New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Fuji or sony

Blackjeep3
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji or sony

I currently am using a Fuji xt2 setup and was considering a trade for a Sony A7R2. I shoot pretty much exclusively Portraits And Wedding. Was looking for input from people that have experience with both systems as far as opinions on this possible trade.

Jun 29, 2017 at 09:18 AM
Elisha82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji or sony

No joystick. Expensive native lenses. The good lenses are big and heavy.

Jun 29, 2017 at 09:36 AM
sputnik
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji or sony

I tried to like the Sony, but the interface really threw me off! The Fuji:s really inspire me to shoot, but as always - other people feel differently. If I was lioking for a hires body I would go for the D810 today, being a longtime Nikon shooter.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:04 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji or sony

I am a long time Sony shooter, from long before mirrorless. I loved the system, but the price of lenses drove me away. The menus are fine: they are essentially the legacy of the Minolta 7D. Just different. They could be improved, but all menus can (and not just just for camera bodies).

With Fuji, I got to get excellent glass and best of all, every lens is a full frame equivalent. No half measures with Fuji.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:39 AM
VeniceBeach

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji or sony

I would look at the lenses and decide if Sony offers an advantage for your style of work.
After getting an XT2 I sold my A7r2 and A7s2.
But, I kept my A9. The insanely fast AF and high frame rate make the A9 one of those cameras that just flat out gets the shot.

For portraits, if shallow DOF is a big part of your style the Sony with Eye AF and the 85 1.4 is a winning combination.

For jpegs, I prefer the Fuji over any Sony.

For menus, the A7 series is awful. If it is all you use then you will adapt to it and be fine. If you use other gear a lot then the horrid Sony menus will baffle you for life. The A9 is loads better.

The Fuji weather sealing is top rank.

The Fuji is more fun. Some of the high quality Fuji glass is cheaper and lighter but Sony has more options.

For video, the XT2 has great 4 K but stabilizing the image is hit or miss depending on lens choices. The Sony has built in stabilization which can be super handy. Also, the A9 let's you frame grab in-camera and export a jpeg from a 4 K video. This is a handy feature if you don't routinely do this in post.

Good luck! No bad choice here.

-Bill

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:13 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji or sony

I am all Sony, but oddly, want to add a Fuji for travel and other fun things.

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:19 PM
VeniceBeach

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji or sony

I just went to Universal Studios with my family and took only the XT2 and 16/1.4.

I was very happy with the photos.

-Bill

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:35 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji or sony

Shooting portraits and weddings having a FF option is an excellent choice. I love my Fuji XT2's and X100F but there are times where having FF shallow DOF, high DR and fast dynamic AF is a must for moving portraits and weddings and most importantly having a mature flash/strobe integration.

The A7rII is excellent but the system is very expensive and the appropriate fast lenses are very similar in size to DSLR's. The A7rII I feel is better suited more travel/landscape and static portraits. The A9 is now up there with later iterations of DSLR's but at a high entry cost.

I have the D750/D810 with the 24 Art, 35 Art, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 58G, 85/1.4G, 85/1.8G, 105E and 70-200/2.8 E with the SB 910/700 for portraits/events all of which has been purchased used except for 2 lenses. For me personally having the lenses are more important as bodies will come and go. At the present used pricing, Nikon FF is very affordable without having to sell your Fuji's.

Canon 5DIV is superb as I am sure the new 6DII will be too. There are no wrong choices

Edited on Jun 29, 2017 at 09:13 PM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2017 at 06:14 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji or sony

Had Sony for a while, sold it, started to have a desire for FF again, re-bought into the system, finding the lenses were even bigger/heavier than I remember and even more expensive. Also found the A7rII a bit slower to work with than I remembered, though its not a bad camera by any means.

One thing that really hit me though was how much more work I had to do to tweak colors to my liking. On the Fuji's the colors and white balance just come out near perfect for my taste. They maybe aren't accurate, but they look darn good, at least for the type of stuff I shoot which is pastel colors of beach sunsets now that I'm living on the Gulf. With the Sony I just couldn't quite capture the same hues, or it required a fair bit of work. With the XT2 I'm back with its as simple as just point and shoot, the JPEG's come out of the camera near flawless.

Overall shooting experience is a bit better with the XT2 as well, its a faster focusing camera, the direct controls are improved etc. Sony has come a long ways though and FW4.0 really helped a ton. However, with the XT2, if I saw a kid running along the beach I wanted to get some shots of its as simple as turn the one dial to burst mode, flip the front switch to AF-C and I'm shooting at 8fps with AF-C. Dedicated control for everything, while on the Sony you need to enter a menu via a custom button to change from AF-S to AF-C, and also a menu to change the drive mode etc. Not awful, but darn quick and easy with the Fuji

I can change ISO, I can change AF mode, I can move around the focus point, I can change shutter speed, I can change aperture, I can access bracketing, drive mode, time etc all with a physical dial, which is really nice. Sony requires a little more button pressing, though again, its a lot better than it used to be.

XT2 just felt much quicker overall too, instant review of shots instead of having to wait like on the A7rII, faster burst shooting, AF snappier. I'm sure the A9 would resolve all those issues, but its a $4500 camera......

I've got some nice images from the Sony, and it is better in terms of DR and resolution, no question about it, but as I walked along the beach this evening with the lightweight XT2 body and the 16/1.4, I was quite pleased with the speed, handling and also images I was getting from the Fuji in terms of color and overall rendering.

The fact that I'm able to replace my Fuji kit and still come out with money in my pocket after selling the Sony gear is also nice.

From experience, I'd keep the Fuji's, however, there is something to be said for trying out a different system firsthand, as that is the only way you really will know.

Perhaps rent the A7rII and a few lenses like the 85 1.8 FE and see how you feel the colors, response, resolution etc are. If you like it better, sell the Fuji gear. if you don't, be glad you kept it and enjoy using it knowing the grass isn't greener elesewhere

Jun 29, 2017 at 08:55 PM
Blackjeep3
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji or sony

Thank you for the in-depth, well thought out response. It, along with other opinions and further research, has me convinced to stay with my Fuji setup. My only real 2 issues with the system are 1)wanting a little more high iso performance and 2) what I see as very “nervous” looking bokeh when foliage is present, regardless of lens, jpg/raw, etc.

Jun 29, 2017 at 09:08 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji or sony

If you have issues with foliage bokeh, you !ay be having issues with Adobe. I always convert mine in Irident, and they are much cleaner.

Jun 29, 2017 at 09:30 PM
dakel
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji or sony

I have the Sony A7RII and Fuji X-Pro2. Several things would put me off the Sony for weddings. First, no joystick to move the AF point although apparently the new firmware allows the rear control wheel to be used. Second, the sound of the shutter sucks. Yes I could use silent shutter but I like hearing a sound after I press the button. Now the Sony A9 remedies both these issues and would be a great wedding camera.

Just an amateurs opinion. I really like using the X-Pro2.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:16 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji or sony

I have both systems and as much as I love the handling of the XT2 it just doesn't equal the the A7rII in terms of IQ and DR. I also really appreciate having IBIS with any lens. Sadly I think my fuji system will be going to pay for some of the new Sony Glass that is coming out. I also like being able to use the lock on continuous AF with eh Sony's which is not available on the fuji's and eye AF is much better with the A7rII

Jun 30, 2017 at 03:40 AM
twelveish
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji or sony

You've already made your choice, but FWIW I use both systems and like them about the same, for different reasons and uses. For portraits in general and on location & natural light in particular, I prefer the Fujifilm (X-T1 in my case). I much prefer the way the files from the Fuji look for people shots. In the studio I'll go A7 most of the time. For landscapes too, in general, although I'd pe perfectly happy with either here.

I agree with millsart, whenever I use the Sony for people, I have to tweak colors a lot more than with the Fuji, where that's often the last thing I need to consider in post, if at all. That's fairly often the case in non people shots as well. It's my least favorite thing about the A7 cameras. OK, second least. (I think every A7 series user with glasses will know what I mean). Still, for some uses it's hard to beat.

I'm not a pixel peeper, I don't think sharpness is of main importance, and I often prefer landscapes in B/W. That's sort of where I'm coming from, so you may want to take that into consideration.

Jun 30, 2017 at 04:25 AM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji or sony

As someone that owns and uses two XT2's and A7rII, the XT2 has better controls - mostly. If you shoot stills and video a lot you're constantly flipping the drive mode switch between them which gets old really quick. I'm traveling around the world for a year and just about everything I shoot get a few stills and a quick video clip. So I shoot in whatever drive mode was used last and go 4 clicks to the other, often more than a hundred times in a single day. This alone is driving me nuts enough to dump Fuji.

Fuji really needs to add a record button to its cameras, flipping a lever over and over to switch into video mode is silly. If they're trying to make inroads on the video side - this would be an easy change to make. Its a faster camera in operation than the A7rII thanks in large part to UHS-II support which Sony lacks. But Sony's AF is still much better IMO, tracking and eye-AF are much more reliable in my experience on the A7rII - especially is you use the lenses that focus wide open.

Fuji has the lenses, but Sony has a few gems that aren't large like the 28/2, 55/1.8 and 85/1.8 and the 16-35/4. All but the 85 have been around for awhile so they can be had cheap off the B&S board here.

For video the Sony is just so much better thanks to IBIS. Fuji only has a few stabilized zooms and doesn't appear to have any plans for stabilized primes or IBIS. Sony also has more comprehensive color settings and an internal log profile. I use a modified version of the Cine 4 profile that needs no grading in post, just a touch of contrast. Sony also has the video exposure tools Fuji lacks - namely zebras. Fuji has a nice oversampled video image wrapped in a not so friendly video body.

If you're a LR user, the detail is so much better with Sony than Fuji - even when shooting 18mp crop mode on the A7rII. Fuji raws have more noise at comparable ISO's. I find other Fuji raw developers to be really slow, especially with my travel setup, so I'm going to have to re-process everything when I get home on my iMac. The Fuji profiles can be replicated with a custom preset and tone curves, I never shoot anything other than Classic Chrome and Arcos.

I rarely shoot jpeg's outside of panos in cam, since the DR can't match raw. Unless you need instant turnaround I'd prefer to make a few quick adjustments in LR and apply a Fuji color profile. Some say there's a difference, the only difference I can see is more DR in the raw image and no banding if you need to push things a bit.

I'm on the fence about which system to fully commit to, I went all in on Fuji late last year, but my most used lenses - the 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200 are all taking in a lot of dust as they aren't weather sealed in any way. I've had the Sony 16-35 for a couple years and it has less dust than my 10-24 did after only three months, its much worse after almost 7 months. Fuji's wide zooms also change exposure when shooting video - even when shooting on full manual - thanks to internal lens corrections. Its really annoying when panning while shooting video and watching your exposure change. The 10-24 and 18-55 do this a lot. None of my Sony lenses have shown the same behavior. I've seen this in panos as well - both internal panos and stitched shots - there are bands where you can see the changes in exposure. Both are heavily corrected so the alternative is more to correct in post. Each option is equally frustrating.

I also shoot a lot of handheld video and the other lenses I own - the 23/1.4, 56/1.2 and the 16-55/2.8 are not stabilized. I also have the 50-140 which is awesome in every aspect, but I don't carry it often. If you want fast glass, you're not saving much weight over equivalent FE lenses. The Fuji 2.8 zooms are just as large at the F/4 FE lenses, and the FF sensor has enough DR and a lower base ISO to make up any exposure difference.

The new FE 12-24 is really calling me as the UWA zoom is my most used lens and is always on one of my bodies as I travel. Right now there is nothing wider than 10mm on Fuji that's not a fisheye. Sony has 12 and 10mm options.

Not sure where I'll eventually land, but it feels like I'm getting pulled back to Sony. My wife and I return home at the end of the year and she's on board with me shooting whatever I want, so I'll pick a system at that point and sell off the other. If Sony brings the A9 speed, AF and ergo improvements to a lower priced body, I don't think I'll be able to stay away form Sony any longer.

Jun 30, 2017 at 05:29 AM
Codda

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji or sony

This post may be completely irrelevant ... APS -C vs. APS - C. I had an X T2 and sold it to acquire a Sony a6500 for video with no intention to shoot photos. I ended up dipping into the photo side and was amazed at the Sony output and ease of use. I always saw the two compared but was uninterested in the Sony at the time. I know it's blasphemy - but for me I actually think the Sony is easier to use and a bit quicker overall than the X T2. I'm a left eye shooter and the dials on the Sony work better for me than the center eye piece of the X T2 and joystick. You can almost live just off the center command dial for a lot of on the fly adjustments. The files are definitely different but I'm impressed with how much you can push around the Sony files and for some reason Lightroom is faster with the Sony. I do own a Fuji x100f which I love and would likely be picked over the Sony if I had to. It's odd that a lot of the photo examples I see online from the a6500 aren't that great ... but I'm impressed with my results. I use the 10 -18 and 28mm f/2. Depending on your style and intentions ... the Sony lenses aren't that much more expensive. I own both lenses for less than 1k. As far as video ... there is little comparison ... the Sony wins easily.

Jun 30, 2017 at 06:20 AM
Blackjeep3
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji or sony

I appreciate everyone’s continued input to this thread! It’s nice to see constructive input from so many different sources. For what it’s worth though, the video capabilities of either of these systems is a non factor for me. Rarely, if ever, shoot anything but stills. Thank you once again for your opinions.

Jun 30, 2017 at 06:50 AM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji or sony

if you could afford it, the A9 is spectacular to use, and the color and image quality SOC is fantastic. both my A7r2s are relegated to 2nd camera and back up.

Jun 30, 2017 at 09:39 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji or sony

Its really interesting how subjective peoples opinions can be on what aspects are "better" on a given camera, which really reflects how differently we all shoot and use them.

For example, the Eye Detect AF on Sony's I agree is pretty awesome, especially in AF-C mode, when it works. Now for me, shooting people who wear glasses, its rather unreliable. Likewise, with wider focal lengths they subject just doesn't seem to fill enough of the frame to get it to activate. Someone else who's maybe shooting models with a 70-200 probably has near flawless success with it. Its a great feature, but if your primary subjects have glasses, it might not seem so useful. Again the A9 seems to work better, and there is certainly a trend of "get the A9 and resolve all your issues lol".

Likewise for things like video AF. I find the XT2 hands down better than the A7rII with regards to focusing. Sony gives you lots of profiles and adjustments, but they give no real control over video AF. Focus tracking with lock-on is in my opinion useless, because I have less than a 50% success rate with it, and so many times the AF-C just fails to select the right subject, or takes forever to refocus etc. The XT2 on the other hand seems to do a very good job of selecting the focus, changing focus when required, and with no stuttering etc. So for someone who maybe shoots manual video and does grading etc, the Sony can offer more profiles etc. I think the XT2 can do a log mode but with an external recorder. Maybe a big deal breaker for some, but for someone like me who wants to shoot AF video and who doesn't grade footage, the XT2 gives better, or at least easier to use results. I certainly don't mind changing the mode to video either as I'm very, very unlikely to record a spontaneous clip. I was honestly fine with my Xpro2 and didn't miss video at all, to each his or her own though

Sometimes I don't even know if the detail is better with the Sony. It has more resolution for sure, but, that also just shows how decentered your lens can be In all seriousness, I found that with a lens like the Sony 16-35/4, I'd often have pretty soft corners or a soft left side in at least 2 of the copies I owned. The Fuji 10-24, which can be had for a fair amount less, has been sharp across the frame in the 2 copies I owned. I think sometimes that A7rII resolution is a double edged sword as it can be great to pixel peep, but it can also make any flaws in the IQ very apparent, and maybe those flaws are just in your technique and not the fault of the gear, but you just don't notice them on lower resolution sensors.

I think Sony's next camera is going to really get it all right, speed, easy of use, resolution and overall IQ all in one package. I think its probably going to be a fairly expensive body though, so it maybe check off a lot of boxes, but when combined with the lens prices, its a fairly pricey system to shoot, at least as far as mainstream offerings go. I think I for one actually may end up sitting it out, sticking with something like Fuji, because when I take a good hard look at my actual needs, the fact my output is nothing more than web images to share on this forum, how much time I actually have for shooting et al., I just can't really see good reason to have like $10,000 sunk into a high end Sony body and GM lenses.

For some people it makes good sense, but, a camera like the XT2 is very capable, and I bought essentially an entire system with some excellent glass all for less money than just an A9 body alone would of cost me.

Jun 30, 2017 at 01:59 PM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji or sony

millsart wrote:
Its really interesting how subjective peoples opinions can be on what aspects are "better" on a given camera, which really reflects how differently we all shoot and use them.

For example, the Eye Detect AF on Sony's I agree is pretty awesome, especially in AF-C mode, when it works. Now for me, shooting people who wear glasses, its rather unreliable. Likewise, with wider focal lengths they subject just doesn't seem to fill enough of the frame to get it to activate. Someone else who's maybe shooting models with a 70-200 probably has near flawless success with it. Its a great feature,
...Show more

Everyone does indeed use cameras differently. After shooting them both a lot over the last few months - even if Sony's eye AF can't lock like with glasses, it reverts to face detection and that still does a better job of tracking subjects in AF-c or Lock mode compared to the XT2 - again in my experience. I've had better success keeping face detection on Sony, with Fuji it locks and disappears with more regularity. Sony will follow dog and bird eyes too. The face detection on my A7rII tracks statues faces as well, I was just in Italy, France and Greece, got a chuckle every time the A7rII locked onto a statue with the box and tracked its face as I moved around. I had to use center point AF in some cases because it was moving around too much.

Same in video, once the A7rII is locked on a face it follows it very reliably. Fuji focuses where the AF point is placed and does it very well, but it can't track a subject better than the Sony IMO. Exposure tools are still vital, and Fuji lacks those. The lens exposure issue with the zooms bugs me a lot too. IBIS is a bigger difference maker than AF differences, and the biggest reason I'm considering dumping Fuji - because they don't seem interested in stabilizing anything beyond a few zooms and with the severe rolling shutter its impossible to shoot with lenses that lack OS and not introduce shake. IBIS eliminates the micro jitters.

I like the Fuji system as a whole, but a few issues for me - mostly stabilization and lenses sucking dust - are pushing me away from them after using the XT2 heavily over the last 7 months. Unfortunately this is stuff that wasn't as obvious when renting them for a week.

Cheers

Jun 30, 2017 at 05:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.