New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

sizzzzlerz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

I'm planning to view the solar eclipse in August and, along with my 5DIII and 70-200 f/4, 1.4x and 2x extenders, I am considering the purchase of a new lens. My options are the 400mm f/5.6 and the 100-400 II zoom. In order to make a decent size image, I need effective 500-800 mm of glass so the 70-200 with extenders isn't quite enough. I'm also planning a trip to Africa in the next year or two so this lens will play a big role there as well. I like the convenience of the zoom but the 400 is considerably less expensive.

Any recommendations?

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:19 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

I'd save up a bit longer, and get the zoom.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:25 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

sizlerz wrote:
I like the convenience of the zoom but the 400 is considerably less expensive.

Any recommendations?

The 400 has only one focal-length. The zoom has 300 focal-lengths.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:38 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

Looks like "sizlerz" puts the FM parser to sleep.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:05 AM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

For Africa, the 100-400 is the goto lens. My choice, and discussed in many, many threads.

If you are shooting the sun itself, 200*1.4*2= 560. You will have to manual focus, but you have plenty of light - you looking at the sun.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:38 PM
sizzzzlerz

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

I hadn't really considered that. Beyond slowing down by 3 stops, are there other issues with the resulting images?

I don't have the extenders yet or I'd be out testing this myself. Thanks for the idea.

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

sizlerz wrote:
I hadn't really considered that. Beyond slowing down by 3 stops, are there other issues with the resulting images?

You'll need really good support. Use LiveView manual focus, with shutter delay and/or remote release.

sizlerz wrote:
I don't have the extenders yet or I'd be out testing this myself. Thanks for the idea.

You can't stack Mk III extenders on each other, unless you have a short extension tube between them. That works fine for close-in stuff, but the maximum focus distance will be within spitting range, and so shooting the moon is out. You can stack some combinations of older extenders (e.g. 2x II + 1.4x I). Optically, the 1.4x II is probably about the same as the III (I went from I to III), but the 2xIII is definitely superior to both earlier versions. You might be able to stack a 2xIII and 1.4xII, but that's a guess on my part - you should definitely not count on it until somebody can verify it, based on experience

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:22 PM
voltaire
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

Before you put your eye on the viewfinder, make sure you have a solar filter on your lens. I know it is an eclipse but you'll need to use a filter to protect your camera and your eyes when you point it straight at the sun with that focal length. My two cents.

I usedthis when I had my 500 f/4 IS.

http://www.telescope.com/430-ID-Orion-Full-Aperture-Solar-Filter/p/7730.uts?refinementValueIds=4380&keyword=solar%20filter

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:23 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

Get a 100-400mm
For the eclipse you'd add a 1.4x to it along with a baader solar filter frame (inexpensive premade filter with frame for this lens size) which comes off easily for totality. Even at f8 without a tracker, you should be able shoot everything under 800 ISO easily.
Finding the sun is surprisingly difficult at 600mm. Then without a tracker, you have to keep relocating it.
Get a little solar finder to put flush onto the filter. Consider a manfrotto geared head too.
Live view will auto focus quickly on the sun edge, but it is a little inaccurate at times.

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:22 PM
sizzzzlerz

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

Voltaire:

Thanks for your tips. I'm an experienced amateur solar observer (telescope) but this is my first attempt to do solar photography so I'm well aware of the protocol for viewing the sun. I've already decided on a solar filter but I'm waiting to decide on the lens.

dgdg:

Thanks for your inputs. What is this solar finder you mention. Do you have a link or product name?

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:41 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

It is a Kendrick Astro self adhesive sun finder. There is no separate product page, but if you go to the link below, just scroll down a bit. I didn't tape mine down, it is very easy just to hold it flush to your solar filter and move your lens until the sun spot is perfectly centered in the finder circle. At 600mm, it is always in my field of view but not perfectly centered. Did I already say I love it? I'll say it again then!

With a 100-400mm you can cheat a bit zooming out first (built in finder scope!), but I wouldn't count on being critically focused once you zoom back to 400mm.

http://www.kendrickastro.com

David

Jun 30, 2017 at 07:28 PM
malgegg
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

The two biggies for Africa
100-400ii and 70-200 For low light situations. Be a cheap wide angle. 20mm or something.sunset pics in Africa often taken at 300 - 400mm

sizlerz wrote:
I'm planning to view the solar eclipse in August and, along with my 5DIII and 70-200 f/4, 1.4x and 2x extenders, I am considering the purchase of a new lens. My options are the 400mm f/5.6 and the 100-400 II zoom. In order to make a decent size image, I need effective 500-800 mm of glass so the 70-200 with extenders isn't quite enough. I'm also planning a trip to Africa in the next year or two so this lens will play a big role there as well. I like the convenience of the zoom but the 400 is considerably
...Show more

Jul 01, 2017 at 06:24 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

This may help.

Jul 01, 2017 at 06:54 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

I've tired shooting celestial objects, mostly moon eclipses. The zoom gives flexibility in FL, but for whatever reason I think I get better images with my old 400mm f/5.6. If you are looking for eclipse and wildlife then the zoom is definitely the choice. On the other hand, used 400s are cheap and still have a place in my arsenal. As you already know, the solar filter is an absolute must. I'll be writing and illustrating a piece for my local paper as the event comes even though we are going to only get 60%. I hope people listen.

Jul 01, 2017 at 10:28 AM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

would this https://www.adorama.com/vxsgawls86.html

for on Sigma 150-600 C?

I need a answer ASAP, thank you all.

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:11 AM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

The 100-400II is an awesome lens. Definitely worth the money, especially with newer cameras that perform well at higher ISOs.
I'll often leave my 500L II at home, it's that good!

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:49 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

sizlerz wrote:
I'm planning to view the solar eclipse in August and, along with my 5DIII and 70-200 f/4, 1.4x and 2x extenders, I am considering the purchase of a new lens. My options are the 400mm f/5.6 and the 100-400 II zoom. In order to make a decent size image, I need effective 500-800 mm of glass so the 70-200 with extenders isn't quite enough. I'm also planning a trip to Africa in the next year or two so this lens will play a big role there as well. I like the convenience of the zoom but the 400 is considerably
...Show more

Having just finished a fabulous trip to Africa, I would definitely advise getting the zoom. I took a lot of photos there, about 60% with a 500 f/4 L IS+ 1.4xIII, and about 40% with the 100-400 II. If you only will have one body, the 100-400 is the way to go.

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:09 PM
sizzzzlerz

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which lens for shooting the eclipse and wildlife

Got the 100-400 zoom per many recommends. Leaving for oregon tomorrow and I'm totally jazzed. I have been practicing on the full sun and I think I'm ready

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.