Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Hypersync with on camera speedlite (yn560III)..not remote...

TooManyShots
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hypersync with on camera speedlite (yn560III)..not remote triggering...

can it be done and if so, which transceivers that would allow me to do that? It seems that most hypersync capable trigger system would require some remote triggering. I am only interested in having my Yongnuo 560III on the hotshoe. Currently, the yn560III can do a full power sync at 1/400s. By 1/500s, I get about a black bar covering 25% of the frame. Shooting with a D7200.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:41 PM
Kathy Li

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hypersync with on camera speedlite (yn560III)..not remote triggering...

TooManyShots wrote:
can it be done and if so, which transceivers that would allow me to do that? It seems that most hypersync capable trigger system would require some remote triggering. I am only interested in having my Yongnuo 560III on the hotshoe. Currently, the yn560III can do a full power sync at 1/400s. By 1/500s, I get about a black bar covering 25% of the frame. Shooting with a D7200.

Ok, this is just me, but why would you ever think of doing it this way? If you do use tail-syncing (aka hypersync, supersync, etc.) with a transceiver, the flash has to be off-camera or the transceiver has to be sandwiched between the camera and the flash, and it's just less stable. It's also even MORE of a power-suck with more diminishing returns than HSS (FP) and often requires timing adjustments that may or may not be within the capabilities of the radio triggers. In other words, it simply isn't as good as having actual HSS.

I have gotten tailsync to work with YN-622C units and my 580EXII--I could never get it to work with my YN-560 (Mark I).

If your usage scenario is to have the flash on the camera at all times, and you're shooting a D7200, then I think by far your simplest solution here is to get a TTL/HSS-capable flash. A used SB-700 would be better on TTL and AF-assist as well than any 3rd party unit. But if you really can't afford much, then just get a Yongnuo YN-568EX. Or a Godox TT685. Yes, it's more expensive than a YN-560III. But not more than a YN-560III and a pair of YN-622Cs or a YN-622C and YN-622C-TX. And you'll have TTL which is great for on-camera bounce use.

Tools for the task. These manual-only Chinese cheapies are much better for off-camera usage than on.

Jul 02, 2017 at 07:00 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hypersync with on camera speedlite (yn560III)..not remote triggering...

I mainly shoot cycling race photography. Having the ability to do a full flash sync at 1/500s would ensure clear and sharp images and with wonderful lighting. Power drain isn't a problem because I am using a high voltage battery pack. A single charge can last me over 1k shots at 1/4 power. HSS isn't useful if the subjects are too far away. Reduce flash power means reducing the flash distance. You get the fill light effect and must less so in freezing actions..

Anyway, it appears these hypersync capable triggers aren't designed for on camera flash....only for remote triggering....

Jul 02, 2017 at 08:04 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hypersync with on camera speedlite (yn560III)..not remote triggering...

TooManyShots wrote:
[...]HSS isn't useful if the subjects are too far away.

Neither is Hypersync (tm). It's slightly better than HSS, apparently, but still loses a lot of range.

Jul 02, 2017 at 09:22 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password