FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Fuji or sony

charles.K
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fuji or sony

millsart wrote:
Its really interesting how subjective peoples opinions can be on what aspects are "better" on a given camera, which really reflects how differently we all shoot and use them.

For example, the Eye Detect AF on Sony's I agree is pretty awesome, especially in AF-C mode, when it works. Now for me, shooting people who wear glasses, its rather unreliable. Likewise, with wider focal lengths they subject just doesn't seem to fill enough of the frame to get it to activate. Someone else who's maybe shooting models with a 70-200 probably has near flawless success with it. Its a great feature,
...Show more

I agree I have been one of the strongest proponents of the Sony A7 series when they first came out as many will know having coming from Leica M9/M240/Monochrom. My intent was to use the M series lenses which was strongly advertised on the A7/A7r release with the adapters that came free as there was only the FE 55/1.8 and FE 35/2.8 then. After 18 months of trying adapters with many lenses, I just gave up and sold of my M lenses

It is important to note that it is not the body so much as the lenses I aspire to use. With the Leica M series, the lenses are truly extraordinary but at a price. My favorites, WATE, 21 SEM, 28 Cron, 35 FLE, 50 Lux Asph, 50 Noct f/1.0, 50 Cron IV, 75 Cron, 75 Lux and 90 Cron. If the lens system does not mesh it does not matter how good the camera body is. But it often it is the integration of the lens and body that makes it work.

This is the strength of the Fuji system as you have so much choice and lenses are second to none. Yes it is only APS-C but if this not enough opt for the GFX

The Sony A7rII is an excellent body and lens system is advancing quickly with many excellent choices now. Still as a cost/value proposition as new entry system it is very high. When I exited from Sony, I had about 35K worth bodies/lenses which grew fast with the new native mount lenses. I was about to buy the newer GM FE 70-200/2.8 and price in Australia was around 4.5K which just blew my interest along with the complete lack of Sony service in Australia. It has improved since then but is not at the level of Canon/Nikon/Fuji.

What makes the Fuji X system work for me is that I do have the option for FF by acquiring used bodies and lenses for a fraction of the price whether is it Canon or Nikon. It allows me to have the best of both

Jun 30, 2017 at 11:45 PM
Elisha82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Fuji or sony

I looked into getting the Sony A7 series in 2014 before I bought my D750. But every lens I wanted was huge and kind of defeated the purpose.
I still wish they would make a A7S sensor in a higher MP count.

Jun 30, 2017 at 11:56 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Fuji or sony

Elisha82 wrote:
I looked into getting the Sony A7 series in 2014 before I bought my D750. But every lens I wanted was huge and kind of defeated the purpose.
I still wish they would make a A7S sensor in a higher MP count.

The A7S is a great camera and one of my favorites using it in combo with the 50 Cron IV and 50 Nocti f/1.0 (Mandler). Although a mere 12 MP it is possibly to make A2 and A1 enlargements easily. The tonality and graduation is superb. The A7S used is great value and it seems to be mesh better with legacy lenses.

Shots below with the A7S and 50 Nocti f/1.0 shot at f/1.0.

Jul 01, 2017 at 12:09 AM
Elisha82
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Fuji or sony

Those lines look great. Maybe they will make an 18 or 20MP version of it soon. I would love to have one with a 50mm lens.

charles.K wrote:
The A7S is a great camera and one of my favorites using it in combo with the 50 Cron IV and 50 Nocti f/1.0 (Mandler). Although a mere 12 MP it is possibly to make A2 and A1 enlargements easily. The tonality and graduation is superb. The A7S used is great value and it seems to be mesh better with legacy lenses.

Jul 01, 2017 at 12:25 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Fuji or sony

For a better view on this subject I suggest cross posting to the Sony forum. There are many professionals, some wedding photogs, on that forum shooting Sony. They might give a different perspective.

Jul 01, 2017 at 11:52 AM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Fuji or sony

charles.K wrote:

Amazing!

Jul 01, 2017 at 07:53 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Fuji or sony

I no longer have the A7s but it is true that there is something special about the look of it's files especially when converted to B&W. In the end I just really need 2 A7rII's so I had to sell it but if you don't need IBIS and 12mp are enough for you it's well worth a look

Jul 01, 2017 at 07:56 PM
ajamils
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Fuji or sony

Going from Fuji to Sony, didn't you miss IBIS? For me that's the main thing that made me switch back to Sony from Fuji. Though I still miss Fuji and been debating about going back but lack of IBIS makes me think twice.

millsart wrote:
Had Sony for a while, sold it, started to have a desire for FF again, re-bought into the system, finding the lenses were even bigger/heavier than I remember and even more expensive. Also found the A7rII a bit slower to work with than I remembered, though its not a bad camera by any means.

One thing that really hit me though was how much more work I had to do to tweak colors to my liking. On the Fuji's the colors and white balance just come out near perfect for my taste. They maybe aren't accurate, but they look darn
...Show more

Jul 02, 2017 at 12:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Fuji or sony

Trek_of_Joy wrote:
Amazing!

Thanks

Jul 02, 2017 at 12:17 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Fuji or sony

ajamils wrote:
Going from Fuji to Sony, didn't you miss IBIS? For me that's the main thing that made me switch back to Sony from Fuji. Though I still miss Fuji and been debating about going back but lack of IBIS makes me think twice.

I feel the discussion should not be exclusive but rather be inclusive and we can have both FF and APS-C. The XT2 is a superb system and the A7rII is excellent also. It just the cost/value proposition is important now as the options for FF used gear is amazing.

When Leica first introduced the M9, it was the first small light weight system with some of the best lenses I have ever owned period. I loved the M9 then the M240/Monochrom as it then was only small FF available at very high entry cost. I ended up selling a lot of older gear to fund some of more exotic M lenses To this day the M9 is still a great camera.

When Sony introduced the A7 series I felt it would replace Leica as a system and moved on my M240's/monochrom. As mentioned the A7 series never replaced the M9/M240/Monochrom with M lenses, and the Sony lenses are advancing quickly but still are not in the same league as Leica, Canon/Nikon ... yet. The A7rII with IBIS was a huge step forward, excellent in every respect but the all the fast lenses are now very similar in size to DSLR's. It would seem with FF fast lenses there is no real way to reduce the size/weight of lenses without opting for Leica M designs at 4 times the cost.

I will be honest when I moved to the Sony system, I dismissed Canon and Nikon, but both were advancing with their newer bodies and lenses. I have come from film Nikon and many iterations of Canon bodies/lenses. If I am casually shooting for pleasure/art form or just relaxing the XT2 and D750/D810 are great options. Sometimes I just want the DR of the D810 at 64 ISO low key portraits or the fun and taking the XT2 along the beach or traveling. No wrong choices. If I am doing more serious portraits or events, the FF Nikon D750/D810 with strobes works extremely well. The Nikon or Canon gear can be rented from many locations in Australia for very little cost and used pricing makes it attractive for now.

All said the new Sony A7rIII or A9r I feel will be a great. The A9 does not interest me as I do not wish to have FF with lesser MP's, lower DR and extreme FR for a very high entry cost. Though for many the A9 is great workhorse and camera

Jul 02, 2017 at 12:43 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Fuji or sony

ajamils wrote:

I think IBIS is cool, and I did have an EM1 mkII which has a near super-natural 6 stops of stabilization, which can allow for handheld shutter times of several seconds, at least on the wider end. It is a very useful feature no doubt.

However, I find for the type of stuff I shoot, it doesn't really help anything, as subjects like my dog won't hold still for 1 second, much less 1/10th of second. Doesn't matter what camera, IBIS or not, I'm setting the shutter speed fast enough to freeze motion, not stop camera shake.

On the other extreme, as much as I did enjoy being able to get some longer handheld exposures, it again proved a little less than useful because what I couldn't really do was bracket exposures as I'd still get movement between the frames so for things like blending, or the high rez mode, a tripod was still needed.

Honestly when I do a longer exposure I generally like LONG exposure, like 1 minute plus, so even if I can handhold a seascape for 1 or 2 seconds, it doesn't yield the same results as a true long exposure.

IS is of course increasingly important on the long end of things, and no way can I really manage something like a 400mm without it, BUT, Fuji actually has OIS in all their long glass like the 50-230, 55-200, 50-140, 100-400, and its is a very, very good OIS system, that works for about 5 stops

If you want to handhold half a second with a 50mm equiv, your going to miss it with Fuji, though they do have OIS in the 10-24 and 18-55, and 16-55. The 16-55 lacks it, as so the fast primes, but does one really need to shoot a fast prime handheld at a long shutter speed ?

There certainly is something to be said for IBIS, and OIS, but if you generally shoot pictures of subjects that move, shoot during the daytime, or sunset where your underexposing considerably anyways, I don't know if its really that much to miss.

Jul 02, 2017 at 02:18 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Fuji or sony

There is a rumour now that Fujifilm will introduce IBIS in the X line of camera bodies.

Jul 03, 2017 at 11:55 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Fuji or sony

I like using my xt-1 but prefer the output such as sharpness, tonality and separation from my A7. Colors are often better on the Fuji, better does not mean accurate though. For accuracy of colors the A7 is better. Sony colors are like Nikon with extra saturation an contrast.

As for lenses theyre both great. Sony best Fuji a bit but it better be for the price. The special but expensive lenses like 35 1.4, 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 doesnt have Fuji peers. The rendering of those modern sharp glass combined with the best FF sensor is so nice. Good thing sigma releases the ART line so Canikon users could have access to sharp 35, 50 and 85 lenses but I still prefer Zeiss rendering, bokeh and weight savings of the Sony system.

Jul 09, 2017 at 02:18 PM
trip2space

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Fuji or sony

I have been using XT-2 since over a year and no doubt it is a best camera for portraits I have ever used.
This fuji can easily do anything my full frame cameras can do and I like it better. Besides I am a pro wedding photographer who covers about 30-35 weddings at my current rate. And XT2 is essential to my workflow. I glad I can do amazing shots with much less global editing.
Me experience: (1 year using)
Cons:
- low light focusing can be a little slow or miss
- need battery grip to do long events
Pros:
- High Quality
- Lighter than DSLR
- Smaller than DSLR even with a grip
- high
- best wifi experience in comparison with other cameras
- can print directly from camera which is also OK

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:00 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Fuji or sony

There is a lot to be said for the Sony system but there are issues as well. I am not a fan of the ergonomics or layout of the Sony cameras (although I do find them workable), some of the limitations can be annoying as well, e.g., electronic first curtain affecting the bokeh at high shutter speeds and fast apertures, but it is a good coherent system and you do not need large lenses. The following primes are all relatively small:

Zeiss Batis 18 f/2.8 - about the same field of view and depth of field as a 12 f/1.8 lens on APS-C; wider and much shallower depth of field capabilities than the Fuji 14 f/2.8 and still only weighs 330g
Zeiss Batis 25 f/2 - about the same field of view and depth of field as a 16 f/1.3 lens on APS-C; has slightly shallower depth of field capabilities than the Fuji 16 f/1.4 and yet weighs 40g less at 335g.
Sony 28 f/2 - about the same field of view and depth of field as a 18 f/1.3 lens on APS-C; Much shallower depth of field capabilities than the Fuji 18 f/2 and yet only weighs 200g.
Sony/Zeiss 35 f/2.8 - this lens is truly tiny and about the same field of view and depth of field as a 23 f/1.8 lens on APS-C; significantly smaller and lighter than the Fuji 23 f/2 and yet has slighter shallower depth of field capabilities.
Sony 50 f/2.8 Macro - about the same field of view and depth of field as a 33 f/1.8 lens on APS-C; Fuji doesn't really have a comparable macro, but this little gem weighs just 236g
Sony/Zeiss 55 f/1.8 - about the same field of view and depth of field as a 35 f/1.2 lens on APS-C; shallower depth of field capabilities than the Fuji 35 f/1.4 and yet weighs just 279g.
Sony 85 f/1.8 - about the same field of view and depth of field as a 56 f/1.2 lens on APS-C; this lens has very similar capabilities as the Fuji 56 f/1.2 but weighs about 30 grams less at 376g.
Zeiss Batis 135 f/2.8 APO - about the same field of view and depth of field as a 90mm f/1.8 lens on APS-C; shallower depth of field capabilities than the Fuji 90 f/2 and weighs just a bit more at 614g.

The new 12-24 f/4 ultra wide zoom is also notably small (just 540g) and an excellent performing lens as well. So, as you can see you do not need large lenses for the Sony system. This group of lenses which covers almost everything is very similar in size to the Fuji lenses when you equate field of view and depth of field capabilities.

Still Fuji APS-C is a very reasonable choice for many people. It is in general cheaper than Sony, and the X-trans sensor tilts the performance of the sensor to reduce a bit of the resolution at smaller ISOs in exchange for better high ISO performance. In my view a lot of how you feel about the sensor should be determined by that tradeoff. For some it will be a good tradeoff and not so good for others. In addition, the Fuji lenses are quite strong performers. The cameras also have very nice ergonomics. So, I feel both of these choices are excellent. I have enjoyed my Sony kit, but there have been annoyances as well.

Really both systems are excellent choices, and both will do portraits very well. For weddings you might appreciate the new Sony A9 and it blazing speed and excellent AF, but then again it is a lot more money. It would be nice to have the A9, but the A7rII or the Fuji XT2 can also do wedding quite well too although they do have limits that the A9 does not have.

Jul 12, 2017 at 07:28 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password