FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Bondi by drone

Aztatlan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bondi by drone

Took my drone over to Bondi Beach on the weekend for some aerial photography, although as it turned out I found the Bondi Icebergs pool beside the ocean to make a more interesting subject from the air.

Bearing in mind that it is the middle of winter here, there were plenty of eager swimmers in the water at sunrise.

I also had a look at the Bronte ocean pool just down the road, which was a little quieter.

Jun 26, 2017 at 07:46 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bondi by drone

Nice shots, it's nice to see venues from the air to give a new perspective. nice compositions and great tones.

Jun 26, 2017 at 09:36 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bondi by drone

Um.. No. It does nothing for me as far as a landscape.

I see nothing crafted or artistic here as far as a landscape. Nothing that would say "I crafted this still landscape image to achieve maximum impact on the viewer."

Only a drone snapshot. I do wish the Fred Miranda website would add some kind of drone forum so landscape doesn't become the catchall because people don't know where to put these. Perhaps there would be some artistic merit theere if other drone owners were competing against each other. It might improve the genre. But, in landscape it's just the odd duck out. I actually would have put this in people or sports due to the swimmers.

Of course, just my opinion.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:07 AM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bondi by drone

I think you captured the graphic elements very well.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:41 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bondi by drone

ckcarr wrote:

I see nothing crafted or artistic here as far as a landscape. Nothing that would say "I crafted this still landscape image to achieve maximum impact on the viewer."

Only a drone snapshot. I do wish the Fred Miranda website would add some kind of drone forum so landscape doesn't become the catchall because people don't know where to put these. Perhaps there would be some artistic merit theere if other drone owners were competing against each other. It might improve the genre. But, in landscape it's just the odd
...Show more

I would second this opinion. While this might compare well against other aerial shots, it is lacking in basic composition for a landscape. What is the point of interest here? If it's the people then there is a forum for that. If it's graphic, same thing. I would also second the vote for a "drone" or "aerial" shot category.

Jun 26, 2017 at 01:04 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bondi by drone

JohnBrose wrote:
Nice shots, it's nice to see venues from the air to give a new perspective. nice compositions and great tones.

Thanks

ckcarr wrote:

Only a drone snapshot. I do wish the Fred Miranda website would add some kind of drone forum so landscape doesn't become the catchall because people don't know where to put these. Perhaps there would be some artistic merit theere if other drone owners were competing against each other. It might improve the genre. But, in landscape it's just the odd
...Show more

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. To whether this is truly a landscape, it is a fair question. Approximately half the frame is the natural landscape (well, the ocean) and the other half is a man made structure. These two elements are brought together on the side of the ocean and ultimately I chose to post in here but in the absence of an aerial/drone forum, they would probably suit architecture as well. I would be quite happy to see a drone image forum, but with that said potential controversy around these particular images aside (given the man made element) the vast majority of my drone images are incontrovertibly landscape photography as there is generally no man made element within them. These are fairly unique in my portfolio in that respect.

What I look for in top-down aerials is shapes, lines, colours and patterns which interest me. I see it as large-scale abstract photography. Whether these are good or bad examples of aerial photography is always going to be up to the individual viewer, of course.

wlpelzmann wrote:
I think you captured the graphic elements very well.

Cheers.

dswiger wrote:
I would second this opinion. While this might compare well against other aerial shots, it is lacking in basic composition for a landscape. What is the point of interest here? If it's the people then there is a forum for that. If it's graphic, same thing. I would also second the vote for a "drone" or "aerial" shot category.

As per my above comments, I do not always shoot my aerials to have a specific and clear point of interest. In many cases they will simply be abstract images of a landscape - just taken from high in the air I won't profess to have invented this style of aerial photography - certainly not; but I am not alone in it's application. Whether the specific images posted here are good or bad examples of it is again, up to the individual. Whilst I appreciate the opinions, I do not feel that the lack of a specific and clear "point of interest" is detrimental to my intentions whilst taking the images. Cheers.

Jun 26, 2017 at 03:59 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bondi by drone

ckcarr wrote:

Only a drone snapshot.
Of course, just my opinion.

I guess if you're a strict traditionalist you'd feel that way. It does bring into question the definition of a landscape and if they don't belong here, just where they do belong.

If we put aside labels and categories for a moment, I find a lot of craft and artistry in these photographs. I especially like the composition and the use of the geometric shapes. I also like the figures in the frame to add some size perspective. I feel the post processing is spot on and enhances the images.

To me, there's more to landscapes than mountains, pretty flowers and sunsets like you would see in old editions of Arizona Highway. I applaud the OP for presenting a fresh point of view in such a creative way.

Jun 27, 2017 at 09:13 AM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bondi by drone

I really like #3, it has the best balance/interplay between the man made elements and the ocean shoreline to my eye.

These are fine by me in the landscape forum. Hard to make any kind of logical case that they're any different in content than a scene with a road, bridge, or old barn as far as inclusion of man made elements.

Love the different perspectives we are starting to see from drone shots, keep them coming!

Heron

Jun 27, 2017 at 02:20 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bondi by drone

These don't do anything for me either. Perhaps they would be abstracts? As it is the images feel very disjointed, and I would feel that way whether these were drone shots or if you had stood on a roof and shot downward to get this perspective.

Jim

Jun 27, 2017 at 05:40 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bondi by drone

dmacmillan wrote:
I guess if you're a strict traditionalist you'd feel that way. It does bring into question the definition of a landscape and if they don't belong here, just where they do belong.

If we put aside labels and categories for a moment, I find a lot of craft and artistry in these photographs. I especially like the composition and the use of the geometric shapes. I also like the figures in the frame to add some size perspective. I feel the post processing is spot on and enhances the images.

To me, there's more to landscapes than mountains, pretty flowers and sunsets
...Show more

Thank you

---------------------------------------------

OregonSun wrote:
I really like #3, it has the best balance/interplay between the man made elements and the ocean shoreline to my eye.

These are fine by me in the landscape forum. Hard to make any kind of logical case that they're any different in content than a scene with a road, bridge, or old barn as far as inclusion of man made elements.

Love the different perspectives we are starting to see from drone shots, keep them coming!

Heron

Cheers! I think #3 is my favourite too, actually.

---------------------------------------------

JimFox wrote:
These don't do anything for me either. Perhaps they would be abstracts? As it is the images feel very disjointed, and I would feel that way whether these were drone shots or if you had stood on a roof and shot downward to get this perspective.

Jim

Fair enough, to each his own. I do view the majority of my aerial images to be a form of abstract. I tend not to include any sky and mostly shoot top-down.

Jun 28, 2017 at 06:28 AM
srimmey
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bondi by drone

I'm not a fan of those first two, there are too many lines going in too many directions and I cant decide what it is I should be drawn to... but number 3!!!! IMO, number 3 could be in landscape or people forum. It has a perfect balance of man made symmetry and natural chaos. I am immediately drawn in by the lady in red who sticks out like a sore thumb. Thank you for posting this photo,it made my day.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:44 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.