FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              73       74       end

Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

I'm currently debating 5DSR (for resolution) vs 5DIV (for DR). If the 6DII matches the 5DIV dynamic range, then it'll be 5DSR vs. 6DII, as 26 MP vs. 30 Mp is pretty much a push.

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:45 PM
Rusty1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

jcolwell wrote:
I'm currently debating 5DSR (for resolution) vs 5DIV (for DR). If the 6DII matches the 5DIV dynamic range, then it'll be 5DSR vs. 6DII, as 26 MP vs. 30 Mp is pretty much a push.

The sensor is the big 6d2 question for me. How will noise and ISO compare to 5D4 sensor.

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:57 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

The new 6DII complicates my gear acquisition decision making process and it deepens the dilemma, i.e.,:

(1) Do I refrain from purchasing a new Canon camera until 2019 ?

OR....

(2) Do I forget about buying any new Canon camera ever again ?

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

jcolwell wrote:

Rusty1 wrote:
The sensor is the big 6d2 question for me. How will noise and ISO compare to 5D4 sensor.

Hoperfully, it'll match or exceed the 5DIV for both DR and noise (both vs. ISO). You know, preserve the 5dII vs. 6D balance, for the 5DIV vs. 6DII. I'm quite happy with the 6D centre-point AF, for the stuff I usually shoot with a 6D.

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

PetKal wrote:
The new 6DII complicates my gear acquisition decision making process and it deepens the dilemma, i.e.,:

OR....

You could buy a SL2, just to keep you busy while you're thinking about it.

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:03 PM
dakel
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

This camera release continues Canon's philosophy of solid but not groundbreaking upgrades. They had an amazing opportunity to appeal to parent photographers like me who want to be able to capture great quality video and take great quality photos. No 4K video in 2017 when it's become standard on Sony FF cameras is a let down for me. They had an amazing opportunity to appeal to Youtube Vloggers (aka Social Influencers) with DPAF if only they added usable 4K. This could have extended the user base of this camera significantly. Silly Canon.

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:33 PM
technic
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

matthewm wrote:
On the 4K front... I'll probably be shot for saying so, but 4K video isn't practical for most users. Most people aren't editing on 4K screens so can't even see the resolution properly. Most people don't even have the equipment to properly handle the large files produced by 4K DSLRs. And most end-users are viewing footage from 4K cameras on laptops, smartphones and tablets. Not 4K televisions. Content viewed on a large television screen is typically more cinematic (BluRay, streamed 4K content, etc.). A lot of 4K shooters I know downres their 4K to 1080 and use the extra "size"
...Show more

Agree that stable, high quality and fully functioning 1080/60 is often to be preferred over crippled 4K with all its potential problems and limitations. However, the 6D2 doesn't have high quality 1080/60 from what I'm reading. It has very basic video that in some ways lags behind many current compacts and smartphones ... .

Also, 4K technology can have other advantages like the '4K Photo Mode' providing a short series of 30 frame/sec 8 MP images (some Panasonic cameras) or the use of a 'pre-capture buffer' (some Olympus cameras), both of which can be interesting for nature photographers (probably one of the target groups of the 6D2). These would only work in Liveview mode, but with cameras like the 80D and 6D2, working in Liveview mode is now a good option and sometimes the surest way to get the picture.

But I understand that Canon wants people who could use these tools to buy the 5D4 or 1DX2 now, or upgrade to a 6D3 in a few years ;-)

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:41 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

PetKal wrote:

I've made a conscious decision to get off the heatseeker bandwagon and just use what I have to its limit.

It's really refreshing to see loads of new gear come out and not crave anything

I don't crave the 6D2

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:53 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

PetKal wrote:

OR....

I agree with your dilemma....2017 will continue to see me divest more of my Canon gears and none shall be added in the foreseeable future.....possibly never....which is sort of sad

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

dakel wrote:
This camera release continues Canon's philosophy of solid but not groundbreaking upgrades. They had an amazing opportunity to appeal to parent photographers like me who want to be able to capture great quality video and take great quality photos. No 4K video in 2017 when it's become standard on Sony FF cameras is a let down for me. They had an amazing opportunity to appeal to Youtube Vloggers (aka Social Influencers) with DPAF if only they added usable 4K. This could have extended the user base of this camera significantly. Silly Canon.

I agree, pretty silly that theres no 4K, but then again, the camera follows Canons policy of incremental updates. Nice solid camera offering. Can't really argue with their strategy, the market sucks and they appear to be weathering the storm better than anyone else. Flip screen is a huge plus to me.

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

curious80
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

For those who find the upgrade underwhelming, are there any specific upgrades you were looking for which did not happen?

The two major upgrades in DSLRs tend to be on the sensor and AF side. The move to 45-point all-cross AF is certainly a significant upgrade removing the only major limitation of the original 6D and elevating it close to the Nikon D750 level which has been a very popular body. While sensor performance is yet unknown, based on recent Canon sensors, it would be fair to expect a fairly good upgrade in sensor performance as well. Then there are other goodies like upgraded metering system, good touch screen etc.

On video side, the dual pixel AF is a much more practical upgrade than 4K which sounds impressive on paper but has limited actual used for most users of a camera like 6D.

All in all the upgrades bring the 6D line to a point where it should serve the needs of most of the FF users very very well unless you have very specific professional needs like a 1DxII class AF or 5DRs class resolution, or you are a serious filmmaker who needs professional video options.

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:10 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

matthewm wrote:
Figured someone would chime in pretty quickly about the lack of a second card slot and 4K video... I can agree with the card slot thing. Probably would have been a good idea to slap another slot in there, even at a slower rate for dual-recording RAW + JPEG or whatever.

On the 4K front... I'll probably be shot for saying so, but 4K video isn't practical for most users. Most people aren't editing on 4K screens so can't even see the resolution properly. Most people don't even have the equipment to properly handle the large files produced by 4K
...Show more

it's funny people say no 4k.... But canon has 4k dslr full framers., why dont you buy those.

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:23 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

dusa wrote:
The price in Holland is 2130,-

Spam emails hit my gmail this afternoon. 2000 uk price, 20k NOK norwegian. Which oddly makes it 140 cheaper in Norway.

A bit pricey for me still, but hopefully the price will slip a bit in the autumn.

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:30 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

15Bit wrote:
Spam emails hit my gmail this afternoon. 2000 uk price, 20k NOK norwegian. Which oddly makes it 140 cheaper in Norway.

A bit pricey for me still, but hopefully the price will slip a bit in the autumn.

That will be the weakness of the pound, gear is VERY expensive here now

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:32 PM
dakel
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

bushwacker wrote:
it's funny people say no 4k.... But canon has 4k dslr full framers., why dont you buy those.

1. Because the file format creates a long winded, more time consuming workflow
2. No fully articulated screen
3. Much more expensive

Why would I like 4K? Because it gives me the ability to crop in during post. Also, when I go back 15 years and look at my digital photos of my son as a baby, the photos are really low in resolution and dynamic range. I wonder if in another 15 years, 1080p video will look similar....

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

dhphoto wrote:
That will be the weakness of the pound, gear is VERY expensive here now

Tell me about it.

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:37 PM
Red Marx

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

arbitrage wrote:
I agree with your dilemma....2017 will continue to see me divest more of my Canon gears and none shall be added in the foreseeable future.....possibly never....which is sort of sad

Going to the dark side or to Sony?
Regarding Nikon with all these groundbreaking electronic apertures, newfangled Fluorite elements, PF elements, and rumored internal 1.4x extenders, I'm not sure that those won't be leap-frogged in the not too distant future.
If going to the A9, A99 II, or the like with the GM lenses. . . I can understand completely.
It is disappointing that Canon isn't pushing harder to compete in the lens race on any criterion other than price.

I'll miss your posts and your pet Bald Eagles.

Edited on Jun 30, 2017 at 01:39 AM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:43 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

dakel wrote:
Why would I like 4K? Because it gives me the ability to crop in during post. Also, when I go back 15 years and look at my digital photos of my son as a baby, the photos are really low in resolution and dynamic range. I wonder if in another 15 years, 1080p video will look similar....

I agree that 4K has its uses. But a well shot and processed 1080p video file will hold fine...
We have very old movies that do show their "age" resolution wise, but remain masterpieces and are thoroughly enjoyable even on really big 4K screens.

--

Overall I like it. Not really happy about the AF layout being carried over from the 80D directly, but beats the 6Dc anyday I guess...And I was not unhappy with the 6Dc, but you can always ask for more

I went with a used 5DSR after my 6Dc now...perhaps getting a refurb 6DII is in the cards in a couple of years if I get fed up with the yuge files

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:46 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Oh please, not the 6Dc already, it's just a 6D

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:53 PM
Red Marx

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

6DC, that's the original 6D which has 4K and the giant heatsink, right? ;-)

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:56 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password