New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Advice for Iowa Travel

DougVaughn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice for Iowa Travel

We're going to take a long 4th of July weekend and drive up to Iowa. Just picking a place we haven't been and hoping to find great farm and/or industrial scenes.

We're likely to be in the general vicinity of Davenport, Iowa City, and Cedar Rapids but will gravitate to the small towns in between. I'm looking for advice on small towns or interesting places we shouldn't miss. Our schedule is completely flexible, so we can move here or there within a couple hundred miles.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 25, 2017 at 09:32 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice for Iowa Travel

I'm right there with you.
Before all the old barns and open farmlands are gone forever.

Even though I make the trek back to Northern Illinois every year I can't offer that much advice, other than getting off the beaten path.

Jun 26, 2017 at 09:40 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice for Iowa Travel

DougVaughn wrote:
We're going to take a long 4th of July weekend and drive up to Iowa. Just picking a place we haven't been and hoping to find great farm and/or industrial scenes.

We're likely to be in the general vicinity of Davenport, Iowa City, and Cedar Rapids but will gravitate to the small towns in between. I'm looking for advice on small towns or interesting places we shouldn't miss. Our schedule is completely flexible, so we can move here or there within a couple hundred miles.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry Doug, don't know much about the eastern part of the state. If you make it to the western half, the Loess Hills are cool.

---------------------------------------------

ckcarr wrote:
I'm right there with you.
Before all the old barns and open farmlands are gone forever.

Its really getting hard to find a good barn. When both the wood as well as the land are valuable, they disappear fast. Its sad to see these magnificent structures disappear.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:33 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice for Iowa Travel

Haven't been there for several years but you might want to check on the Amana Colonies.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:10 PM
John Zeman
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice for Iowa Travel

It's in the north central part of the state but the Grotto of Redemption in West Bend is well worth a few hours visit.

On the far east side of the state the view of the Mississippi River from the Lansing city park is very impressive. Also the state parks just south of Bellevue and south of McGregor which also offer up high views of the Mississippi.

And if you're of a patriotic nature you might check out the numerous very impressive Freedom Rocks scattered around the state. The Freedom Rock web site is here: https://www.thefreedomrock.com/freedom-rock-tour-info/

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:52 AM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice for Iowa Travel

Thanks everyone for the ideas. The Freedom Rocks look pretty cool. I'm thinking we'll check out the Davenport area and maybe drive a little ways near the Mississippi, then head west toward Cedar Rapids and find as much farm land as we can. Hopefully some great small towns along the way decked out for Independence Day.

Jun 28, 2017 at 08:01 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice for Iowa Travel

Get a map, keep off I-80 if you can. Look toward interesting small towns in the grid.

Jun 28, 2017 at 09:16 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice for Iowa Travel

Visit the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake.. "The place that music died".
https://www.surfballroom.com/
Dan

Jul 03, 2017 at 08:14 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.