1       2       3              58      
       60              73       74       end

Archive 2017 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.59 #1 · p.59 #1 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

garyvot wrote:
Interesting. So, you are suggesting that the 'Low' ISO setting on the 6D Mark II might actually provide a usable boost to dynamic range? Typically that has not been the case in the past, as whatever you gain in the shadows is lost in the highlights.

Seems like it will be worth evaluating though.

Yeah, I know ... history says one thing, but maybe they use some kind of algorithm in place for protecting the highlights while in that mode or the well is sized to accommodate it or
I'm the how / why. Based on the what I observed, it raises the question ... which doesn't necessarily provide the answer.

But, sometimes you just gotta ask the right question before you get to finding the right answer.

All I know is that that fugly purple junk didn't come along for the ride.

Jul 22, 2017 at 09:54 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.59 #2 · p.59 #2 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

RustyBug wrote:
From Imaging-Resource .CR2

Thank you Kent! I was not aware of these new comparison images. I just went over to check a few of them out comparing my current bodies (5dII & 70D) to the 6DII @ base ISO 100 and this now confirms what I thought I was seeing on the DPR comparisons. And just for the hell of it I also viewed comparisons to the 5DIV.

From what I'm seeing the 6DII spanks every single one of them including the 5DIV. Well, maybe it doesn't spank the 5DIV but it has noticeably better overall IQ and details. I was pleasantly shocked to see how much better it is over my 5DII.

I need to look into this new ISO 50 lift that appears you might have discovered. This might be huge!

I now see a few others over on DPR are finally seeing this superior IQ as well.

Breathing a very large sigh of relief now as I really didn't want to cancel my order and shell out more $$ for the 5DIV.
From what I'm now seeing, the 6DII will be plenty camera for my needs. I'll just have to bracket like I always have when I get into extreme territory.

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:10 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.59 #3 · p.59 #3 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Yeah, 5D2 > 6D2 ... I think you'll like the diff.

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:22 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.59 #4 · p.59 #4 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

lighthound wrote:
I now see a few others over on DPR are finally seeing this superior IQ as well.

Would you mind placing a link to where you are seeing this?

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:24 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.59 #5 · p.59 #5 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

pliukait wrote:
Would you mind placing a link to where you are seeing this?

Here is one of them that I had read. And I'm seeing this discussed in a few of the other DR bash fest threads as well.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4183714

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:40 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.59 #6 · p.59 #6 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Flowernut wrote:
I guess the whole exercise is teaching me that you can no longer preorder with the idea it will be an improved version. The 16-35III was my first disappointment with vignetting, the 24-104mm which while "improved" did not seem to warrant replacing version 1 and now the 6dii. I'm holding off unitl we get some more hands on production model reports. Gee I want the flip screen bad.

The 16-35 III is better than the II or original in resolution, especially peripherally. Are you using a 16-35 for PJ or something where the corners are not very important?

EBH

Jul 22, 2017 at 12:45 PM
-pekr-

p.59 #7 · p.59 #7 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

lighthound wrote:
From what I'm seeing the 6DII spanks every single one of them including the 5DIV.

Man, what are you talking about? The DPR thread posted comparison of 6DII to D750, claimed better details. But better details for what? An off-camera jpegs? What kind of tweak were performed in-camera, in post? What lens were used?

Have you downloaded 6DII and 5DIV RAWs to do a comparison? And how is that particular DPR original post related at all to DR?

Jul 22, 2017 at 01:13 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.59 #8 · p.59 #8 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

-pekr- wrote:
Man, what are you talking about? The DPR thread posted comparison of 6DII to D750, claimed better details. But better details for what? An off-camera jpegs? What kind of tweak were performed in-camera, in post? What lens were used?

Have you downloaded 6DII and 5DIV RAWs to do a comparison? And how is that particular DPR original post related at all to DR?

I suggest you slow down and read what I wrote.

And who said anything about DR? I think we have moved on to discuss what good things the 6DII brings to the table. Not dwell on what it doesn't for another week or more.

Jul 22, 2017 at 01:32 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.59 #9 · p.59 #9 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Stop. Stop! STOP! Is my english worse? Is it possible that I do not understand, what is going on here? After (maybe) 20 pages of "worse sensor ever" (or all Nikons the last decade where better) it changed now to be comparabel ggod as D5?

What is going on here?

Conny

Jul 22, 2017 at 01:56 PM

p.59 #10 · p.59 #10 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Ralph Conway wrote:
Stop. Stop! STOP! Is my english worse? Is it possible that I do not understand, what is going on here? After (maybe) 20 pages of "worse sensor ever" (or all Nikons the last decade where better) it changed now to be comparabel ggod as D5?

What is going on here?

Conny

It's a common behavior pattern in human psychology. If we can't remodel 6DII we have to reconcile/tolerate its shortcomings as of other cameras years before. Or switch-blah-blah-blah...

Jul 22, 2017 at 02:06 PM
bootster
• •
p.59 #11 · p.59 #11 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

The suspense is killing me. I can't wait for the first shipments to go out. Hopefully if I were a little late to get the first shipments from B&H, the ones who chickened out have put me to the front lines. I am literally counting down the days.

I have faith in Canon, and I know that this new 6D MkII will have everything I need, and then some. I was thinking about selling my 6D and keeping the 80D for my wife to call her own, but now I'm thinking about giving her the 6D and we'll share the 80D. The 6d is a keeper, and I'm going to find that she will enjoy taking pictures with it. She has expressed some confusion with the manual menu trying out the 6D, as we just sold her 70D, so she will have to get adjusted to the manual menu and screen. Somehow I think she'll like it due to the fabulous images the camera produces. If it's too much of a struggle, we can sell it, and she can go back to the 80D as her main camera. I just know I can't wait for the "full frame 80D".

I'll miss Magic Lantern if I sell the 6D, as the 80D still doesn't have an operable version, but hopefully Alex and the crew over there will get the code to work on the newer DIGIC cameras. Decisions, decisions.

Jul 22, 2017 at 02:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.59 #12 · p.59 #12 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Same file ... different approach this time via layers without using curves (obviously masked this time), but results are in the same ballpark.
BTW ... in case you're wondering, no NR has been applied, but a little USM and a few other tweaks were (lifted area only), dialing it in a bit differently than the first rendering (the non-discriminant levels hijacking).

I wanted to clone / heal some of the specular highlights (possibly misinterpreted as artifacts), but I left them as shot, since this is mostly an exercise in shadow lifting capability. YMMV

Jul 22, 2017 at 02:35 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.59 #13 · p.59 #13 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

In regards to posts about D5 IQ. It is true that if one is looking at low-ISO DR then the D5 is no better than the 6D2, nor is the 1DX. However, the D5 has something not seen in many other sensors (A7R2 is one that does also) and that is a noticeable 3/4-1 stop DR advantage at all higher ISOs from 2500 upwards which is arguably where a camera like the D5 is shot at more often. It also has some of the best high-ISO noise performance available.

Jul 22, 2017 at 02:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.59 #14 · p.59 #14 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

arbitrage wrote:
In regards to posts about D5 IQ. It is true that if one is looking at low-ISO DR then the D5 is no better than the 6D2, nor is the 1DX. However, the D5 has something not seen in many other sensors (A7R2 is one that does also) and that is a noticeable 3/4-1 stop DR advantage at all higher ISOs from 2500 upwards which is arguably where a camera like the D5 is shot at more often. It also has some of the best high-ISO noise performance available.

I was looking mostly at the (seemingly equitable) straight ISO 6400 for 6D2 vs. D5 (pg. 54) ... and noting that it didn't push worth a hoot either. To the point that if you are light challenged ... your better approach may be to simply shoot the ISO needed, rather than to rely on pushing the DR.

Jul 22, 2017 at 03:05 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.59 #15 · p.59 #15 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

I wouldn't rely too much on the IR raws because they don't match physical exposures between cameras.

Jul 22, 2017 at 03:17 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.59 #16 · p.59 #16 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

snapsy wrote:
I wouldn't rely too much on the IR raws because they don't match physical exposures between cameras.

I'm not following ... can you clarify?

Are you saying they do / don't / should use different EV illumination levels depending on the camera being used?

Jul 22, 2017 at 03:19 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.59 #17 · p.59 #17 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

RustyBug wrote:
I'm not following ... can you clarify?

Are you saying they do / don't / should use different EV illumination levels depending on the camera being used?

If you want to compare noise levels between different sensors then each must use the same external light levels and physical exposures. And then you also must equalize lens transmission and aperture size rounding.

Jul 22, 2017 at 04:55 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.59 #18 · p.59 #18 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Well, iiuc I-R uses (or used to iirc) the same lenses (Sigma @ diff mounts) so they can keep the T-stop and aperture equal. And if the studio lighting is consistent ... why do you suggest that their RAW's aren't viable for consideration?

Am I missing something, here?

Also, I'm mostly interested in learning what the 6D2 CAN do. Personally, it doesn't matter if another camera has the ability to glow in the dark because it is made of Uranium. The primary matter at hand for me (at this juncture) is to understand the limits and capabilities of the 6D2. Not to whine if it isn't the best of the best of the best of the best or to cry foul if it is off by 1/3 of an EV in testing.

Of course, if I'm making a grossly fundamental error or lack of understanding, then certainly I want a good from the collective brain trust to get me back on track.

Edited on Jul 22, 2017 at 05:34 PM · View previous versions

Jul 22, 2017 at 05:32 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.59 #19 · p.59 #19 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

RustyBug wrote:
I was looking mostly at the (seemingly equitable) straight ISO 6400 for 6D2 vs. D5 (pg. 54) ... and noting that it didn't push worth a hoot either. To the point that if you are light challenged ... your better approach may be to simply shoot the ISO needed, rather than to rely on pushing the DR.

Both 6D2 and D5 are very much not ISO-Invarient. Shooting them at the correct ISO in camera is critical to obtaining the best possible image.

On this graph if the line is horizontal like D7200 the camera is invariant. We can see that 6D2 and D5 are better from ISO 2500 onwards and up there you can underexpose with little penalty. The 5D4 is much better especially after ISO 320.

Jul 22, 2017 at 05:34 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.59 #20 · p.59 #20 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

EB-1 wrote:
I could say that almost everyone uses the RGB histogram and sets exposure according to the brightest channel, but I would be wrong.

EBH

You would be wrong.

Jul 22, 2017 at 05:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.