New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Jim Bridger country.

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Jim Bridger country.

Not sure he trapped this part of the bear river, but I doubt if the mountain men missed any stream in this area, In fact I had a beaver swimming around near me as I do every year here at Christmas meadows.

These are two sunsets from different nights. I had clouds the first night and used a polarizer but was unhappy with the comp. The second night I found a better spot after pushing through the dense growth, but had no clouds. I used my ND filter for a better reflection. I also have the fast water version from a bit later if anyone cares to see.

I want to post one of these to the landscape forum but wanted to run it by here first for suggestions and opinions on which one to post if any.

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:34 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Jim Bridger country.

I think the sky adds much more to #1 than in #2 but prefer the curves of the river in #2.

Composite them?

Bob

Jun 25, 2017 at 01:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Jim Bridger country.

That would be a much better image, but those sharp eyed guys at Landscape would spot the ruse and besides I make it a practice not to go that far. Not that it's wrong, but just a personal preference. I kick myself for not realizing it the first night when I had good clouds.

We landscape guys tend to return over and over to the same places as I have done here, I should have known better.

Jun 25, 2017 at 01:33 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Jim Bridger country.

I prefer the first for its idyllic and calming sense of serenity, detail and multi-faceted colour.

Jun 25, 2017 at 03:00 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Jim Bridger country.

ben egbert wrote:
That would be a much better image, but those sharp eyed guys at Landscape would spot the ruse and besides I make it a practice not to go that far. Not that it's wrong, but just a personal preference. I kick myself for not realizing it the first night when I had good clouds.

We landscape guys tend to return over and over to the same places as I have done here, I should have known better.

Agree with your preference on all counts. An academic exercise for composition.

Bob

Jun 25, 2017 at 03:15 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Jim Bridger country.

Rick Joyce wrote:
I prefer the first for its idyllic and calming sense of serenity, detail and multi-faceted colour.

Thanks Rick. Another nice analysis.

Jun 25, 2017 at 04:01 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Jim Bridger country.

I also prefer the first. I like the colors and of course the sky. I also like the composition of the first and don't feel the S shape in the second image adds much. I like the clean look of the water without the long exposure.

Very nice!!

Jun 25, 2017 at 04:07 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Jim Bridger country.

Camperjim wrote:
I also prefer the first. I like the colors and of course the sky. I also like the composition of the first and don't feel the S shape in the second image adds much. I like the clean look of the water without the long exposure.

Very nice!!

Thanks Jim, here is the second composition with fast water. Of course still no clouds.

Jun 25, 2017 at 04:29 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Jim Bridger country.

Tough call I think. #1 wins for the sky but I do like the long exposure effect and s curve of #2.

IMHO, both are worthy of posting over in landscape. But I understand why you don't want to.
Nice work again Ben!

And +1 on returning to the same place over and over. I literally just got home from doing exactly that with a waterfall I had posted here a few months back. This time I took the advice I got here and went right in and setup the camera a few inches above the water and shot some pano's. I think I might have something better this time. Including a wet ass. I think the water temp was about 50 deg.

Dave

Jun 25, 2017 at 05:13 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Jim Bridger country.

Thanks Dave. I may post them both but not together.I am inclined to go with the better comp over the clouds.

I am always looking for new locations, but within my radius of operation, and 30 years of doing it, there are not many places left. The variety has to be the result of season, time of day and changes in atmospherics. After a while, only a few locations draw you back. Having burned out my novelty days shooting other types of photography, I settled into this repletion.

As far as getting into the water, the temperature at sunrise was below freezing, I had frost on the tripod legs. I was in a parka and still cold. I kept thinking of those mountain men wading this water in winter to set traps and was incredulous.

This image was at sunset and it was well into the 40's at this time.

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:00 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Jim Bridger country.

Yeah, that scene looks pretty darn cold to me and I surely would not want to get wet.
I wasn't suggesting that you should have gotten in the water, just that someone had suggested that to me, thus my repeated attempt at a place I keep returning to.

I haven't been at this hobby for anywhere near 30 years yet, but I already feel like I've shot most of the good places now. As my gear and skills improve, I feel the need to keep returning in hopes of nailing the shot I always wanted. So far it ain't happened so I have another 25 years or so to get the shot.

I try to keep my eyes open for other "smaller" subjects to shoot while I'm out in the woods stomping around. I found some small little falls (maybe 1 foot tall) that I tried to figure out how to capture yesterday. They might turnout or they might not, but it was fun trying and gave me an excuse to get out there. Which is why I love this hobby so much.

Dave

Jun 26, 2017 at 08:29 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Jim Bridger country.

The only thing I saw on this trip outside my landscapes was some prairie dogs and my camp site. ere is my campsite which of course is just a record shot.

Jun 26, 2017 at 08:52 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Jim Bridger country.

Man, that looks like my kind of place to camp! You inspire me Ben.

What's the tent for? I thought you slept on that comfy looking bed in the back of your truck?

I wish I would have bought a 6' bed on my new truck. I bought a fold out cushion that is super comfy but I have to lay diagonally which doesn't leave much room for other gear like my grill. I have yet to put it to the test but hope to get up to the cove next month.

Dave

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:48 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Jim Bridger country.

Hi Dave, I use the tent for a place to be during the day when there is not photography. But this time I put up my cot and slept there too. Big mistake, the truck is much warmer I used my Little Buddy heater and saw frost on the butane tank.

Good thing I had the tent however, 15 minutes after setting it up we had a torrential rain storm and at least 30MPH wind. I was glad to have a place to get out of it.

This is 8,800 feet, the place I intended to camp, same as last years is over 10,000 feet, glad I was not there.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:08 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Jim Bridger country.

Overall I lean towards #1 but I like how Bob has combined the best features of both captures.
Beautiful scenes, well-captured.

Scott

Jun 27, 2017 at 07:54 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Jim Bridger country.

Thanks Scott. I went with 1 for Landscape posting and another forum I use (500PX). It's not a show stopper for sure, but what I consider a competent image. Nobody has commented on the processing so it must be acceptable. I think the first could use a bit more contrast however. I like the second better for everything but the clouds.

Jun 27, 2017 at 09:58 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.