New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Magazine cover

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Magazine cover

Congratulations to friscoron for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 19 votes - View Previous Winners

Seems like lately all I've been posting, the few posts I've shared, are dance shots. It's probably my favorite thing to shoot, but I really do a lot of other work: senior portraits, weddings, families, and editorial work for local magazines. I probably shoot about 20 covers a year for them, maybe a bit more.

This was my latest shoot. I knew it was going to be a challenge as we were shooting outdoors in mid-day sun. But I like the idea of having a challenge. This was shot at the Volo Auto Museum north of Chicago.

I wanted really bold colors in this shoot. So I went with ISO 100, f/4, and 1/3200 for my settings. This was shot on my D4 and 70-200 lens. I also used around 4 speedlights to offset any dark shadows from the direct sunlight.

Comments always welcome.

Jun 27, 2017 at 07:46 PM
gregfixit
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Magazine cover

Love it! The colors are great and the scene is very cool.
Great job dealing with the full sun.

Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Jun 27, 2017 at 07:53 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Magazine cover

Really sweet shot, Ron. Beautifully composed and nice touch of attitude going on.

Jun 27, 2017 at 08:36 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Magazine cover

Thanks, Greg!

gregfixit wrote:
Love it! The colors are great and the scene is very cool.
Great job dealing with the full sun.

Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Jun 28, 2017 at 02:23 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Magazine cover

Thanks, Chuck!

nolaguy wrote:
Really sweet shot, Ron. Beautifully composed and nice touch of attitude going on.

Jun 28, 2017 at 02:23 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Magazine cover

Great job! I like the retro hard lighting and eye popping colors.

Jun 28, 2017 at 03:16 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Magazine cover

All very retro and well done. Coke bottles seem to be the same age as the 'vette.

Jun 28, 2017 at 09:46 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Magazine cover

Good one, Ron.

Jim Rickards wrote:
All very retro and well done. Coke bottles seem to be the same age as the 'vette.

Nah... they didn't have the red labels back in the day. Come to think of it, I don't think they had the larger size bottles at all.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:53 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Magazine cover

dmacmillan wrote:
Great job! I like the retro hard lighting and eye popping colors.

Thanks, Doug! Hard lighting and hard colors is not usually my style, so I was eager to do this one.

Jun 28, 2017 at 02:34 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Magazine cover

Jim Rickards wrote:

Thanks, Jim!

Jun 28, 2017 at 02:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Magazine cover

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Good one, Ron.

Nah... they didn't have the red labels back in the day. Come to think of it, I don't think they had the larger size bottles at all.

Thanks, Ernie! There's another shot we were supposed to do, but it turns out the girl doesn't know how to drive her 'Vette, so her father is supposed to teach her this summer. But the shot I want has us both on the road, slow shutter speed. The idea is that it's a Coca-Cola shot. So I brought some Coca-Cola cans, and one of the models brought those Coke bottles, which was of course much better than my cans.

I remember now that the old Coke bottles just had that white label on them. I think I want to stick with the red label for the shot on the road we'll do later this summer.

Jun 28, 2017 at 02:37 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Magazine cover

Even if it's not period authentic, the red goes with the car...

Jun 28, 2017 at 06:59 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Magazine cover

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Even if it's not period authentic, the red goes with the car...

Exactly. The whole thing, right down to their lipstick.

Jun 28, 2017 at 07:35 PM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Magazine cover

Great coloring as you wanted. Great work. Good for you!

J. R.

Jun 28, 2017 at 07:36 PM
Gary Schmeidle
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Magazine cover

Great shot Ron, excellent work dealing with the harsh light and shadows. I love the popping red and wonderful curves you have captured in this shot!

Jun 28, 2017 at 07:46 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Magazine cover

I will go all Devil's advocate here and offer some critical feedback. Mainly one point: I find the car and its red color to be the most beautiful and eye catching aspect of this shot. So wonderful! That puts the two glamorous women in a probably unintended secondary position. It is probably impossible to match hues entirely. I find the red of the inner woman's outfit subtly jarring in this picture. Some color different in hue and maybe even tone might give her a more positive relationship to the car. But, I tend to think the car is too awesome for maybe even Rita Hayworth (well, her red hair would be a problem!). I do find the woman on the right meshes better with the scene. Maybe her placement on the right. Maybe the attention getting nature of her white shirt. Perhaps the more even skin tones. Ok. Enough unfettered opinion. Thanks for posting and I would love to see a pic with the car as the sole subject

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:49 AM
cmillc22
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Magazine cover

very nice shot and daring to put red on red on red and still maintaining individual depth, congrats

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:38 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Magazine cover

Thanks, all! I appreciate the feedback!

Brev00, we actually shot quite a few shots and really considered every position we wanted the girls to be in. We even shot from the side. For a magazine cover, we're obviously limited to a portrait aspect, whereas I normally like to shoot landscape. So they had a lot of choices to choose from. I really like how we're featuring the car, and then the girls are the icing on the cake. That's the way I look at this. That car is awesome, no doubt!

Jun 29, 2017 at 07:38 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Magazine cover

The '62 Vette is a classic. I have a '60 Vette, also red with white coves. I have wanted to do a photo shoot of similar nature with models done in period correct hair etc. But I struggle finding the right gals. Also the one time I tried to do a shot with two models I said never again. Just getting them coordinated was a PIA! I couldn't imagine trying to also pose them etc! You have done your usual high quality work. Very nice!

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:10 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Magazine cover

Herb wrote:
The '62 Vette is a classic. I have a '60 Vette, also red with white coves. I have wanted to do a photo shoot of similar nature with models done in period correct hair etc. But I struggle finding the right gals. Also the one time I tried to do a shot with two models I said never again. Just getting them coordinated was a PIA! I couldn't imagine trying to also pose them etc! You have done your usual high quality work. Very nice!

Thanks, Herb. Since this is a magazine shoot, I had a lot of help with the styling. The magazine editor works with a couple boutiques for the clothing, and then we send the models to a really good salon for hair and makeup. They really slayed the look here, esp with the hair.

I totally get what you're saying. I'm going to be doing another shot with at least one of the girls and that Vette on the road in either July or early August that I think you'll really like.

Jun 30, 2017 at 02:22 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password