New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

smkunder

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

Wondering if the future of XQD card in our D500's is in jeopardy ? Lexar is getting out of removable memory. That leaves only Sony producing XQD cards, and Sony did not use it in there flagship A9. Kind of worrisome.

Jun 27, 2017 at 02:09 PM
macpro88
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

Someone will likely swoop up Lexar; Micron Tech (current owner now dumped Lexar) is likely trying to better their position in on board flash storage and memory.

Lexar seems to be pretty big, I can't imagine someone is just going to let them die; but, I could be wrong.

Jun 27, 2017 at 02:21 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

Hopefully someone keeps them going at today's standards. Lexar regularly had the best performing cards and at the best prices.

Jun 27, 2017 at 04:22 PM
butlerkid
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

I was already worried about the XQD format surviving since Canon has embraced the CFast design....and Sony failed to incorporate XQD into the A9. Perhaps this and low volume helped Micron make this decision?

Jun 27, 2017 at 05:14 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

arbitrage wrote:
Hopefully someone keeps them going at today's standards. Lexar regularly had the best performing cards and at the best prices.

For SD cards they were slightly deceptive and not all that great though - for example, their top end SDHC 32GB card advertises 1000x speed, or 150 MB/s - amazing, considering that the top end SanDisk SDHC 32GB card only offers 95 MB/s, and the Lexar costs less than $5 more, or only $3 more per card if you buy a pack of two.

(Links to cards:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090738-REG/lexar_lsd32gcrbna1000_pro_1000x_uhs_2.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1282971-REG/sandisk_sdsdxxg_032g_gn4in_extremepro_sdhc_32gb.html
)

However, the Lexar offers much lower write speeds, even lower than the SanDisk. When you read the specs for each, the Lexar has 75 MB/s write speeds, whereas the SanDisk offers 90 MB/s. Since write speed is what matters for camera performance, the SanDisk is actually the better card, and it costs less.

Additionally, the Lexar card only offers that 150 MB/s read speed with UHS-II card readers - most card readers are UHS-I, which will limit it to less than 104 MB/s - close enough to the 95 MB/s of the SanDisk that I doubt anyone would even notice a difference.

So the Lexar certainly does have an advantage if uploading time to your computer is more important than clearing the camera buffer quickly, provided you have a UHS-II reader. For most photographers though, the card with the faster write speed is more beneficial.

For CF, XQD, and other formats I have no idea how Lexar stacks up though - hopefully they perform better than the SD counterparts.

Jun 27, 2017 at 07:52 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

Lexar has the fastest CF, fastest CFast, fastest XQD and fastest UHSII SD. But Sandisk has always dominated the UHS I SD as you mentioned. 4 out of 5 ain't bad. The only Sandisk I own are the UHS I cards and my free CFast card from the 1DXII. The best thing is they not only have the fastest (read speed) in those other four categories but they are usually the best value. So I stand behind my comment that it will be sad to see them go and I hope someone buys them and continues on with current products and prices.

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
For SD cards they were slightly deceptive and not all that great though - for example, their top end SDHC 32GB card advertises 1000x speed, or 150 MB/s - amazing, considering that the top end SanDisk SDHC 32GB card only offers 95 MB/s, and the Lexar costs less than $5 more, or only $3 more per card if you buy a pack of two.

(Links to cards:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090738-REG/lexar_lsd32gcrbna1000_pro_1000x_uhs_2.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1282971-REG/sandisk_sdsdxxg_032g_gn4in_extremepro_sdhc_32gb.html
)

However, the Lexar offers much lower write speeds, even lower than the SanDisk. When you read the specs for each, the Lexar has 75 MB/s write speeds, whereas the SanDisk offers 90 MB/s. Since
...Show more

Jun 27, 2017 at 08:48 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

Which card formats will the D810 successor support? With only one vendor of XQD cards, Sony, the format seems to be dying.

Jun 27, 2017 at 08:50 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

I won't speak to write and read speeds, nor the like and dislikes of people's preferences.

I will however say that I called this a year ago -- full stop.

Micron (despite what's being reported) could not afford to attach themselves to this bunch of idiots running Lexar. Their customer service alone... was enough to get me to liquidate over 5K in memory and readers. A two - three week turn-around on RMAs is NOT professional service. It never will be.

Despite knowing what I had invested in the company, they would refuse to expedite anything associated with their faulty gear. I hear the stories throughout the photo workrooms of others having the same issue with them.

If your using their stuff daily, it breaks down... A LOT.

I'm happy to see each and every one of them unemployed. It was a self-inflicted gunshot to the head in my opinion.

Jun 27, 2017 at 09:45 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

arbitrage wrote:
Lexar has the fastest CF, fastest CFast, fastest XQD and fastest UHSII SD. But Sandisk has always dominated the UHS I SD as you mentioned. 4 out of 5 ain't bad. The only Sandisk I own are the UHS I cards and my free CFast card from the 1DXII. The best thing is they not only have the fastest (read speed) in those other four categories but they are usually the best value. So I stand behind my comment that it will be sad to see them go and I hope someone buys them and continues on with current products
...Show more

Glad to know it's just UHS-I where they fall behind - even if they weren't better in other categories I agree that it's a shame to see them leaving the business, competition's always a good thing for us.

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

bjornthun wrote:
Which card formats will the D810 successor support? With only one vendor of XQD cards, Sony, the format seems to be dying.

no, actually the CFA has gone the way of XQD (PCIe based) and the form factor will remain. CFast is the dead horse running (SATA based)

XQD will be renamed CFexpress and will have multiple form factors in the end as its "signal path" is more open ended.

http://www.compactflash.org/assets/docs/cfapress/cfexpress_family_pr_160907.pdf

Jun 28, 2017 at 08:46 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

butlerkid wrote:
I was already worried about the XQD format surviving since Canon has embraced the CFast design....and Sony failed to incorporate XQD into the A9. Perhaps this and low volume helped Micron make this decision?

Lexar produces just about every form factor out there.

and in the case of sony the A9 is missing a few other things of higher order then just the card.

Edited on Jun 29, 2017 at 06:53 AM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2017 at 08:54 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

Lauchlan Toal wrote:

(Links to cards:
)

However, the Lexar offers much lower write speeds, even lower than the SanDisk. When you read the specs for each, the Lexar has 75 MB/s write speeds, whereas the SanDisk offers 90 MB/s. Since
...Show more

that information is highly device dependent.

example:
http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/fuji-x-pro2/fastest-sd-cards/d-card-speed-test/
http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d500/sd-and-xqd-card-speed-test/

SD in general is probably the biggest offender in realm of spec vs reality.

Edited on Jun 28, 2017 at 11:51 AM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2017 at 09:07 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

bjornthun wrote:

I'd put money on 1 XQD and 1 SD (hopefully UHS II and not crippled like the 5DM4's SD slot). 2 XQD would be best but for size/cost reasons they probably won't.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:36 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

butlerkid wrote:

Go visit B&H Photo and see what percentage of Sony video cameras do not have Dual XQD card slots.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:24 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

only their newer video products have XQD

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:50 AM
smkunder

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

Well I just ordered an Sony XQD card and USB adapter. I was holding off as I have not had the need yet but figure I better start getting a few just in case their future in jeopardy .

Jun 28, 2017 at 03:32 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

the air is thick with FUD here

Edited on Jun 29, 2017 at 06:56 AM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2017 at 04:32 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

I am waiting before buying a new D500. Too much up in the air.

Jun 29, 2017 at 04:10 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

really?

high FUD factor

Jun 29, 2017 at 06:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lexar getting out of removable storage

you all do remember that when the D4 came out only sony manufactured XQD up until the D4s. only then did Lexar come about with theirs.

Jun 29, 2017 at 06:58 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.