FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              71      
       73       74       end

Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

bclaff_too

Upload & Sell: Off
p.72 #1 · p.72 #1 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Dlee13 wrote:
...I don't mean this in an argumentative way but in a curious way since I know nothing about the SL2, can it take super clean shots at high ISO'S like 16,000 like the 6D2? If not than it doesn't offer the same I as the 6D2.

I haven't measured Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) yet but Read Noise figures stringly suggest the 200D/SL2 is the same sensor as the 80D.
So comparing PDR for the 6D Mark II and the 80D is appropriate.

Jul 30, 2017 at 03:32 AM
bootster
• •
p.72 #2 · p.72 #2 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

RobDickinson wrote:
AFIK the 7D was the first lower end body with dual processors?

That's why it costs so much more. Regardless of anything else, it costs money to put two processors in a camera body. The 7D Mk II is sill running around $1,500 or so at B&H. The dual processors contribute to the high cost. Processors cost money. Two costs twice as much as one, irregardless of how fast they are, they are going to cost money to put it in a camera design. The benefits show in performance of the overall body. The 7D Mk II has some older technology in it, but it is still demanding a high premium due to the physical fact of the two processors, but the fast action guys will gladly pay for the fast framerate, like the 1D series.

Consequently, the higher technology allows the 6D Mk II to be that much faster than the previous 6D at the same initial price. I am really happy about the speed of the 6D Mk II. I was comparing them head to head today and it may not seem like much on paper, but when you actually compare them physically side by side, the difference is quite remarkable. I really didn't like how slow the 6D was, but this new camera has a very acceptable shutter frame rate for what I am shooting.

I was hooking the camera up to my new Surface Pro and it is connected to both the Bluetooth and the Wi -Fi, just to see what each connection is capable of and what each will be used for and I have had the low power GPS activated, meaning the camera is connected to the GPS the entire time, even when it's powered off so I can see how much power drain there is with the new "Mode 2". It would be nice to have it constantly connected for trips and so forth.

Jul 30, 2017 at 03:34 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.72 #3 · p.72 #3 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

RobDickinson wrote:
The 5d4 has a DIGIC 6+ for image processing and DIGIC 6 for metering and tracking.

Thanks for correcting me on this Rob. I hadn't noticed this in reading the specs.

Jul 30, 2017 at 04:35 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.72 #4 · p.72 #4 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

I find it odd that bundling the 6DII with 24-105 F4 II does not give any price break as opposed to purchasing the two separately, either at B&H and Adorama in the US, or Henry's and The Camera Store in Canada.

What then would be the point of ordering a bundle vs purchasing separately?

Jul 30, 2017 at 09:34 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.72 #5 · p.72 #5 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

It's funny I'm a tech guy but I have no real interest in what dsp is in my camera, only what capabilities it has overall.

They need to move on with these to provide the data throughput, card access, menus etc but it itself isn't anything I'd ever base a purchasing decision on.

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Thanks for correcting me on this Rob. I hadn't noticed this in reading the specs.

Jul 30, 2017 at 09:40 PM
Dlee13

p.72 #6 · p.72 #6 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

pliukait wrote:
I find it odd that bundling the 6DII with 24-105 F4 II does not give any price break as opposed to purchasing the two separately, either at B&H and Adorama in the US, or Henry's and The Camera Store in Canada.

What then would be the point of ordering a bundle vs purchasing separately?

Convenience is the main reason.

They stopped selling the bundles for cheaper because retailers were removing the lens and selling it for a lower price, this prevents them from doing that.

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:00 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.72 #7 · p.72 #7 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Then, just to belabor this Digic thing a bit more. I can't find any outside confirmation of dual digics in the 5D4 except a wikipedia page with limited references. Canon's web site doesn't show more than Digic 6+ in their description, and on their comparison page they show the 1DX2, 7D2, and 5DS/R all with dual digics but show the 5D4 and 6D2 with a single.

This is only important for accuracy sake, but can anyone provide a primary reference for duals in the 4?

Edited on Jul 30, 2017 at 11:16 PM · View previous versions

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:09 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.72 #8 · p.72 #8 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

I've seen a tear down of the 5d4 with circuit board with 2 DIGIC labelled, not sure if it's true

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:14 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.72 #9 · p.72 #9 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

According to The Digital Picture review of the 5DIV it only has one Digic 6+ vs 2 Digic 6 in the 5DS.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Specifications.aspx?Camera=1074&CameraComp=980

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:18 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.72 #10 · p.72 #10 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Thought I remembered seeing that extra processor called out in an image too - maybe on LensRentals? Curious why Canon doesn't brag about it like in their other bodies?

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobDickinson
• • • •
p.72 #11 · p.72 #11 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

As I said one or two is really unimportant from our point of view m

The camera does what it does

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:23 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.72 #12 · p.72 #12 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

I agree Rob, the engineers put in what the specs need. I'm just curious now since my original response was corrected and I'd like to know. BTW, Not specified in the LensRentals teardown.

EDIT: Last I'll say about this until evidence to the contrary: Imaging Resource's review of the 5D4 specifically says the 1DX2 uses dual Digics while the 5D4 "makes due with only one".

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:31 PM
SoftImage

p.72 #13 · p.72 #13 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

pliukait wrote:
According to The Digital Picture review of the 5DIV it only has one Digic 6+ vs 2 Digic 6 in the 5DS.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Specifications.aspx?Camera=1074&CameraComp=980

5D IV has 2 Digic processors. 6+ and 6. 6 for metering and tracking. See this official introduction video at 0.48 minute.

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:43 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • •
p.72 #14 · p.72 #14 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Whatever is in the 5D4, it is very good for Sports AF. I have no issues tracking NBA level play. I have used the 1D4 for several seasons, and the 7D2 and 5D4 have matched the capabilities of the 1D4. Obviously not to the level of the 1DX2, but I would think the 5D4 is very close to the 1DX anyways.

Also since the burst rate isn't close to the 1DX series, the processor that is usually dedicated to that activity of processing and writing out the files doesn't have the same requirements.

Jul 30, 2017 at 11:45 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.72 #15 · p.72 #15 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

SoftImage wrote:
5D IV has 2 Digic processors. 6+ and 6. 6 for metering and tracking. See this official introduction video at 0.48 minute.

Thanks....I stand corrected.

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:30 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.72 #16 · p.72 #16 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

SoftImage wrote:
See this official introduction video at 0.48 minute.

Thanks Softimage that seems pretty definitive. LensRentals teardown shows the same two processor chips on the motherboard but they're not legibly labeled and Roger didn't know when asked. Wonder why Canon doesn't mention the Digic 6 in their specs? Thanks for posting this.

Jul 31, 2017 at 06:16 AM
Desbris

p.72 #17 · p.72 #17 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Review by CameraStoreTV :

It still backs-up what many have been saying already.

Aug 01, 2017 at 07:40 AM
bootster
• •
p.72 #18 · p.72 #18 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Just to be clear, so there's no false information spread around here. "We" have to set the record straight. The 1Dx series have three processors and the 5DMk IV has two, like "we've" been saying all along the 5D Mk IV has a DIGIC 6 and a DIGIC 6+ processor in it.

"We" just needed to make sure there was no "false news" being spread here.

No matter whether or not one individual isn't interested in how many processors is in a camera, others are, and we do need to start talking about other things, but it's up to the members to drive the narrative, not just one or two people.

Aug 01, 2017 at 01:13 PM
eye2i

p.72 #19 · p.72 #19 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Is there a banding issue with this sensor, similar to the 5D Mark III?

Aug 03, 2017 at 02:54 PM
bclaff_too

p.72 #20 · p.72 #20 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

eye2i wrote:
Is there a banding issue with this sensor, similar to the 5D Mark III?

In my testing for Fixed Pattern Noise (FPN, DSNU, PRNU, etc.) the 6D Mark II was pretty good, like the 6D.
The 5D Mark III had higher values.
Another issue, at least with the 5D Mark III I tested, was a wide variation in the Black Level which can lead to the appearance of "banding" as well as hue shifts in the deep shadows.

Aug 03, 2017 at 03:27 PM
       73       74       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

73       74       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password