New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Icelanders have had enough of tourists

Monika C
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Icelanders have had enough of tourists

....camping in their RVs outside of campgrounds https://grapevine.is/news/2017/06/21/icelanders-pummel-tourist-rvs/
....making food or sleeping at Harpa https://grapevine.is/news/2017/06/20/tourists-banned-from-sleeping-or-making-food-in-harpa/
....because they increase erosion at natural landmarks https://grapevine.is/news/2017/06/22/skogafoss-in-danger-of-destruction/

Jun 24, 2017 at 06:48 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Icelanders have had enough of tourists

http://icelandreview.com/stuff/views/2017/04/04/too-many-tourists

Jun 25, 2017 at 08:59 AM
hudsonhites

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Icelanders have had enough of tourists

Having just been to Iceland in April and I was surprised at the amount of tourists in what is considered the low season.

We drove the ring road heading West out of Reykjavik traveling clockwise around the country. It wasn't until we reached the southeast coast by Jökulsárlón did we encounter the large crowds of tourists coming from Reykjavik on day tours. We saw more people and traffic driving from Jökulsárlón to Reykjavik than the rest of the trip combined.

I wouldn't want to travel to Iceland in the high season it would be way too crowded for my liking.

I was surprised at how little supervision or official presence there was at many of the sites to prevent tourists from running wild.

The was also very few public restrooms or portable toilets at many of the tourist sites that would help some of the problem.

Jun 25, 2017 at 01:39 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Icelanders have had enough of tourists

Well it's no secret that hotels are very limited and expensive. The government has encouraged so many people to make 'stopovers' in Iceland without any real way to handle the crowds of people who will inevitably come. And on top of that you have a lot of young so-called 'budget' travelers from Europe and the US who don't mind sleeping on the ground. Either the city needs to build/subsidize more hostels or raise airfare prices to limit how many people move through the country.... maybe both.

And I agree with the poster above about lacking infrastructure to help crowd control at some of these areas. I was in Iceland in May and there's no real government presence at any of these invaluable natural wonders. While I thought it was great that all these sites were virtually free to access, I would be OK paying an entrance fee to help with conservation. I mean, if I have to pay $25 for a hamburger, why can't I pay $10 to see the Gullfoss?

On the plus side, all this tourism has saved the country from economic collapse, and it is not uncommon in many countries to see a sort of 'love-hate' relationship with tourists. They want tourism money, but not the actual tourists themselves. It's tough to have it both ways.

Jun 26, 2017 at 01:07 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Icelanders have had enough of tourists

Well, Iceland should do what we're doing in Moab. Put a hotel on every street corner, utilize every square inch of available property. Take every bit of land along the Colorado River and flatten it and make it another campground. Pave all the parking areas so the California and Colorado mountain bikers have a place to park and not get their SUV's dirty. That's the way to go. Iceland should follow suit. I'm sure all their citizenry would be as pleased as the locals are here...

Jun 26, 2017 at 02:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Icelanders have had enough of tourists

I did not like Iceland in March as much as I though I would- it was a busy as Banff in the summer. Its only 2 hours from Europe and the jets pour in for quick trips. Tourists climbing too close to anything pretty. Little control. Little planning for keeping the people off the views. its pretty and pretty interesting but there are other places that don't have the crowds.

Go to the high Canadian (Yukon, NWT, Nunavut) to avoid the crowds. Beautiful, long days, no one on the trails. Fly to Whitehorse and drive to Kluane or Dawson City or the Dempster Highway and experience scenery (glaciers, bears, landscape, First Nations events, muskox, caribou, wolves....)

Jun 28, 2017 at 08:48 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Icelanders have had enough of tourists

There is far too much lemming like behavior these days with tourists and photographers. I blame the internet.

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:15 AM
OregonSun
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Icelanders have had enough of tourists

ckcarr wrote:
There is far too much lemming like behavior these days with tourists and photographers. I blame the internet.

Completely agree. The only silver lining is that it concentrates the crowds in a few easily identified spots, leaving the out of the way places relatively untouched.

Heron

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:37 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Icelanders have had enough of tourists

No different in the United States with "tourists" taking selfies and oblivious to what they are tramping on. Add in the idiots who want to carve their names on trees, rocks, park benches and tables, etc.

The ease of access allows anyone to get to these places and not having to work at it they have less of an appreciation. I saw that in the National Forests after Nixon opened them up to access by motorcycles and I see it now with the snowmobile and ATV and other off-road vehicle users who damage the landscape and wildlife without a second thought.

Jul 02, 2017 at 08:57 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password