Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

No, it is not the best 35mm lens in the Sony lineup and actually, it is the slowest. The main advantage of this lens is its tiny size and light-weight. Although I adopted the A7-series cameras early on in late 2013 and this lens was readily available pretty much early on but I didn't get this lens until recently, mainly as a travel lens on non-photography trips with just non-photographing friends.

I also took 3 other lenses, the Loxia 21mm, Batis 85mm, and Voigtlander 12mm, all prime lenses. The most used lenses are the FE 35mm and Loxia 21mm. While the Loxia has earned an excellent reputation, the FE 35mm f/2.8 is considered only as an OK lens. at best. I didn't think much about it at the beginning although I did like the size and weight. But after 2 trips you can color me impressed especially considering its physical specifications.

I do have 2 Leica-M mount 35mm lenses that I use from time to time on my TAP and I am not selling my FE f/1.4 version either; it is has its own strength and, but I am also keeping this tiny lens. The drawback, especially, back then when it was new or fairly new, was the price. Fortunately, due to its lack-luster reputation, the price of a used copy is pretty affordable now. So, to answer my own question I posted in the title, Yes, in my book, it is a perfect travel lens on a FF body.

Here are a few images using that lens including the exif data, 3 of which were cross posted already on the big FE thread. Thanks for looking! And please feel free to post your images taken with this lens on this thread

© AGeoJO 2017

Golden Gate Bridge - 3-image HDR

© AGeoJO 2017

At the French Quarter, New Orleans

© AGeoJO 2017

Impromptu environmental portrait at a historical plantation

© AGeoJO 2017

At its MFD - Magnolia: the State flower of Mississippi and Tennessee

© AGeoJO 2017

The Mississippi Queen at Dock in Natchez, Mississippi

© AGeoJO 2017

Longwood, the largest octagonal house in the US, Natchez, Mississippi

© AGeoJO 2017

5-image pano of San Francisco from the Twin Peaks

Jun 28, 2017 at 05:53 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

Nice enough pics, but if I were shooting those at those aperture I'd prefer the 35 Loxia.

Also, there seems to be a lot of QA variance with the 35/2.8. The one I tried was pretty lousy, but I know Fred has a very good, even near perfect, one. Even so, the color and (micro) contrast from the lens leaves wanting more.

Jun 28, 2017 at 07:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

Great shots Joshua! The #2 is a good example of the strength of this lens. Sharp to the edges wide open.

Regarding what @pdmphoto wrote, I think the Loxia would give better sunstars and perhaps more subject separation (higher micro-contrast). The edges are OK stepped down but I think the ZA does better there. Unfortunately I witnessed moderate copy variation for the 35/2.8 ZA. Some copies I tried were pretty bad.

My personal travel lens is the FE 35/1.4 ZA. I don't care about the size because I love the rendering. My landscape choice when packing light is the FE 35/2.8 ZA for this FL.

Jun 28, 2017 at 07:52 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

I travel with the 35 1.4 but I get some weight loss in other lenses in the bag.

Jun 28, 2017 at 08:08 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

Very nice Joshua. Thanks. K-H.

Jun 28, 2017 at 08:33 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

This has been posted before, but I really like the photo.

Jun 28, 2017 at 08:59 PM
tylerdurden801
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

I think it's an underrated lens. Overpriced for sure, but it's a fine bit of kit. I shoot it wide open most of the time.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:20 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

Great shots Joshua! I also have the Sonnar but not using it often. Just prefer the bigger Zony 35 1.4 or ZM 35 Biogon, but then I dont really need edge to edge sharpness in my photography. I value more into lens character and rendering.

My travel kit usually consist of 16-35 f/4, 35 1.4 and ZM 50 Planar. Can swap the Zeiss 35 1.4 with the 35 1.2 Nokton if the wife is coming. She just love the output from that lens..

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:05 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

pdmphoto wrote:
Nice enough pics, but if I were shooting those at those aperture I'd prefer the 35 Loxia.

Also, there seems to be a lot of QA variance with the 35/2.8. The one I tried was pretty lousy, but I know Fred has a very good, even near perfect, one. Even so, the color and (micro) contrast from the lens leaves wanting more.

Thank you for dropping by. I am aware of the copy-to-copy variation of this lens and I consider myself pretty lucky in that respect.

Although I don't mind using manual focus lenses in the (ultra) wide focal length range, the 35mm FL is at the border and for a travel lens where speed sometimes is essential, I prefer an AF lens as I am not getting younger. In addition, the difference in weight and size between this and the Loxia is not something to write home about but still. Granted, the Loxia is a faster lens and has its advantages as such.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Great shots Joshua! The #2 is a good example of the strength of this lens. Sharp to the edges wide open.

Regarding what @pdmphoto@ wrote, I think the Loxia would give better sunstars and perhaps more subject separation (higher micro-contrast). The edges are OK stepped down but I think the ZA does better there. Unfortunately I witnessed moderate copy variation for the 35/2.8 ZA. Some copies I tried were pretty bad.

Thank you, Fred! Yes, the sunstar generated by this lens is not that good. But as you have noticed, I am pretty pleased with the wide open performance of this lens. It is more than just decent for sure.

Edited on Jun 29, 2017 at 12:09 AM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:44 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

GMPhotography wrote:
I travel with the 35 1.4 but I get some weight loss in other lenses in the bag.

Haha, Guy. that sounds like you alright. Thank you for stopping by.

k-h.a.w wrote:
Very nice Joshua. Thanks. K-H.

No, thank you, K-H., for stopping by and your kind words.

JimBuchanan wrote:
This has been posted before, but I really like the photo.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/271/31678042142_1c04527a0d_b.jpg

Great image, Jim!

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:48 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

tylerdurden801 wrote:
I think it's an underrated lens. Overpriced for sure, but it's a fine bit of kit. I shoot it wide open most of the time.

Right on the money, Tyler! And thank you for dropping by.

frezeiss wrote:
Great shots Joshua! I also have the Sonnar but not using it often. Just prefer the bigger Zony 35 1.4 or ZM 35 Biogon, but then I dont really need edge to edge sharpness in my photography. I value more into lens character and rendering.

My travel kit usually consist of 16-35 f/4, 35 1.4 and ZM 50 Planar. Can swap the Zeiss 35 1.4 with the 35 1.2 Nokton if the wife is coming. She just love the output from that lens..

Thank you very much, frezeiss! I also have the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 Version I and I also love the output of that lens. The rendition of the two is definitely different from each other. Although I am using that lens on my TAP, I still won't take it on an extended travel as my go to lens. In addition, that lens is quite hefty.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:07 AM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

I've previously been highly critical of the FE 35/2.8 (overpriced, severe vignetting) but lately I've had reason to revise my opinion. I made an attempt to replace it in the small, light 35mm FL category with a CV Nokton Classic 35/1.4, a lens that turned out to be disappointing and is now on its way back to the seller. I've started using the FE 35/2.8 more frequently and have found that -- as Joshua's examples convincingly demonstrate (and as Fred has being saying all along) -- it's a sharp, versatile lens with decent bokeh that holds its own against all the other full frame 35mm choices.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:54 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

Great shots Joshua!!! I totally agree the FE 35/2.8 is very under rated. Some smarter marketing like placing GM on the lens and I am sure many more would adopt the lens The FE 55/1.8 and FE 35/2.8 were my first and only Sony lenses when the A7r was released and I just thought of the FE 35/2.8 as a kit lens. As mentioned before my son still uses this lens almost exclusively and it is a fantastic travel lens for him as it has been for my wife Marisa.

I have had the Loxia 35 and never warmed up to this lens, yet I loved the Loxia 21 and 50. The 35mm FL at f/2 is still a weak link, particularly smaller/light lens with AF.

Jun 29, 2017 at 01:55 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

My only worry about the 2.8/35 is that i had a great copy that suddenly developed significant skew - very soft left side - and im pretty sure I never dropped it. I had to sell at a discount. I almost bought another copy though, and after three weeks of travel with too many lenses I'm again very tempted.

Greetings to all from Milano!
genji wrote:
I've previously been highly critical of the FE 35/2.8 (overpriced, severe vignetting) but lately I've had reason to revise my opinion. I made an attempt to replace it in the small, light 35mm FL category with a CV Nokton Classic 35/1.4, a lens that turned out to be disappointing and is now on its way back to the seller. I've started using the FE 35/2.8 more frequently and have found that -- as Joshua's examples convincingly demonstrate (and as Fred has being saying all along) -- it's a sharp, versatile lens with decent bokeh that holds its own against all
...Show more

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:48 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

As a travel lens, with only one Lens for a A7
is it better than a used Fuji X100S or X100T ?
which will be almost the same Price if u own already a A7

Jun 29, 2017 at 03:38 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

Nice thread Joshua.

However much I think about buying this lens and I do (on occasions when I'm thinking of how to lighten my bag further) there is for me no way this supplants the Voigtlander Ultron 35/17ii I have in my bag, unless I especially wanted AF at this FL for some reason. I love the Ultron's gorgeous sunstars and flare resistance, size and the knurled focusing ring (not to everyone's taste but I love it) that is so easy to find even in the dark.

Weight is close enough when we are talking just a 100g or so (120g vs. 238g), price is almost identical new (both ca. $800) and although the Voigt does need an adapter (TAP or Voigt M Close Focus - which I use for other M lenses anyway) it has the additional benefit of reducing the Ultron's native MFD (50cms) to 32cms, about the same as the 30cms of the ZA.

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:06 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

Frogfish wrote:
Nice thread Joshua.

However much I think about buying this lens and I do (on occasions when I'm thinking of how to lighten my bag further) there is for me no way this supplants the Voigtlander Ultron 35/17ii I have in my bag, unless I especially wanted AF at this FL for some reason. I love the Ultron's gorgeous sunstars and flare resistance, size and the knurled focusing ring (not to everyone's taste but I love it) that is so easy to find even in the dark.

Weight is close enough when we are talking just a 100g or so (120g
...Show more

I agree Kevin. The Voiglander Ultron 35/1.7ii is a superb lens

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:49 AM
frezeiss
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

Bespoked wrote:
I love my 2.8/35 Zony, small, light, sharp and contrasty.
I just don't like the flare and price.

I actually think it is the best 35mm available for Sony, when you take into consideration the reasons I stated above.
The 1.4 is huge, has IQ issues (imo) and very pricey, adapted options either focus slowly, have soft edges, are bulky and cumbersome or all of the above.

1.4 version is just sublime! I think the asymmetry issue is over blown. I find it my best Sony Zeiss lens.

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:54 AM
coase
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

Perhaps I am a fool, but I didn't think the Zeiss 35/2.8 was so much better than my Canon FD 35/2.8 for the money involved. So when I saw the RX1 available used for a very good price (with the LCD screen showing some damage but functional) boasting that excellent 35/f2 lens, I got it instead.

I either use that as a standalone camera for light travel or else bring it as a backup to an A7ii based system with different wide, normal, and longer FL lenses.

Jun 29, 2017 at 06:09 AM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 - a perfect travel lens?

DavidBM wrote:
My only worry about the 2.8/35 is that i had a great copy that suddenly developed significant skew - very soft left side - and im pretty sure I never dropped it. I had to sell at a discount. I almost bought another copy though, and after three weeks of travel with too many lenses I'm again very tempted.

Greetings to all from Milano!

Now that the price has dropped so dramatically, I'm seriously considering picking up another copy as a spare.

Jun 29, 2017 at 06:10 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.