FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              11       12       end

LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G
Roger Cicala at LensRentals just posted MTF and Variance Testing for the new Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G.
Looking at the results, the new Sony ultra-wide seems to be flat field without much astigmatism while maintaining high resolution and contrast. It did very well against the much heavier competition.

Here is an except from Roger's summary:

"The MTF results tell you if the lens should be a sharp lens, and the results here indicate that it should. That makes it worth further investigation for those of you interested in this focal length. It’s one of the more impressive Sony offerings that have come out; reasonable price, excellent MTF, reasonable sample variation.

There is something that is more interesting to me in the bigger picture, though. Sony has made this lens smaller than the others in this range, which will be nice sitting on an FE camera. And they’ve done that without the customary ‘Sony surcharge’, which is nice on your wallet. At this point, I can’t help but be very impressed."

Read entire review.

Pre-order: Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G

(Expected availability: Thu Jul 6)

B&H Photo | Adorama

Main features:
  1. Four Aspherical Elements
  2. One Super ED and Three ED Elements
  3. Nano AR Coating
  4. Direct Drive Super Sonic Wave Motor
  5. Focus Hold Button, AF/MF Switch
  6. Dust and Moisture-Resistant Construction
  7. Seven-Bladed Rounded Diaphragm
  8. Angle of View:122° - 84°
  9. Minimum Focus Distance: 11.02" (28 cm)
  10. Magnification: 0.14x
  11. Elements/Groups: 17 / 13
  12. Filter Thread: None
  13. Dimensions (DxL): Approx. 3.5 x 4.6" (88.90 x 116.84 mm)
  14. Weight: 1.24 lb (565 g)

Sony vs Sigma Art at 12mm

Sony vs Sigma Art at 24mm

Jun 27, 2017 at 09:04 PM
Chris_88
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Thanks for posting this, Fred (and as always, thanks to Roger for his hard work). I didn't expect Sony to make this lens as stellar as it apparently is. I wonder where that leaves the 16-35 GM. Given the significant price differential, you'd think that prospective buyers of the latter get more than the red GM label on the lens, one stop worth of extra light gathering power and a better built.

Jun 27, 2017 at 09:24 PM
Surfnsun
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

A compact wide angle lens sounds great for adventures when I'm out hiking. Sony is bringing some strong competition to the table. Between this and the release of the A9, a move to Sony is looking likely!

Jun 27, 2017 at 09:25 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

This lens appears to be very compelling

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:43 PM
Vcize
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Man I love shooting wide and this is very tempting. I think I'm leaning towards a 16-35 (F4) and Voigt 12 combo though primarily because then I'd only lose ability to use filters below 16mm instead of below 24mm.

Pretty amazing how far we've come in the last 3 years or so. We went from needing lenses to having a massive overlap of really really great lenses. From UWA up to about 85mm there are SO many different directions you can go to fill those FLs with incredible and fun lenses.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:01 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

There have been FE lens where I said 'you can shoot the native lens and it's as good as anything else', but from an MTF standpoint this is the first time I've said 'the native lens is better than anything else'.

I'm totally impressed that they did this while making it so small and light.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:16 AM
RoseandCharles
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

RCicala wrote:
There have been FE lens where I said 'you can shoot the native lens and it's as good as anything else', but from an MTF standpoint this is the first time I've said 'the native lens is better than anything else'.

Can you give us a sneak preview of the 16-35GM and how it stacks up? We're interested in both the 12-24 and the 16-35, but the inability to take threaded filters for the 12-24 puts a damper on things.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:20 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

RoseandCharles wrote:
Can you give us a sneak preview of the 16-35GM and how it stacks up? We're interested in both the 12-24 and the 16-35, but the inability to take threaded filters for the 12-24 puts a damper on things.

I've only tested a few and only a limited amount. Sony has said they'll get me 10 copies, but I've gotten burned jumping to conclusions on a couple of copies before.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:50 AM
Aztatlan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

RCicala wrote:

Thanks for your efforts, as always it is greatly appreciated.

On the topic of sample variation your blog mentions that the 12-24 appears well controlled in this regard. Whilst good news, do you think there is any risk that the 10 copies Sony supplied you have been "cherry picked" or represent a better-than-average sample due to not being retail stock?

Will you be planning on retesting the variation with 10 retail units?

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:59 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Sounds tempting

Jun 28, 2017 at 01:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Aztatlan wrote:
Thanks for your efforts, as always it is greatly appreciated.

On the topic of sample variation your blog mentions that the 12-24 appears well controlled in this regard. Whilst good news, do you think there is any risk that the 10 copies Sony supplied you have been "cherry picked" or represent a better-than-average sample due to not being retail stock?

Will you be planning on retesting the variation with 10 retail units?

I'll definitely test Lensrentals stock as it comes in and those are bought off the shelf like you would.

I'm sure some effort was made to cherry pick, it's normal in the industry. By that I mean if there was an awful copy it probably would have been spotted and removed from the group

Could they have hand-picked 10 really excellent copies that were really sharp, and most won't be that way? Well, we're flirting with nondisclosure agreements, but my fairly informed opinion is no, they couldn't and no they didn't.

I know most people think the manufacturers have lots and lots of test equipment. Most people are really wrong. Think about it: I test lenses for several manufacturers, and consult with them about testing methods. They don't have me do that because they have much better testing equipment and more accurate tests.

Metrology (optical testing) hasn't changed much in decades, most of what is used was developed for film. High resolution sensors have them all scrambling now. A couple of companies have already made testing adjustments, but most are just now realizing they need to make changes, and that takes some years to do.

Edited on Jun 28, 2017 at 01:38 AM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2017 at 01:33 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

This lens is yet another nail in somebody's coffin.

Jun 28, 2017 at 01:38 AM
azenis
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

This lens can't come soon enough...

Jun 28, 2017 at 01:48 AM
bargainguy

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Very interesting observations, and thank you for sharing them, Roger.

Ever since I got an a7 and then an a7ii, I've been looking for a lens like this. While the 16-35 FE was a possibility, I had heard about various issues - decentering and sharpness drop in the corners at the long end - that kept me from getting one. This one seems a much more likely contender if it doesn't suffer the same issues that the 16-35 did.

The fact that it's more compact is definitely a bonus. I have small hands and the a7x series is not exactly an ergonomic delight, so the less lens I have to hang on there, the better.

Jun 28, 2017 at 02:33 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

From earlier LensRental's optical bench tests, I copied and pasted the MTF graph from the Canon EF 16-35/4L IS and Sony FE 16-35/4 ZA lenses at 24mm versus the MTF from the new Sony 12-24/4 G.

Again, very good results from the new Sony ultra wide at its longest FL.
(Sorry Roger, I just used your previous graphs... )

Canon EF 16-35/4L IS vs Sony 12-24/4 @ 24mm

Sony FE 16-35/4 ZA OSS vs Sony 12-24/4 @ 24mm

Jun 28, 2017 at 02:42 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Whoah that is impressive.

I mean that this was the best all round hyperwide was good enough.

But it looks like it is, at its *worst* end perfirming comparably or in some places a tiny but better than anneasier to design 16-35 in the modern droe of its range....

Fred Miranda wrote:
From earlier LensRental's optical bench tests, I copied and pasted the MTF graph from the Canon EF 16-35/4L IS and Sony FE 16-35/4 ZA lenses at 24mm versus the MTF from the new Sony 12-24/4 G.

Again, very good results from the new Sony ultra wide at its longest FL.
(Sorry Roger, I just used your previous graphs... )

Jun 28, 2017 at 02:50 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Looks good for a zoom especially, and for a good price, but I wouldn't give up my great samples of the Voigt12 and Loxia 21. Besides sharpness, those lenses just have a really special IQ, great flare/ghosting resistance, and nice sunstars.

I'm also betting that users are going to see some significant sample variation. I'm sure Fred or Guy are going to get a near perfect one though

Jun 28, 2017 at 02:53 AM
Jimi3
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Has there been any talk of a filter solution for this lens yet? I'm currently using the sigma art, which I can adapt with the fotodiox nd throttle for long exposure seascapes...but for hiking, it's way too heavy. Looks like the Sony competes at less than half the weight!

Jun 28, 2017 at 03:46 AM
Charlie N
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

Jimi3 wrote:
Has there been any talk of a filter solution for this lens yet? I'm currently using the sigma art, which I can adapt with the fotodiox nd throttle for long exposure seascapes...but for hiking, it's way too heavy. Looks like the Sony competes at less than half the weight!

150mm..... not really interested in ditching 100mm.... Tape on a rear gel? Not sure why sony didnt include it, maybe someone can modify the baffle to take gels?

Jun 28, 2017 at 03:50 AM
chiron
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · LensRentals very impressed by the FE 12-24/4G

RCicala wrote:

How does the FE compare to the Canon 11-24L f/4? The Sony is certainly smaller and lighter. Is it optically as good as the Canon?

Edited on Jun 28, 2017 at 04:15 AM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2017 at 04:08 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password