New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Night photography lens?

jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Night photography lens?

We have a trip to Ireland coming up, and I will be taking my Olympus OM-D EM1 with a variety of lenses. I would like to shoot some night photography (old ruins with Milky Way in the background), and the current candidate for this work is the Oly 12-40mm f2.8 lens. I have toyed with the idea of getting the Rokinon or the Olympus 12mm f2.0 to get that extra stop of light. On the positive side an extra stop is just that much more light, on the negative side is the expense and the hassle factor of one more bit of kit to carry around.
What do others think? I realize there is no right answer, and opinions may differ.

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:17 PM
NorthMac

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Night photography lens?

Easy one for me as I love my Oly 12mm lens - it is incredibly sharp and I did use it for some astro shooting this past winter. Keep in mind it weighs less than some of the granola bars I throw into my bag on walking-shooting days. I appreciate the Oly Pro zooms, but (except for my wildlife zoom) prefer to stay with the lightness and simplicity of the m43 primes. I was getting some decent milky way shots at ISO 3200, 15-20 seconds. I will also add that I found that this 24mm fov was the minimum to hope to get a large enough piece of sky, along with a slice of foreground.

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:24 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Night photography lens?

Question really isn't one so much of light, but how well a lens works for astro

The 12/2 Rokinon (goes by other names too) works very well because its not just fast, but also displays very little coma.

There are certainly faster lenses, but they can display horrible coma, essentially makes the stars near the edges of the frames look like blurred shapes instead of fine points of light.

12mm isn't super wide on m4/3, but the lens is good bang for the buck, and works well for a range of photo uses, not just astro so its a good buy overall IMO

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:33 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Night photography lens?

Thanks for the input. I feel an attack of GAS coming on (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) coming on. As you know there is no cure, but it can be managed with care.

Jun 26, 2017 at 01:26 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Night photography lens?

The Olympus 12/2 was an expensive lens when it came out but I believe the price has come down. It's certainly a jewel of a lens. I used it for my aurora shots:

http://yinyang.zenfolio.com/p342786316

Jun 26, 2017 at 03:53 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password