It's very close in IQ to the Loxia 85/2.4 and the reason why I didn't get the Loxia.

Jul 15, 2017 at 04:38 PM
timballic
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

If only they were AF! Now my eyes are ageing.

Jul 15, 2017 at 04:40 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

timballic wrote:
If only they were AF! Now my eyes are ageing.

For landscapes at a distance you don't need to focus with this lens. It's point and shoot.
At infinity, perfect focus is at the lens hard stop. That's why I love it.

Alternatively you could use the TechArt Pro adapter with it and gain AF but keep in mind this lens is a f/4.

Jul 15, 2017 at 04:44 PM
timballic
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · LR test: Sharpness Tests of the Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

My "landscape" always includes foreground interest, and very, very rarely is it at infinity setting...

...as here, with Canon TS-E 90/2.8, here w/o any movements. I love that lens! (This is the sort of shot I'm wanting the Batis for.)
Walls, Track and Barns by Tim Ball, on Flickr

Jul 15, 2017 at 04:48 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password