New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Off camera TTL flash help

ajamils
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Off camera TTL flash help

I recently started using Godox system (TT350S + 2 Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 TTL) at home to take some pictures of my kids and products that I sell I'm having a really hard time getting well exposed results using TTL. Previously I was using Yongnuo flashes in manual mode and was able to get consistent results after some trial and error but I thought that having TTL would reduce this time further but that's not been the case.

I use TT350s on top of A7rII and V850s either on the sides of the subject or one for background and one to provide additional light but my pictures come out well underexposed. I've tried dialing in the flash EC which made it a little better but still not usable.

I would appreciate it if someone can point me in the direction of a good off camera TTL guide or provide some info on how they are using off camera TTL with better results.

(Cross posted here due to no response on Sony forum)

Edited on Jul 14, 2017 at 01:42 PM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2017 at 09:15 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Off camera TTL flash help

Manual flash is synonymous with consistent results and is preferred in product photography and generally any situation where environment is static. No doubt you will find a setting or two that will solve your TTL woes, but even then, don't expect the same frame-to-frame consistency that manual flash provides.

Jun 27, 2017 at 07:46 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Off camera TTL flash help

Can you post a photo or two with the shutter speed, ISO, Aperture, etc? Also let us know what metering mode you're using, etc. Is your camera set to Manual, Auto, Aperture or Shutter priority? Is ISO auto or manual? Are you using Sony auto-focus lenses or an adapter and manual lenses?

Jun 27, 2017 at 08:23 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Off camera TTL flash help

On Adorama's website for the Flashpoint Li-Ion (rebadge of the Godox) there is a note that says:
"Users of the Sony A7R2 should note that R2 TTL function is still in the stages of development. Please watch for Flashpoint R2 firmware update."

So I think maybe there's an actual software issue that needs to be resolved and may not be a setting issue on your part.

Jun 30, 2017 at 03:04 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Off camera TTL flash help

Talisman for when the flash to subject distance varies use manual when the subject is consistent

Jun 30, 2017 at 04:18 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Off camera TTL flash help

Talisman for when the flash to subject distance varies use manual when the subject is consistent

Jun 30, 2017 at 04:18 PM
TheRoosta

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Off camera TTL flash help

Manual is the way to go, especially if your set up is relatively static, like a portrait shoot. I've driven myself half crazy dialing in exposure compensation, then taking shot after shot, and still not gotten the effect I wanted. I rarely (if ever) use remote TTL. Once you know your speedlight's characteristics you'll be able to get want you want within a couple of test images.

Jul 07, 2017 at 02:11 PM
Kathy Li

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Off camera TTL flash help

ajamils wrote:
I recently started using Godox system (TT350S + 2 V850II Li-ion) at home to take some pictures of my kids and products that I sell I'm having a really hard time getting well exposed results using TTL...

>koff< This is perhaps because the V850II is a manual-only flash that does not perform TTL. At all. For that you need the V860II. That's why it's more expensive.

TTL is actually great for product photography, I used to use it with a 580EX/430EX and ST-E2 combination when shooting fountain pens--the ST-E2 didn't allow for remote manual power settings, only TTL ratios. But it worked. But I'm a hobbyist shooter and didn't need a lot of shot-to-shot consistency. M, obviously, is better for locking down power settings if that's what you need.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:37 AM
elv000

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Off camera TTL flash help

ajamils wrote:
I recently started using Godox system (TT350S + 2 V850II Li-ion) at home to take some pictures of my kids and products that I sell I'm having a really hard time getting well exposed results using TTL.

The V850II are manual only flashes.

So unless you actually meant the V860II, then its no wonder TTL does not appear to be working well for you because TTL doesn't work at all with manual flashes like the V850II.

Jul 14, 2017 at 01:26 AM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Off camera TTL flash help

elv000 wrote:
The V850II are manual only flashes.

So unless you actually meant the V860II, then its no wonder TTL does not appear to be working well for you because TTL doesn't work at all with manual flashes like the V850II.

Sorry, I meant Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 TTL

Jul 14, 2017 at 01:42 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.