FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              73       74       end

Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

$1999 ($2599 CDN) for the 6DII and $2399 ($2999 CDN) for a new 5DIII, is the 5DIII going to suffer in sales?

For the extra $400 I might go with the 5DIII....then again, I might not.

Jun 29, 2017 at 01:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

UHS-I only. I don't like the new trend of the remote angled towards the L bracket either.
It should be quite popular and does most of what the 5D4 does at a lower cost.

EBH

Jun 29, 2017 at 01:02 PM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Looks a good solid upgrade. A bargain compared to the 5DIV, but from my perspective and as an owner of a 5DIV, I don't feel too bad as the AF points are not as useful in the 6DII versus the IV. I loved my 6D, and if I hadn't got the 5DIV, I could have saved myself $1500 by getting this. The lack of 2 card slots and no 4K video will be inconsequential to the audience for this camera. As far as I am concerned, they could remove all the video features from the 5DIV, as I never use them. In fact, I wish I could have bought a stills-only 5DIV for $1000 less.

Jun 29, 2017 at 01:45 PM
EvilZardoz
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

I just flipped my last 5D3. I'm now nervously looking at my 1DX for secondhand value, wondering if it's time to flip that as well...

I'm really keen to see how the AF system compares to the 5D IV and the 1DX II, especially for low light and speed. They also say "improved live view AF tracking" - improved vs. what?

AF sensitivity looks like -3EV, except only EV -2 at f/5.6? Hmm.

Keen to see how the high ISO compares to the 5D IV.

Built in Wi-Fi is another slap in the face for the stupidly high cost of the WFT add-on for a 1-series.

As for 4K, this is going to be a major setback for a lot of new purchasers. While we may not be editing or viewing 4K today, we are capturing memories not just for today, but for tomorrow. I'm very glad I had the 16.7 megapixels of the 1Ds Mark II in 2004, even though nobody could view an image that large on their display. Tell you what, though - the amount of space taken up by 4K60 is a challenge!

Jun 29, 2017 at 01:51 PM
BennyR
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

So far I haven't seen any details on the sensor. I suppose that will be coming soon. Are the AD converters on the sensor similar to the 80D and the 5D4 thus providing better dynamic range? I'm guessing it would be of that design. Looks pretty good. I wish they spread out the focus points more however.

Jun 29, 2017 at 01:56 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

milkod2001 wrote:
6Dmk2 is nearly matching Nikon D750 specs, only another card slot is missing. I have expected much more crippled body.Good for you Canon users.

Unfortunately it seems to still have only one card slot, a lower coverage viewfinder, no built in flash, worse AF (though much better than before), no headphone jack, and to top it all off it costs more than the D750. Though it does have some advantages, like what looks like a larger RAW buffer if shooting both in 14 bit uncompressed mode, slightly more resolution, the touch screen, dual pixel AF, and a larger native ISO range (hopefully corresponding good ISO quality).

If we could only combine the 6DII with the D750 we'd get a great camera - currently videographers are stuck sacrificing either AF performance or audio monitoring, whereas still shooters can get a longer buffer albeit at the expense of AF performance or vice versa. Ah well, keeps the choices interesting.

Hopefully the 6DII does get some price cuts soon though - unless the D750 goes back up to MRSP the 6DII will have some difficulty competing with it. Or perhaps the 6DII has a trick up its sleeve like unprecedented high ISO performance, time will tell.

Jun 29, 2017 at 01:58 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

I've been seriously looking at a used 5D3 , and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between the new 6D2 and the 5D3 other than a few less MP for the 5D3. Plus the 5D3 still has the 2 slots for memory doesn't it?

Jun 29, 2017 at 01:58 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

eye2i wrote:
Farewell, used 5D Mark III market. Glad I hold on from purchasing that tank.

I can't imagine why.

Yes the 6DII looks a nice camera but it lacks some pro features and some build quality. It doesn't stop the 5DIII from being the exceptional dslr it has always been

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:33 PM
artsf
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Pretty massive upgrade for Canon. I expect 6dii to become a massive hit for stills. Overall, it's probably th best FF value on the market. Batter life has been improved quite a bit (1200 shots) thanks to the new DIGIC 7 processor. I am puzzled with the added articulating screen while the video being very crippled: low bitrate high compression 1080p codec - only 60mbps vs 180 mbps on 5div and no 120p option for slo mo. This is a stepdown from even 6d which offered ALL-I option for edting. Basically, Canon is making a bold statement - do not buy 6dii for any kind of video - get 5div instead. This is a shame because DPAF truly shines in video and it is was reasonable to assume that while 6dii would not offer 4k, it would provide quality 1080p option (hence articulating screen).

Edited on Jun 29, 2017 at 03:24 PM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:38 PM
howard
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

I think the SL2 looks more interesting than the 6D II. For this kind of price (for the 6D II), I'd just add a little more to get the Sony A7r2. The SL2, on the other hand, looks like a good travel cam and backup.

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

bushwacker wrote:
this new 6d2 does it have field replaceable focusing screen?

No, it doesn´t. That is not possible with this electronic overlay viewfinder. This is the cause why 5d3 and 5D4 doent have it neither and 6D does have it. I shot an event with a 5D3 10 days ago and still did not like the disadvantage in AF confirmation.

Conny

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:44 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

lighthound wrote:
It's about time. They couldn't take my money fast enough. Order was just placed.

This is going to be a great upgrade from my 70D and 5D Mark II. The 6D Mark II has everything I was looking for and then some. Happy happy happy

Dave

You will miss the joystick, imo.

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:51 PM
level1photog
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

If I didn't shoot weddings, I would buy this one as my primary camera. I don't do video so the features on my 5D IV is useless to me. It has a good feature sets that's good enough for most people and including professionals who do everything except weddings.

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:54 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

buthurt wrote:
I hope Nikon will follow up with a D620/650. D610, which is based on the 5-year-old D600, is 4 years old.

And the D600 is largely based on the D7000 lay out......

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:23 PM
mb126
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Looks like a damn good camera. Really wish the 5D4 had a floppy screen now.

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:27 PM
Clicky94

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Ralph Conway wrote:
No, it doesn´t. That is not possible with this electronic overlay viewfinder. This is the cause why 5d3 and 5D4 doent have it neither and 6D does have it.
Conny

Is the transmissive LCD overlay in the viewfinder something different to the one in 7D Mk ii because that has interchangeable focus screen ?

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:27 PM
mb126
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

-Big IQ upgrade
-Slight FPS upgrade
-DPAF
-Wifi
-Flippy screen
-Smaller

Not surprisingly, the 6d2 is to the 5D3 exactly as the 6D was to the 5D2. A better camera in almost every way. If you need the better build or dual slots they want you to buy a 5D4.

Well played Canon.

Bsmooth wrote:
I've been seriously looking at a used 5D3 , and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between the new 6D2 and the 5D3 other than a few less MP for the 5D3. Plus the 5D3 still has the 2 slots for memory doesn't it?

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:31 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

It probably won't be a BIG IQ upgrade. Possibly at very high ISO, that's all.

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:34 PM
Scoobert

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

I was more disappointed by the 1/4000 shutter limit and the 1/180 flash sync.

1 card slot I expected since its a 6D. But I was hoping when the 80D went to 1/8000 that 6Dii would follow suit.

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:34 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Well, this complicates my decision making process.

I was seriously looking at the Fuji X-T2 with the 18-55 kit lens as a travel camera as an adjunct to my 5D2 and lenses.

I wanted something smaller and more lightweight. The X-T2 and lens comes in at ~$2,000. For the third of that, I could get the Rebel and use my 17-40 f4, which wouldn't be that far away from the 18-55 f2.8-4.0. Of course I'd lose IS.

For the same $2,000, I could upgrade from my 5D2 to the 6D 2 and just take my 24-70 f4.0 IS, which is what I used 80% of the time on my last trip to Europe.

Although the 4k video of the Fuji looks great, I don't normally shoot video. The Fuji is fascinating and I'm renting one later in July when we go on vacation. It's different in a lot of ways and I can't wait to try my Leica lenses on it, but from a purely practical POV, sticking with Canon and just adapting my travel habits seems the best option now. BTW, when I started down the road of a travel camera, I was looking at the Leica M10!

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:45 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password