FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              11       12       end

LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

good to know. i like the idea of using primes for the compactness, but the 12-24 weighs quite a bit less than the 14-24, and is similar in weight to the Loxia 21mm and voigtlander 15mm (w/ adapter) combined.

Jun 29, 2017 at 08:52 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

One idea if one gets the 12-24 but sill need a lens for filters . The VC 15mm will take one 58mm filter without cutting the petals off. That maybe one of the few wide primes you can still get a normal filter on. Nice thing about this lens it's very small so it can hang in the corner of your bag. There maybe others but that one does come to mind and it's not very expensive and it does take a polarizer well. I'm almost thinking even if it just replaced my VC12 alone it maybe worth having. Be nice to have a AF lens this wide when the occasion needs it and still be able to manual focus when the need calls for it. I could also throw this in crop mode and be a PR lens although a little slow. Lots of dang options here. I'm sure everyone is thinking the same on how to put this in the kit that makes sense. Almost too many options. Lol

Personally I would not put a polarizer on the 12-24. I think it may cause potential problems in several areas of IQ. That's me though

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:21 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

I'm a little surprised by this. Very nice indeed

Fred Miranda wrote:
Roger posted an addendum to the article with field curvature measurements. The new 12-24/4G seems to be flat-field on both ends of the range.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:41 PM
Justin Stone
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

On paper, on the bench, and in the hand (only thing we don't have is a lot of photographs! :P ) this lens is a huge surprise. Sony will have to do a lot with the 16-35 2.8 to make me go that route instead. I'm hopeful, but even then I may still go 12-24

GMPhotography wrote:
I'm a little surprised by this. Very nice indeed

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:45 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Well I'll be in NY on the 6th I'll at least go see it at B&H . That could be dangerous. Lol

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:50 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Justin Stone wrote:
On paper, on the bench, and in the hand (only thing we don't have is a lot of photographs! :P ) this lens is a huge surprise. Sony will have to do a lot with the 16-35 2.8 to make me go that route instead. I'm hopeful, but even then I may still go 12-24

I find the 16-35 and 12-24 being totally two different lenses with different uses, at least for me. The 16-35 is a great lens for street, event and travel whereas the 12-24 is better suited for wide landscapes and interiors...more specialized than a 16-35. Ideally one would have both, but I don't see one replacing the other...just too different.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:20 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

chez wrote:
I find the 16-35 and 12-24 being totally two different lenses with different uses, at least for me. The 16-35 is a great lens for street, event and travel whereas the 12-24 is better suited for wide landscapes and interiors...more specialized than a 16-35. Ideally one would have both, but I don't see one replacing the other...just too different.

on a practical level, one can easily replace the other. It's kind of like the 24-70 f2.8 and 24-105 f4 debates for canon, generally most people dont care to own both. They simply make due with one of them.

I'de say that most shooters already have the normal range covered , whether it's a 24-70, 28-70, 35, and/or 50, the pure focal length of 12-24 is much more appealing. Not being able to easily take filters changes things a lot. Those that dont care for filters, their decision is already made, those that need filters are dealing with heavy mental anguish. Either way I'm personally ok, I'll just bite my lip and spend for the GM.... having the 12-24 would have been much more effecient, not only does it cost less, but I can also sell off the CV 10 and recoup half the cost of the 12-24. Last option is to do nothing and continue on with the cv 10 and 16-35 f4, I shoot way too many beachscapes to be dealing with primes near the ocean.

If only I had a larger supply of money for this hobby

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:40 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

The 12-24/4 and 16-35/4 have more similarities than differences down to the number of aperture blades. However, we still don't know about aberration control and rendering which are also important for many applications. I could see the reasoning for carrying both as the 12-15mm range is important for landscapes/architecture and this solves the issue with filters starting at 16mm.

I would say the 12-24/4 G and 16-35/2.8 GM are different beasts and could perhaps be the best combination as far as IQ and versatility. It will come at a price though.

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:04 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Man this is tough to figure out.

I better not go in B&H on the 6th. I might not be able to control myself. Lol

Fred Miranda wrote:
The 12-24/4 and 16-35/4 have more similarities than differences down to the number of aperture blades. However, we still don't know about aberration control and rendering which are also important for many applications. I could see the reasoning for carrying both as the 12-15mm range is important for landscapes/architecture and this solves the issue with filters starting at 16mm.

I would say the 12-24/4 G and 16-35/2.8 GM are different beasts and could perhaps be the best combination as far as IQ and versatility. It will come at a price though.

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:22 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

12-24/4 seems appealing to me.
16-35/4 not so much.

I'll give it a few weeks before I order.

K-H.

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

seanj
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Gosh darn it. I am starting to want this lens. My widest now is 28, but I rented the Voigtlander 15 last summer and liked it and loved the focal length for drama. I've just been too worried about getting bad copies to order it. Then I started waiting for the Laowa 15 and other options appeared that are ultra wide. I would be happy with a prime, but now this zoom is looking fantastic. Hmmm. Hmmmm.

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:33 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

One thought I had was this could have at least 3 great focal lengths . Most zooms don't cover the whole range really perfect. Let's say just for argument sake it's great at 12,18 and 24. But usually the case it's good on one end not the other. I think from what we seen so far is 12,15 and maybe 21 with 24 being the weak side. If it goes the other way. Than 24,18,12

Obviously we don't know yet but that's 3 focal lengths that could be great or all of them. Honestly I have known Roger a really long time. Not sure I ever read his opinion on a lens so strong.

seanj wrote:
Gosh darn it. I am starting to want this lens. My widest now is 28, but I rented the Voigtlander 15 last summer and liked it and loved the focal length for drama. I've just been too worried about getting bad copies to order it. Then I started waiting for the Laowa 15 and other options appeared that are ultra wide. I would be happy with a prime, but now this zoom is looking fantastic. Hmmm. Hmmmm.

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:47 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

It wins on the main fronts. Character matters much less at wide FLs, you need strong straight up performance - definition and clarity. People use 28/35s and upwards for special looks, so 24 and wider makes real sense in a zoom. Most would be happy if 12-21 work very well, and still much lighter than three light primes. So it frees up weight and bulk in the bag while taking care of wide needs very tidily. For two body users, one can be dedicated to wide angle needs with just one lens.

Wide primes may become niche, with fast apertures like f1.4/f2, like we see happening recently.

Jun 30, 2017 at 01:26 AM
Justin Stone
• •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

chez wrote:

Your points are valid enough. Still there's a lot of overlap in focal length. I left out a lot of information about my current kit which will influence my thinking about which to get.

With an 18 and a 25 Batis I feel like I have wide to (medium, lol) ultrawide covered. The 16-35 would have allowed me to probably ditch both of these lenses and not incur a whole lot of extra wallet damage. One wide angle lens to rule them all if you will...

The 12-24 being so good though calls to me (siren song) to keep my current kit and "just" add one more lens. This would be the more versatile kit. Although as Fred notes, really the killer thing to do here would be to have both a 16-35 2.8 and a 12-24 f4 in your kit and use the one that fits the situation.

I love my Batis lenses. They've been the bulk of my kit for two years.

I've said it before and will say it again. We are on the verge of an embarrassment of riches at the wide end.

Jun 30, 2017 at 01:43 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

If I got the 12-24 I would most likely sell my 12 and 28 . Heck I know I would but either keep my 18 or replace it with the Batis 25. I still want a fast wide prime that can take a filter too.

Jun 30, 2017 at 01:52 AM
darbo
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

GMPhotography wrote:
If I got the 12-24 I would most likely sell my 12 and 28 . Heck I know I would but either keep my 18 or replace it with the Batis 25. I still want a fast wide prime that can take a filter too.

Good strategy imo. I have the Batis 18 and 25 and would love to add the FE 12-24 to complement them (Roger's findings are making the lens nearly irresistible! ). I think it would be fine with 18mm being my widest lens that is filter-friendly. If I do get the 12-24, will definitely be selling my Laowa 12mm.

Jun 30, 2017 at 05:16 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Another trick if you want a cheaper wide solution for filters is get the Tokina 20 Firin that is a really nice lens takes filters and would be a nice compliment to this zoom

Jun 30, 2017 at 06:06 AM
Viramati
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

I'm really liking it's apparent lack of field curvature which is something I feel my FE16-35 suffers from but am still slightly concerned that it's edge and corner sharpness won't be up to that of the the new 16-35GM.

Jun 30, 2017 at 07:59 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

GMPhotography wrote:
Man this is tough to figure out.

I better not go in B&H on the 6th. I might not be able to control myself. Lol

Guy, since we all have a fair idea of how many lenses you buy without losing control, I have this mental picture of you leaving B&H driving a forklift to carry the pallet.

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:55 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

It's funny you say that I'm driving a 16 ft box truck to NY right now. I could easily go hit the warehouse and grab a few pallets to bring home.

Where can I buy a ski mask real quick.

You know back in the day things just fell off the truck for some reason. Somehow all the Italians had it too. Can't figure that one out. ROTFLMAO

RCicala wrote:
Guy, since we all have a fair idea of how many lenses you buy without losing control, I have this mental picture of you leaving B&H driving a forklift to carry the pallet.

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:57 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password