FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

On my trip to GTNP, I rented a Tamron 150-600 so that I would be prepared if I saw any wildlife. Unfortunately wildlife was kind of scarce while I was there. I did get some prong horn, elk, deer, and bison, but no apex predators. Since I wasn't seeing much wildlife, I decided to put the lens to use on the mountain peaks. I have seen other images showcasing mountain peaks and thought I would give a shot at it. I don't know if I pulled it off like others have, I had difficulty "seeing" a good composition. Also, With the exception of about 5 days, 2 of which were completely cloudless, the mountains were completely clouded during the sunrise and sunset hours. The following images were taken in the morning on one of the days when the peaks were at least in partial view. I appreciate any and all comments.

Jun 25, 2017 at 05:44 PM
marcy45
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

those are lovely - I alway think the long lens can really produce some nice "landscape" shots

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:42 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

Jim, I really like landscape images taken with longer telephoto lenses. These are really nice. I think the first image is outstanding! Very nice work on these, and thanks for sharing.
Keith W.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:20 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

Great images, I especially like that first one, you have inspired me to try more long lens landscapes.

Jun 26, 2017 at 08:33 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

ben egbert wrote:
Great images, I especially like that first one, you have inspired me to try more long lens landscapes.

Thanks Ben. It was new for me as well. I had the rig clamped down tight on my tripod and was using pretty slow SS to get a low ISO. Worked out pretty well.

Jun 26, 2017 at 08:48 AM
Fotofly71

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

Beautiful mountain shots Jim. I never thought of using my long telephotos to isolate peaks, very original. I would like to know, however, what your camera settings were including what telephoto power you used.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:58 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

Fotofly71 wrote:
Beautiful mountain shots Jim. I never thought of using my long telephotos to isolate peaks, very original. I would like to know, however, what your camera settings were including what telephoto power you used.

I only thought about it since I had seen other shots. Composition wise, it isn't as easy as you'd think. So i wound up taking many images, and then settled on these.

I was using the tamron 150-600. The Teewinot shot was at ISO 100, 600mm, and f11. It took 1/50th a second. I was actually surprised I would get that sharpness at such a slow shutter speed, but I was using a remote. The other two were similar, but at different focal lengths. Ranging from 170mm to 210 mmm and 1/25th sec to 1/40th sec.

On the tripod, I turned VC off.

Jun 26, 2017 at 01:16 PM
bktools
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

Great, powerful images of the Tetons. Thanks for sharing, Jim.

Bob

Jun 26, 2017 at 02:40 PM
Lobohowler
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

Spectacular.

Jun 26, 2017 at 03:54 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

Beautiful light in the series. Well captured!

Jun 26, 2017 at 04:08 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

Beautiful light and clouds on all three. I like the composition on #3, the other two could be cropped a bit tighter, to lose non-essential parts.

Sasha.

Jun 26, 2017 at 05:42 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Grand Teton, Mt. Owens, and Teewinot

nicely done Jim.. looks cold out

Jun 27, 2017 at 04:38 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.