New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

NewRochelle

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

Do you guys know any particular sites that list them or which models do have raw support? I don't havem uch money left to spend on high quality cameras for the moment i just want to get started before i make a decision into investing tons of times into digital photography.

amazon doesn't help , too expensive even the used ones do not help.

Jun 28, 2017 at 09:02 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

I would guess one of the P&S Powershot models, esp a used one.

Jun 28, 2017 at 09:09 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

Google Canon Refurbs and look through their offerings. As Snapsy said, probably one of the higher end P&S cameras. I've used the G series P&Ss for about 10 years and they offer raw output. Several of the others do as well.

Jun 28, 2017 at 09:20 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

What do you think you would like to photograph?

Jun 28, 2017 at 09:20 AM
Zplusc3
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

If you use CHDK custom firmware you can get RAW files from basic P&S models.
Find something used and cheap and make sure its compatible before buying.
I've used CHDK a while back when I wanted to do some timelapse and gopros wasn't out yet.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Jun 28, 2017 at 09:21 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

just hunt out any of the early DSLR's with a kit lens . you must be able to find some dirt cheap rebel around somewhere .

at least that way you can invest in a better lens or 2 when you a bit more flush and then upgrade the body when you in a position to do so

heck if you hunt around enough you may even find a little gem like a 5D for decently cheap money . stick a 50/1.8 on it and enjoy

getting a P&S even an earlyish G series just because it does RAW is pretty much folly . most all of them have tiny sensors that are old tech so image quality in anything other than great light isn't good . no amount of RAW processing is going to get you round that . and when shot in good light those old P&S's took good JPEGS (for those days standards) you never really needed the RAW file anyway

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:25 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

My memory is that the newer G and S series could shoot RAW. Unlike my general prejudice, I have to agree with Ian, that the JPEGs were quite good.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:32 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

The RAWs from my the 1D and 1D Mark II sitting on my bookshelf still look pretty damn good in the right conditions.

$100 each on Ebay, still bombproof.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM
NewRochelle

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

Nature & animals but more than anything I just want raw support to experiment with color management, not interested in high quality top notch cameras but they are always welcomed if i can afford them.

Jun 28, 2017 at 01:13 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

snapsy wrote:
I would guess one of the P&S Powershot models, esp a used one.

You can find them at garage sales for $10 - certainly cheaper than good raw processing software will cost.

Jun 28, 2017 at 01:24 PM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

Wouldn't this depends on the software used for RAW processing? If you used the latest DPP, it's not going to work on some older cameras.

Jun 28, 2017 at 01:42 PM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

This looks like a reasonable kit, Canon T5 18-55 and 75-300. If that is still a little more than you were looking to spend, look for a used camera... but beware anything cheaper on the used market is likely going to be old, and I know a lot of the older cameras don't have RAW support anymore. For example, my 1D Mark II N isn't fully supported with some Adobe products, or Canon's newer versions of DPP.

Jun 28, 2017 at 05:06 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

All Canon DSLRs from the D30 onwards have RAW support. I still "develop" RAW files from my 2003 EOS 10D. The camera is long gone but modern software is a lot better than back in the day (as is my processing skill).

I bought a Rebel SL1 with kit lens last summer for $279 from Canon Direct. It was a refurb with only a few dozen shutter cycles and takes darn tootin' images.

Jun 28, 2017 at 06:44 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

Gochugogi wrote:
All Canon DSLRs from the D30 onwards have RAW support. I still "develop" RAW files from my 2003 EOS 10D. The camera is long gone but modern software is a lot better than back in the day (as is my processing skill).

I bought a Rebel SL1 with kit lens last summer for $279 from Canon Direct. It was a refurb with only a few dozen shutter cycles and takes darn tootin' images.

Yes, many DSLR cameras to chose from and one can pick up a used Canon DSLR from the previous generation for around $100 or $150 with kit zoom. Add $125 or so for a used/refurb 55-250STM and you have a cheap kit to start dabbling in nature/animals photography.

However, when subjects are usually far away (as often with nature/animals) and best possible IQ is not necessary, it might be better to buy a compact like the Powershot SX50 (with native RAW support). A DSLR gets expensive when you need long focal length with decent IQ.

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:36 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

NewRochelle wrote:
Do you guys know any particular sites that list them or which models do have raw support? I don't havem uch money left to spend on high quality cameras for the moment i just want to get started before i make a decision into investing tons of times into digital photography.

amazon doesn't help , too expensive even the used ones do not help.

The cheapest good dslr I would recommend would either be the T2i/550D or the 40D, both of which are lovely cameras, have RAW (as all Canon dslr's do) and are very cheap now.

Jun 29, 2017 at 05:43 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

dhphoto wrote:
The cheapest good dslr I would recommend would either be the T2i/550D or the 40D, both of which are lovely cameras, have RAW (as all Canon dslr's do) and are very cheap now.

I have some truly superb photos taken with my first DLSR, a 20D. One recently won best of show in a photo competition. I agree that a 40D would do much of what a causal user would need. Doesn't fit into a pocket however.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:37 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

OntheRez wrote:
I have some truly superb photos taken with my first DLSR, a 20D. One recently won best of show in a photo competition. I agree that a 40D would do much of what a causal user would need. Doesn't fit into a pocket however.

Was being pocketable a requirement? If so neither will a 20D, I had one and loved it but it's so easily bested by the T2i and 40D that I don't think it makes much sense IMHO

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:40 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

Look at keh.com. They even have a warranty. A 30D cost me $139 a few years ago. Still good cameras. I got a lot of good stuff on a Rebel XT, rather have a 30D, though.

I actually preferred the 30D to the 40D in some ways. 20D should be good, but I haven't used it much. I think they might have been under $100 last I checked?

Watch the batteries, and try to get a charger. Wouldn't hurt to check Craigslist, I suppose.

Jun 29, 2017 at 06:48 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

dhphoto wrote:
Was being pocketable a requirement? If so neither will a 20D, I had one and loved it but it's so easily bested by the T2i and 40D that I don't think it makes much sense IMHO

I'm not sure on size as the OP didn't specify. Others have suggested P&S camera, so was just observing. I'm sure the 40D is much better than the 20D and if the T2i is significantly newer then it would obviously have a better sensor and other features. OP did note "he didn't have much money." (I think we all feel that way at times so I was suggesting as cheap as I could think of. No clue what the cost of a T2i is so can't comment.

One thought on the T series. I've only used one a time or two, but was frustrated at how poorly controls were laid out for manual shooting. OP wants RAW files. From what I know, you can't get the best of a RAW file without some manual control. I don't think green dot allows for RAW, but again haven't really checked.

Jun 30, 2017 at 02:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cheapest CANON with raw file support

OntheRez wrote:
... I don't think green dot allows for RAW, but again haven't really checked.

The S110 disables RAW, when you switch to the green fully-auto mode.

Jun 30, 2017 at 03:15 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.