New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

DJI Inspire Lens Options

Unclejoe1116
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DJI Inspire Lens Options

I apologize for my ignorance on most things Micro-Four-Thirds... I usually stick to the full-frame realm. However, I'm looking at a DJI Inspire, with the X5R or X5S (Depending on which Inspire I get).

My question is this: does anyone have experience mounting "non-supported" lenses on drones? DJI has a list of about 8 lenses that are supported, but I would love to be able to take advantage of a few others if/when I get a new drone.

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:58 PM
flash
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DJI Inspire Lens Options

I have both inspires. It's not that easy to just mount unsupported lenses. Some won't balance and some won't work at all. What lenses do you want to mount?

Gordon

Jul 01, 2017 at 09:57 AM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DJI Inspire Lens Options

flash wrote:
What lenses do you want to mount?

No clue haha I normally photograph using full-frame Nikon, so I'm just now starting to research MFT options. I have a Phantom 3 that use, and I am looking to upgrade to something with a little more DR. Really like the idea of having a telephoto option, and it looks like the only option is the Zuiko 45mm. Any longer options available?

Jul 01, 2017 at 06:53 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DJI Inspire Lens Options

Well the Inspire 2 certainly has more DR than the Phantom 3. Heaps more.

There's nothing longer you can use other than the 45mm (90 equiv). The only two short primes that are longer (60mm and 75mm) are too front heavy for the gimbal. The Sigma 60mm is too fat to even fit.

The 45mm is an excellent optic though. Vastly better than it's price suggests.

On the insipre 2 I carry the 9-18, 12, 15, 25 and 45mm lenses. Total weight is less than a kilo. The zoom is versatile but doesn't resolve what the primes can. The 14-42 pancake also works and can be zoomed from the remote but I haven't tried that one in the air yet. I'm confident I'll still be back to primes after a trial though.

Gordon

Jul 01, 2017 at 09:26 PM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DJI Inspire Lens Options

I'm thinking of getting into video some, and the idea of using the Zenmuse X5R is intriguing. Especially given the availability of speed boosters to use my existing Nikon FF lenses. So it isn't just limited to use on the Inspire.

That's good feedback on the 45mm though. I've started getting some inquiries about professional video work, so having a gimbal-mounted sensor that's better than a cellphone seems to be the way to go.

Jul 03, 2017 at 03:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

flash
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DJI Inspire Lens Options

I assume you mean getting a "normal" m4/3 body for the speed booster because it won't mount to any of the inspire cameras. Not even the X5R on the Osmo handle. That's GH5 territory.

Gordon

Jul 04, 2017 at 01:13 AM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DJI Inspire Lens Options

flash wrote:
I assume you mean getting a "normal" m4/3 body for the speed booster because it won't mount to any of the inspire cameras. Not even the X5R on the Osmo handle. That's GH5 territory.

Gordon

Why won't it? I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I am completely ignorant on virtually all things MFT.

Does that mean a MFT to Nikon adapter won't work either?

Jul 09, 2017 at 02:54 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DJI Inspire Lens Options

Unclejoe1116 wrote:
Why won't it? I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I am completely ignorant on virtually all things MFT.

Does that mean a MFT to Nikon adapter won't work either?

Firstly because it physically won't fit. There's a gimbal arm so only lenses of a certain diameter will fit. Tollerances are very tight.

Secondly because you'll never get the gimbal balanced, which is absolutely essential. If it's not balanced you'll start with shaky images and end up with burnt out gimbal motors. That's a whole new camera, right there.

Thirdly because the DJI firmware only recognises supported lenses. For example if I put my 9-18 onto my Inspire 1 it won't recognise the lens at all but it's fine on the Inspire 2, which supports the 9-18.

Fourth because even if they did fit and even if they were supported the flight times would plummet because of the extra weight.

The lenses you can use on an Inspire is strictly controlled and somewhat limited. If you want to use anything not supported the you'll need to go above the Inspire level. And a Matrice or S900 is a completely different level of complexity.

What lenses do you want to use that can't be replicated by supported lenses?

Gordon

Jul 09, 2017 at 04:04 AM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DJI Inspire Lens Options

flash wrote:
What lenses do you want to use that can't be replicated by supported lenses?

Gordon

That's extremely helpful information. I do appreciate you taking the time to explain Zenmuse to someone who knows nothing

Mostly, I was looking to not have to buy all new MFT sensors. I've got the 70-200 VRii on Nikon, which could still be amazing on a smaller sensor.

The more I look at it, the more I think I should get an a6300, and pair it with a Matrice. Or maybe I should just stop spending my money before I have it haha

Jul 10, 2017 at 03:22 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password