FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              11       12       end

LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

chiron wrote:
How does the FE compare to the Canon 11-24L f/4? It is certainly smaller and lighter. Is it optically as good?

From Roger's review:

Source: Roger Cicala, LensRentals Blog

Jun 28, 2017 at 04:11 AM
chiron
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

mitesh wrote:
From Roger's review:

Zowie!!!

Jun 28, 2017 at 04:17 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Jimi3 wrote:
Has there been any talk of a filter solution for this lens yet? I'm currently using the sigma art, which I can adapt with the fotodiox nd throttle for long exposure seascapes...but for hiking, it's way too heavy. Looks like the Sony competes at less than half the weight!

I have the same for the Tamron 15-30mm and feel it is well done. Of course, I wish the lens would just take normal filters but if that is the price to pay for the size and edge performance then so be it.

Jun 28, 2017 at 04:25 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

pdmphoto wrote:
Looks good for a zoom especially, and for a good price, but I wouldn't give up my great samples of the Voigt12 and Loxia 21. Besides sharpness, those lenses just have a really special IQ, great flare/ghosting resistance, and nice sunstars.

I'm also betting that users are going to see some significant sample variation. I'm sure Fred or Guy are going to get a near perfect one though

The CV 12 has good flare performance but not in the same level as the Loxia 21. I agree on the beautiful sunstar rendering though. Either way I'm getting the 12-24/4 and will compare to the CV 12 at infinity. Hopefully I will get a centered copy. The only problem is that I just ordered it and therefore may not be in the first batch...

Jun 28, 2017 at 04:26 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

These tests are very impressive. Yes, the corners are not quite as good as the centre, but they are not bad and the centre is stunningly sharp, so part of the drop in the corners is the outstanding centre sharpness. All this in such a small package too. This looks like an excellent option.

Jun 28, 2017 at 04:32 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Very tempting.

Jun 28, 2017 at 04:54 AM
Jimi3
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Charlie N wrote:
150mm..... not really interested in ditching 100mm.... Tape on a rear gel? Not sure why sony didnt include it, maybe someone can modify the baffle to take gels?

Yeah, don't know why rear gel slots aren't more common on lenses like this. They're of limited usefulness, but when all you need is an ND filter, they get the job done.

Jun 28, 2017 at 05:12 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

The graph, mitesh, indicates the lens on the right is the better performer, if we accept the scaling is similar despite the labeling on the left side; and the usual caveats apply. You are looking for smooth progress from center to corner; parallelism of sag/tan lines, a lack of dramatic fall-offs and then - the actual numbers.

Note that fluctuations become more severe with each step 'downwards' ending in purple. The line pair onset of 'issues' is another indicator - most residual aberrations show up worse at the finer detail end of the spectrum. Field curvature, for example impacts fine detail far more than edge acutance, one reason makers are doing what they can to eradicate it in modern lenses designed for high res sensors. With ultra wide angles, it's not ALL about fine detail, but at such extreme angles of view, it almost IS...you need a lot of definition for small motifs in image space. With virtually everything in good focus, faults are more apparent. The Sony looks special, no astigmatism in red pair, better in others too, esp. in the outer frame. Even at the very hard ask of 50 lpmm, behavior is exemplary.

The best measure is the pale blue line pair - 40 lpmm. It should be in steady decline and the two lines ideally meet again at/near the wide edges/corners. Note which lens has stronger edges/corners ('18'/'20' respectively) for all spatial frequencies (line colors).

Hmm. This is bad news for Canon, just as Sony is pushing hard on the pro body front; a lot of people love the WAs, and they don't come more dramatic than the $2700, 1180 gram flagship 11-24mm. Now Sony comes along with a small and more usable lens at $1700 and a 'prime class' weight of 565 grams. Who would want to adapt, making the legacy 11-24 even larger and heavier and more troublesome? Much as we like primes, it's the zooms that will be the real battleground.

True Steve, we are not going to see consistent cross-frame IQ in strong ultra wides, even loaded to the gills with fancy glass formulations; Zeiss's 15/2.8 falls from axis of 84% to an average of 35% in the corners. This Sony is very good indeed, and is priced to sell in high volumes; will even hurt the Zeiss WA primes.

Jun 28, 2017 at 05:47 AM
ChrisLovesUgly

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

bargainguy wrote:
Very interesting observations, and thank you for sharing them, Roger.

Ever since I got an a7 and then an a7ii, I've been looking for a lens like this. While the 16-35 FE was a possibility, I had heard about various issues - decentering and sharpness drop in the corners at the long end - that kept me from getting one. This one seems a much more likely contender if it doesn't suffer the same issues that the 16-35 did.

The fact that it's more compact is definitely a bonus. I have small hands and the a7x series is not exactly
...Show more

I think it's about the same size as the 16-35/4, maybe a touch larger?

Jun 28, 2017 at 07:19 AM
Trek_of_Joy
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Jimi3 wrote:
Has there been any talk of a filter solution for this lens yet? I'm currently using the sigma art, which I can adapt with the fotodiox nd throttle for long exposure seascapes...but for hiking, it's way too heavy. Looks like the Sony competes at less than half the weight!

You can modify a lens cap to hold filters on lenses with bulbous front elements. I did one for the original Samyang 14mm. Though 12mm is much wider, that would be my first inclination as other solutions are incredibly bulky and expensive.

http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/2010/gear/filters-for-lenses-that-cant-take-filters/

For me this lens may bring me back into the Sony fold as Fuji has nothing that can compete. Damn you Sony!

Jun 28, 2017 at 07:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bjornthun
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

What will field curvature be like with the new Sony 12-24/4 G?

Jun 28, 2017 at 09:45 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Fred Miranda wrote:
The CV 12 has good flare performance but not in the same level as the Loxia 21. I agree on the beautiful sunstar rendering though. Either way I'm getting the 12-24/4 and will compare to the CV 12 at infinity. Hopefully I will get a centered copy. The only problem is that I just ordered and therefore may not get the first batch...

I'm sure you've tested yours more than I tested mine. Still, I'm impressed by the flare resistance and lack of ghosting for a super wide angle. I would be really surprised if the 12-24 is as good as either.

Rogers testing is done at fairly close distance; looking forward to your tests (with pictures!) at infinity.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

pdmphoto wrote:
I'm sure you've tested yours more than I tested mine. Still, I'm impressed by the flare resistance and lack of ghosting for a super wide angle. I would be really surprised if the 12-24 is as good as either.

Rogers testing is done at fairly close distance; looking forward to your tests (with pictures!) at infinity.

Roger and lensrentals use an optical bench, not Imatest,, so the tests are done at the infinity setting of the lens.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:26 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Trek_of_Joy wrote:
You can modify a lens cap to hold filters on lenses with bulbous front elements. I did one for the original Samyang 14mm. Though 12mm is much wider, that would be my first inclination as other solutions are incredibly bulky and expensive.

http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/2010/gear/filters-for-lenses-that-cant-take-filters/

For me this lens may bring me back into the Sony fold as Fuji has nothing that can compete. Damn you Sony!

Really nice explanatory video (after 2:30 mins, before which is very basic stuff). However why not just buy the special 150mm filter holders ? They are made for the Sigma 12-24 and also many other lenses.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:59 AM
Charlie N
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Frogfish wrote:
Really nice explanatory video (after 2:30 mins, before which is very basic stuff). However why not just buy the special 150mm filter holders ? They are made for the Sigma 12-24 and also many other lenses.

100x100 is enough of a pain as is, suggesting a bigger system is a no go for many

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:31 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Charlie N wrote:
100x100 is enough of a pain as is, suggesting a bigger system is a no go for many

Did you watch the video ? It shows how to make 150x100mm filters fit a number of lenses. All I'm saying is that there is already a system filter holder for the Sigma 12-24. Whether you want to take advantage of it or not is up to you.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:39 AM
Justin Stone
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

As an owner of an 18 Batis and 25 Batis, most of my wide angle work is done with these two lenses. I was originally thinking that the 16-35 could take the place of both of these lenses and satisfy all wide angle work. Especially if it was a real contender at all focal lengths.

The 12-24 has me rethinking my strategy of replacing these lenses though. Really it would compliment them, not replace due to the slower aperture. But it would do some additional work, like interior architecture (a poor man's 17tse, sacrificing resolution and mm for software perspective correction) and a light outdoor do-it-all option for landscapes.

Still I wish I knew what the 16-35 GM was going to look like on the bench and in the field before I cancel my 16-35 preorder and add a 12-24.

So many good wide angle choices...

So little money left for telephoto options.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:51 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Frogfish wrote:
Did you watch the video ? It shows how to make 150x100mm filters fit a number of lenses. All I'm saying is that there is already a system filter holder for the Sigma 12-24. Whether you want to take advantage of it or not is up to you.

I've seen the vid, and again, if I were to go the 150 route, there's already a system that makes it for the FE 12-24, and I already use the 100mm for that system, aware of it. In the field I have a 50mm, and the 100-300mm, and those have adapter rings on them, and barely fit standard bags. Either that or shoot without adapter rings in position and start mounting in the field. way too much trouble. With a 100mm set, I can leave the adapter rings on all my lenses and just go on without issue. People using 150 generally are ok with using just one lens most of the time.

Jun 28, 2017 at 01:13 PM
stevesanacore
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Very exciting news! I'd love to buy this lens instead of having to go with the Canon or Sigma. I've been renting the Canon when I really need this focal length but would love to just buy the Sony if it's that good. Thank you Roger.

Jun 28, 2017 at 02:06 PM
MJKoski
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

I can recommend Haida 150mm holder kit AND their filters which are top quality multicoated glass with almost neutral rendering. And what is important - they are EASY to wipe clean. I had it with Tamron 15-30 Nikon mount lens, worked wonders. Wonderpana is a bit clumsy compared to that, operating the huge polarizer is a mess and then screwing ND on top of that. I used Wonderpana with 17mm TS-E.

This 12-24 puts a lot of pressure to 16-35/2.8 GM now. With R2 and S2/A9 higher ISO settings are perfectly usable with f/4 for some astro work as well. Such as star trails stacking and tracking mount usage.

Jun 28, 2017 at 02:07 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password