Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/the-d7500-blog/

Jun 28, 2017 at 08:27 PM
morrismike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

I believe you can manually assign the focal length and aperture for your lens and everything is A OK. I have a Ziess 35mm f/2 ZF2 Distagon and doing this takes care of it on my D500.

Jun 28, 2017 at 08:37 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

morrismike wrote:
I believe you can manually assign the focal length and aperture for your lens and everything is A OK. I have a Ziess 35mm f/2 ZF2 Distagon and doing this takes care of it on my D500.

The D7500 doesn't have a provision for it.

As Thom mentions, Live View can be a solution though. Still, I have to believe that the majority of D7500 users are not putting 30 year old glass on their bodies.

Jun 28, 2017 at 09:07 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

Steve Perry wrote:
. Still, I have to believe that the majority of D7500 users are not putting 30 year old glass on their bodies.

At least not more than once.

Jun 28, 2017 at 09:54 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

It was in the specs, so I don't quite understand what this is about.
It's a feature.

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:17 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

Chris Dees wrote:
It was in the specs, so I don't quite understand what this is about.
It's a feature.

This. Been the talk of the town ever since the spec sheet was online. Not everyone liked it, big ruckus, followed by silence, followed by OP.

For those who do want to mount 30+ year old lenses, the only thing to do is let Nikon keep their stock of D7500's. For those who don't care, I bet it's a nice camera. I'm in the camp of letting Nikon keep their D7500's.

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:40 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

the solitaire wrote:
This. Been the talk of the town ever since the spec sheet was online. Not everyone liked it, big ruckus, followed by silence, followed by OP.

For those who do want to mount 30+ year old lenses, the only thing to do is let Nikon keep their stock of D7500's. For those who don't care, I bet it's a nice camera. I'm in the camp of letting Nikon keep their D7500's.

It really is a nice camera - I've been shooting with mine since it came out, and it's probably the most underrated Nikon on the market right now.

Jun 29, 2017 at 08:33 AM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

I tried a friend's the other morning. Nikon has stepped up its game in the entry-level DX segment. 7 fps, pretty good AF, none of that shitty D7xxx series crippled body feel. Pro quality action photography has never been so accessible. I was impressed!

Jun 29, 2017 at 09:10 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

This is well known to anyone before buying - why the separate thread on it? Also as I've said before, the number of people looking at the D7500 to use with their legacy AI lenses has got to be almost zero. It continues to surprise me how many people are hung up on AI support and 1 card slot while overlooking the performance bargain that is the D7500.

Jun 29, 2017 at 09:16 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

Christian H wrote:
I tried a friend's the other morning. Nikon has stepped up its game in the entry-level DX segment. 7 fps, pretty good AF, none of that shitty D7xxx series crippled body feel. Pro quality action photography has never been so accessible. I was impressed!

If you shoot action, it's a big step up from the older D7x00 bodies, but at a cost that would just about net you a used D500. It's a marginal improvement for low-light shooters over the D7200 as well from the 20MP sensors better low-light performance.

If you shoot anything else (landscape/street/portrait/etc), it's a step down from the D7200. Less resolution, less low ISO IQ, no more dual card slots, no AI tab for the few who use those lenses.

I just can't see any use case where I wouldn't be better off buying a used or refurb D500 over the D7500, or conversely buying a cheaper D7200 over the D7500. I just do not see the value proposition on this body, in a lot of ways it's the most crippled 7x00 series body, more akin to a fast D90 with a new sensor than the newer 7x00's.

Jul 10, 2017 at 07:59 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

CanadaMark wrote:
This is well known to anyone before buying - why the separate thread on it? Also as I've said before, the number of people looking at the D7500 to use with their legacy AI lenses has got to be almost zero. It continues to surprise me how many people are hung up on AI support and 1 card slot while overlooking the performance bargain that is the D7500.

Actually, I'd have to disagree on that. The 7x00 bodies are the one spot in the DX line where the MF users will congregate, as that is the point where cost-sensitive shooters are going to end up. Particularly since lenses like the 55/3.5 and various fast 50's are so versatile on DX. I personally still shoot MF on DX for exactly that reason. They aren't do-everything lenses, but you can get a lot of IQ for not too much money if you don't need AF.

As to the card slots, there's any number of reasons to want them, from overflow to backups. I just don't see any reason to lose one of the few honest pro-level features in the D7x00 line without also seeing a commensurate price cut. Given the cost-cutting on the D7500 body, it should have come in at a marginally lower price than the generally better featured D7200.

Note it's not just an AI tab and dual card slots. There's no DoF Preview function (nope, can't be assigned to the Fn1 button that replaced it, or anywhere else), the LCD is lower quality (922k vs 1.2M, with the missing dots being luminance, same resolution), it loses NFC support, battery life is down around 15%, there's no vertical grip support, etc. This is somewhere in between the D5x00 and D7x00 lines, it's no more a replacement for the D7200 than the D750 was for the D700.

Jul 10, 2017 at 08:06 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

CanadaMark wrote:
Also as I've said before, the number of people looking at the D7500 to use with their legacy AI lenses has got to be almost zero.

Exactly. Why doesn't everyone bitch at Canon, who HAS NEVER made a DSLR that is compatible with their old lenses.

At least Nikon has provided access for everyone to its elder lenses for all these years. (And, in a way, I am sure it has hurt Nikon's sales over the years.)

It is clear that Nikon is targeting "newer" shooters ... and is corralling them to buy newer lenses. Wouldn't surprise me if Nikon slowly takes away AI-S compatibility altogether ... seeing as they're coming out with all new E lenses.

CanadaMark wrote:
It continues to surprise me how many people are hung up on AI support and 1 card slot while overlooking the performance bargain that is the D7500.

Because people like to bitch and moan rather than appreciate.

Jul 10, 2017 at 08:50 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

Just thinking about the D7500's place in the food chain fills me with pity.

Jul 10, 2017 at 09:11 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

rico wrote:
Just thinking about the D7500's place in the food chain fills me with pity.

Despite my comments above, I think the D7500 is overall an excellent camera.

I just think it should be a $999 body and not pitched as a D7200 replacement (as it can't replace a D7200, nor can a D7200 replace a D7500). At $999 the loss of features would be justifiable, and there would be a clear value benefit over a used D500.

Remember, this is the first body at this level to not support a grip since the D70s, the first to not have DoF preview since the D70s, the first to lack twin card slots & an AI tab since the D90, the first to lose Wifi capabilities over its predecessor, etc.

Jul 11, 2017 at 08:22 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

JohnK007 wrote:
Exactly. Why doesn't everyone bitch at Canon, who HAS NEVER made a DSLR that is compatible with their old lenses.

At least Nikon has provided access for everyone to its elder lenses for all these years. (And, in a way, I am sure it has hurt Nikon's sales over the years.)

That argument is getting a bit stale. You can use *any* Canon EF lens on *any* Canon EOS body made in the last 30 years, with no limitations.

Nikon's G and E lenses have limited or no compatibility with camera bodies more than 15-20 years old, and many newer bodies have very limited compatibility with older lenses.

Jul 11, 2017 at 09:30 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

molson wrote:
That argument is getting a bit stale. You can use *any* Canon EF lens on *any* Canon EOS body made in the last 30 years, with no limitations.

Nikon's G and E lenses have limited or no compatibility with camera bodies more than 15-20 years old, and many newer bodies have very limited compatibility with older lenses.

E lenses have zero compatibility on anything more than 10 years old (the oldest bodies that support them are the D3 and D300, and no consumer body prior to the D7000/D5100/D3100 supports them). The PC-E lenses are the sole exception as they have a stop-down button.

G lenses are decidedly better, with full compatibility to any body introduced from 96 onwards, and limited compatibility with bodies back to 1983 (the FA can use them in P & S modes)

Jul 11, 2017 at 09:55 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

mawz wrote:
Despite my comments above, I think the D7500 is overall an excellent camera.

I just think it should be a $999 body and not pitched as a D7200 replacement (as it can't replace a D7200, nor can a D7200 replace a D7500). At $999 the loss of features would be justifiable, and there would be a clear value benefit over a used D500.

Remember, this is the first body at this level to not support a grip since the D70s, the first to not have DoF preview since the D70s, the first to lack twin card slots & an AI tab since
...Show more

Kinda with you on this. Having a hard time seeing where this camera is of any value. Stand alone, I am sure it is fine. But barely cheaper than used or refurb D500s, and removing features from D7200 would suggest to me that many buyers will go either direction and leave the D7500 behind.

Pure speculation of course, maybe they are selling a bunch to first time buyers at Best Buy or something. But for people well versed in the Nikon ecosystem, this camera doesn't appear to have a logical place.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:21 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

molson wrote:

To be fair, EF-S lenses can have issues on FF cameras.

Then again, you can use the new 70-300 Nikon P lens just announced on this but not on many quite recent cameras??

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:41 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

notherenow wrote:
To be fair, EF-S lenses can have issues on FF cameras.

Then again, you can use the new 70-300 Nikon P lens just announced on this but not on many quite recent cameras??

In fact there's one current body (D610) that doesn't support the P lenses.

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:39 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D7500 sucks with legacy, MF lenses

molson wrote:

No, you misunderstand.

Canon's FD Mount is what I am talking about. Canon trashed it, entirely, when they came out with the EF mount.

Canon's FD Mount is = to Nikon's AI-S Mount, which Nikon allowed its digital users to continue to use, which Canon unilaterally shut down when it switched to EF.

I would be willing to bet that, soon enough, the AI-S compatibility Nikon users have enjoyed will start getting squeezed from Nikon's future cameras ... to encourage purchases of their new, upgraded E series lenses.

Time will tell ...

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:40 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.