New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Really Right Stuff BH-55 & QR Plates

SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Really Right Stuff BH-55 & QR Plates

I have the Bh-55 with the locking lever and am finding that some of the qr plates I own are still loose when using this head. Are there any qr plates for less $$$ than the RRS plates that work well with this head?

Edited on Jun 25, 2017 at 09:52 PM · View previous versions

Jun 25, 2017 at 08:57 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Really Right Stuff BH-55 & QR Plates

I know what you mean. It's a problem when the clamp's throw can't be adjusted.

If you want a lever lock, try Acratech. They have an interesting combination of width adjustment screw and lever.
http://www.acratech.net/categories/quick-release-clamps.html

If you're OK with a screw-type clamp, there are lots of choices including RRS and Kirk. I've got Kirk QR clamps and really like them: half-turn releases the plate so you can tilt it out, and full turn fully releases the plate.

Pay attention, though, to the clamp's mount to the head. RRS uses a novel engaging boss approach that not all add-on clamps support. It's relatively easy to machine the required slot yourself with a Dremel or other tool, but you've got to be skilled with those tools. I have a RRS BH-40 that's made to accept any standard clamp. You might want to call RRS and ask them if they'd sell you an adapter to take their mount to a generic mount.

Jun 25, 2017 at 09:03 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Really Right Stuff BH-55 & QR Plates

Wimberley is the other plate maker that has the same geometry on their plates, and you can sure their plates work well in the Really Right Stuff lever clamps. But ofcourse Wimberley plates cost about the same as true RRS ones. Other plates may or may not work, as you have discovered. The plates made by Hejnar Photo claim to be compatible, and I own a few that work fine.

Some of the lever release clamps that RRS sells have a new design that accommodates a much wider range of plates and still clamps well. You could verify with RRS which clamps have the improved design, and consider replacing your lever clamp with a new one.

I really love RRS lever release clamps and RRS L brackets and RRS general purpose plates, and have a lot of there hardware. If I had mixed brands and was trying to find a solution, I would get rid of the plates that do not work, and acquire a few of the RRS plates that will for sure work, and move forward, knowing you have a reliable and easy to use system.

Many people that consider an adjustable clamp and get one are disappointed when it changes adjustment on its own, causing issues. Also, if you need to adjust it to fit different plates in your system, it is not really a quick release, and you would likely be better off with a screw clamp, or standardizing on plates that all fit.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:47 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Really Right Stuff BH-55 & QR Plates

as far a plates go there are some makers that build their product to higher tolerances.
Wimberley
more recent Kirk (made in the past 4 years)
hejnar
promedia gear

Jun 26, 2017 at 05:40 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Really Right Stuff BH-55 & QR Plates

Even with current tolerances, the six or so [year old] Kirk plates I have fit differently than my three RRS plates in my "new design" RRS clamp. The RRS plates all fit the same; two of the Kirks are a bit tight and the rest fit about like the RRS plates. However, the small difference in fit doesn't seem to bother the clamp; just makes me push harder to effect proper clamping. Hopefully this isn't shortening the clamp's life.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Really Right Stuff BH-55 & QR Plates

but they fit. and that why the tolerance is there. these are tools to be used and they will wear with time. i killed 1 lever lock due to my stupidity so far. so i got another one.

Jun 26, 2017 at 02:30 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.