FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              73       74       end

Archive 2017 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

technic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

alundeb wrote:
For me, a camera doesn't have to be 'special', but making it 'right' is what matters.
Canon have made the 6D II 'right' to me in a few ways:

- Articulating screen.
- More than one useful AF point.
- Up to date sensor technology (anticipated higher dynamic range at low ISO).
- Nice bump in resolution from 20 to 26 MP
- 6.5 fps frame rate

All of these fetaures make the 6D II a camera that I could be satisfied with, while the 6D was a compromise only to get FF at low cost. Now it is more interesting than a 5D IV for the
...Show more

If only it had 45 MP or so with a high resolution crop mode, then it could completely replace the 80D in a very similar package. But I guess Canon prefers us to buy an extra camera for when one is focal length limited ;-)

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:59 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

technic wrote:
If only it had 45 MP or so with a high resolution crop mode, then it could completely replace the 80D in a very similar package. But I guess Canon prefers us to buy an extra camera for when one is focal length limited ;-)

That will be the 5D S mk II, if it gets an articulated screen

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:08 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

alundeb wrote:

It almost certainly will IMHO

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:13 AM
wallpapervikin

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Had a quick chance to play with one when in my local camera store today..

Was in there picking up a Fuji GFX, after having sold my Sony A7RII...

The one feature that the 6DII seems to have that is omitted from the Canon 5DIV is "crop lines" in the OVF for 1:1 and 4:3 aspect ratios.

These are just lines as far as I could tell with the short amount of time I had (there is no 50% opaque shading in the unused areas) but I believe the 5DIV only does this feature in live view..

This could be very useful to people who "see" in aspect ratios other than the standard 3:2.. Still, not nearly as useful as "blacking out" the unwanted areas

It is one of the main reasons I went for the Fuji GFX, it offers an amazing amount of different "aspect ratios" and is displayed in the EVF (and the reason I ditched the Sony).

If there is some way to make the unused areas "shaded", then I would pick one of these up... The Nikon D810 has this when shooting in 5:4 mode and you have to randomly assign it in the menu (turning off "focus point confirmation") to enable the shaded areas...

Fingers crossed that Canon has done something similar

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:19 AM
Isaacheus
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

How quickly do the in depth reviews typically take? With measurements on sensor scores etc?

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:31 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

this new 6d2 does it have field replaceable focusing screen?

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:46 AM
technic
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

alundeb wrote:

Not really, the 5DS is a much bigger and heavier camera.

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:26 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

It's about time. They couldn't take my money fast enough. Order was just placed.

This is going to be a great upgrade from my 70D and 5D Mark II. The 6D Mark II has everything I was looking for and then some. Happy happy happy

Dave

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:36 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

technic wrote:
Not really, the 5DS is a much bigger and heavier camera.

Yeah, I almost forgot.

The extra 6 mm height and 8 mm width means that the 5DS doesn't fit in any of the camera bags or backpacks I use for the 6D. Nor does it fit in my pocket pants that are just large enough to hold a 6D with a 40 mm pancake.

And the extra 165 g weight means that I will not be able to carry the 50 mm STM as a supplementary lens to the standard zoom kit 16-35, 24-70 2.8 L II and 100-400 L IS II.

/sarcasm

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:47 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

JaimitoFrog wrote:
4k time lapse is neat. why not just let it do 4k video too?

Well one is measured in fps, the other is measured in seconds or minutes per frame

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:49 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

bushwacker wrote:
this new 6d2 does it have field replaceable focusing screen?

Doesn't look like it. I went through the specs on Canon's website and whilst the mention other viewfinder accessories like there is no mention of alternative focus screens. I would also like this, but i think they are moving away from it now. I'm sure they have good reason for it - the need to calibrate the screens more accurately for higher res sensors, low demand now that live view with focus peeking does a better job, the clever electronic VF overlays etc.

Still, i would be happy to pay a bit extra to get a body from the factory pre-fitted with an S-screen.

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:56 AM

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Finally the decent FPS and # of AF points even so far down the product range; I felt the 6D (and the 5D Mark II) were artificially crippled to... way below the threshold of acceptability for me. I don't doubt that those were good cameras for those who were aware of the caveats, it's just that I would not buy either of those if I had the slightest choice.

The 6D Mark II, on the other hand, looks like it wasn't gelded too much, and the articulating touchscreen is great - I loved the one on 650D. Though if I will be shopping for a second camera, I would probably still prefer the 80D... which essentially looks the same minus the larger sensor.

Jun 29, 2017 at 06:18 AM
technic
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

alundeb wrote:
Yeah, I almost forgot.

The extra 6 mm height and 8 mm width means that the 5DS doesn't fit in any of the camera bags or backpacks I use for the 6D. Nor does it fit in my pocket pants that are just large enough to hold a 6D with a 40 mm pancake.

And the extra 165 g weight means that I will not be able to carry the 50 mm STM as a supplementary lens to the standard zoom kit 16-35, 24-70 2.8 L II and 100-400 L IS II.

/sarcasm

For those who use such a 'standard zoom kit' it will probably not matter, but if you use the camera with a more modest lens e.g. for walkaround the size/weight difference is significant. I haven't used a 5Ds personally, but I know that the 1DX series is way too heavy for my taste, just like on APS-C I don't like the additional weight of the 7D series and consider the 80D borderline acceptable (depending on the lenses that are used, of course). YMMV :-)

Jun 29, 2017 at 06:36 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

technic wrote:
For those who use such a 'standard zoom kit' it will probably not matter, but if you use the camera with a more modest lens e.g. for walkaround the size/weight difference is significant. I haven't used a 5Ds personally, but I know that the 1DX series is way too heavy for my taste, just like on APS-C I don't like the additional weight of the 7D series and consider the 80D borderline acceptable (depending on the lenses that are used, of course). YMMV :-)

I am all in for lower weight especially, don't get me wrong. Technically, higher resolution in the same body weight with the same frame rate is not a free lunch, however. Smaller pixels require a better mirror damping to get mirror slap below an acceptable limit when the image is magnified or cropped to make use of the higher pixel density. There are different means to get there: Smaller mirror (crop body), slower frame rate, or heavier body (both stronger mirror motor and higher intrinsic damping).

Jun 29, 2017 at 06:47 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

NO multi toggle, I would guess you will be able to move points.on the touch screen

Jun 29, 2017 at 06:53 AM
Lucima_01
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Farewell, used 5D Mark III market. Glad I hold on from purchasing that tank.

Jun 29, 2017 at 07:18 AM
tonychen
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

6D2 looks good. The only weak points I see from the specs are:
1 No 4K
2 AF coverage area is too small

Jun 29, 2017 at 07:26 AM
drewmey
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

milkod2001 wrote:
6Dmk2 is nearly matching Nikon D750 specs

And it only took them almost (3) years. It is pretty clearly crippled to me.

It'll be a great body though. We are getting to a point where pretty much all equipment is great. It is a good time to be in in my opinion.

Jun 29, 2017 at 07:34 AM
Red Marx

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

I've been poring over the specifications on Canon USA and others, but haven't seen any mention of the motor-driven mirror. I hope it is incorporated in the 6D Mark II.

Jun 29, 2017 at 07:40 AM
matthewm
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Official: Canon Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

Figured someone would chime in pretty quickly about the lack of a second card slot and 4K video... I can agree with the card slot thing. Probably would have been a good idea to slap another slot in there, even at a slower rate for dual-recording RAW + JPEG or whatever.

On the 4K front... I'll probably be shot for saying so, but 4K video isn't practical for most users. Most people aren't editing on 4K screens so can't even see the resolution properly. Most people don't even have the equipment to properly handle the large files produced by 4K DSLRs. And most end-users are viewing footage from 4K cameras on laptops, smartphones and tablets. Not 4K televisions. Content viewed on a large television screen is typically more cinematic (BluRay, streamed 4K content, etc.). A lot of 4K shooters I know downres their 4K to 1080 and use the extra "size" for cropping. I will admit that 4K sampled to 1080 is typically sharper than 1080 at 1080. But again, at small screen sizes, nobody is noticing.

And if you're shooting 4K for "cinematic" purposes (i.e. you're a big shot in Hollywood or whatever), you're probably not shooting with a Canon 6DII. You'll be using a RED camera or some other system that is more geared towards high-end cinematic shooting. Not that the 6DII couldn't handle it, but I doubt you'd walk on the set of Transformers and see them shooting with a bunch of Canon DSLRs.

I'd rather have REALLY stable, high quality, fully functioning 1080/60 that can run for 30 minutes than 4K/30 that can only run for 3 minutes because the camera overheats. Also... Working with 4K is a PITA. So I don't see that as a big deal.

The pros in this camera far outweigh the cons, in my opinion.

Jun 29, 2017 at 07:42 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.