New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Using a Nikon PB-4 bellow with my Nikon D4 camera

mirrels
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using a Nikon PB-4 bellow with my Nikon D4 camera

Hello, I bought myself a PB-4 bellow to use for macro photography with my Nikon D4. I already purchased an extension ring (Nikon pk-13) to be able to mount the camera on the bellow. I am not very knowledgeable (yet) on this kind of photography so bear with me.

The 'problem' that I have is that if I use the bellow with my D4 and my Nikon AF-D 60mm F/2.8 micro the object I want to photograph has to be as close as a centimeter distance to the front of the lens. If I move it further away I am not able to focus on it anymore. Is this due to this specific lens? In other words, are there lenses that I can use where I can put the object for example 10cm away and still achieve focus? Or is there something else that is causing the issue and if so, how to fix it?

Thanks!

Jun 28, 2017 at 06:28 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using a Nikon PB-4 bellow with my Nikon D4 camera

Even without PB-4 movements, the distance from rear element to image plane (BFD) is far longer than ordinary SLR usage. While standard F-mount lenses can be mounted, the effect will be high magnification and short (or optically impossible) working distance to the subject—as you have already discovered. The lens will also be operating far outside its design.

Dedicated lenses for bellows have a long BFD, and are available from Nikon and other sources. Nikon PB mounts the Bellows-Nikkor 105/4 natively, and you can mount a process lens like their Micro-Nikkor 70/5 with a suitable adapter (LTM/F). Other OEM options include the El-Nikkor (enlarger) lenses and the large-format series. From third parties, you might consider Olympus bellows lenses like the Zuiko 1:1 Macro 80/4. Medium-format lenses like Zeiss in Hasselblad V mount should adapt perfectly and guarantee a large image circle for shift/tilt (the real reason to use a PB-4). Unlike ordinary SLR usage, a bellows unit has plenty of room to insert a lens adapter for any mount while maintaining infinity focus (BFD permitting).

I use the equivalent Contax T/S bellows with its dedicated Zeiss 100/4 macro.

Ref:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/micronikkor/Bellow-Nikkor/index.htm
http://redbook-jp.com/redbook-e/record/m70.html

Jun 29, 2017 at 06:50 AM
mirrels
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using a Nikon PB-4 bellow with my Nikon D4 camera

Thanks for the great reply Rico. I think I've read it like 30 times now and constantly looking up stuff about the things you wrote.

I indeed am intending to use the tilt function of my PB-4, so would buying for example a 105/4 natively bellow lens give me enough margin to use the tilt function? Or should I go for the medium format Zeiss lenses in Hasselblad V mount?What do you think?

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using a Nikon PB-4 bellow with my Nikon D4 camera

@mirrels, Being released with the PB-4, the Bellows-Nikkor should have a sufficient image circle, but I don't know personally. For sure, the CZ equivalent (S-Planar 100/4) covers the 645 frame, as fully utilized here:

In general, I would be suspicious of bellows lenses from 35mm systems since the larger image circle is an expensive feature. Many such lenses (like the Leica R 100/4) were offered for macro purposes, not T/S.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:36 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using a Nikon PB-4 bellow with my Nikon D4 camera

folks in the macro forum are quite helpful similar to rico... :-)

Jun 29, 2017 at 01:37 PM
Stokesey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using a Nikon PB-4 bellow with my Nikon D4 camera

Eric

I use a PB-6 plus extension

And to get longer distance focus points use a longer lens. I have used a Sigma 180mm and the Nikon 180mm f2.8 obviously both manual focus. So you can get inexpensive lenses to do the job for you which will still allow you to use the tilt and shift of the PB-4

Enjoy

Steve

Aug 08, 2017 at 12:45 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password